Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where’s the beef? Well, don’t look now but Cam Akers is all beefed up this season…

July 28, 2023 05:34AM
Where's the beef? Well, don't look now but Cam Akers is all beefed up this season

[ramblinfan.com]

Bret Stuter

The LA Rams need a dangerous running attack this season. While I may have given up hope for a balanced offensive distribution between the number of running plays to passing plays, I cannot retreat from lobbying for better running for the Rams in 2023. The running game is part of the Rams DNA. It's genetics. Running the football has been the trademark of the Rams organization almost from the beginning of the franchise.

A Rams rushing renaissance is long overdue.

But progress in that department may be already on the way. After all, the LA Rams did hire highly-respected running backs coach Ron Gould in the offseason, a hire that we are excited about. While we are still awaiting tangible evidence that the Rams' running backs have more in store for 2023 than the same old stuff, we are already getting some great clues that changes are on the way.

Like what?

Running back Cam Akers, entering his fourth NFL season, has found a version of the Super Soldier serum and has shown up to the LA Rams training camp more buff and muscular than ever.

Rams rushers packing more powerful punch

Officially, LA Rams running back Cam Akers is listed at 5-foot-10 and 217 pounds. But it's clear that he has added a bit of muscle this year, and that is undoubtedly due to the recommendation of Coach Gould to bulk up a bit more.

Cam Akers is due for a breakout season, and it appears that he is doing everything necessary to ensure that happens this year. Can he deliver? I think he will. After all, let's look at his production so far?

Now, keep in mind that his 2021 season was derailed due to an Achilles Tendon injury that all but ended his second year. What many overlook is the fact that his injury carried over into the 2022 NFL season as well. In fact, it was not until Week 12 on November 27, 2022 in a game against the Kansas City Chiefs that he finally started and began to show signs of being back to his true form.

Rams need Akers to flourish this season

Akers would go on to pile up 655 yards and six touchdowns over the final seven games for the LA Rams. And those final three games he averaged 115 yards and one touchdown per game.

If you enjoy Fantasy Football, You will have a far better chance of winning your league if you add Cam Akers to your FF team. He is currently ranked from 18th to 20th in terms of 2023 running backs, but I believe that he will end this year among the Top 10 running backs.

While you may not be as confident as I am that Akers will get enough carries this year to land among the Top-10, keep in mind that the LA Rams are very motivated to get the most ouf of veteran quarterback Matthew Stafford this season. And one simple way to ensure that he stays upright is to run the football.

We know that if the LA Rams have a healthy Stafford, wide receivers Cooper Kupp and Van Jefferson, and a tight end, the Rams can win a Super Bowl with next to nothing in terms of a rushing attack. But getting to a Super Bowl means saving your best for last.

Where's the beef? For the LA Rams, it looks like that's RB Cam Akers.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Where’s the beef? Well, don’t look now but Cam Akers is all beefed up this season…

Rams43167July 28, 2023 05:34AM