Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 5 defensive questions that must be answered as Rams open training camp…

July 25, 2023 10:25AM
"When will Morris tighten up the 3rd down defense?

For Rams fans, one of the most aggravating things about DC Morris’ scheme is the cushion that L.A. coverage’s allow, particularly on 3rd down attempts. That goes across the board, for cornerbacks, safeties, and linebackers. Even with all the injuries, the run defense was a mid-pack unit last season and in the Top 10 for 2021. It’s one thing to be pounded on 3rd and 3 or less and the chains move, but it’s cringe-worthy and demoralizing when the line to gain is 6-7 yards, the corners are 10 yards off and allow pitch-and-catch conversions

Overall, the defense bent for 40.4% of 3rd down conversions. The pass defense allowed a poor completion percentage of 67.4, but with a stellar average depth of target of 6.8 yards. It doesn't take a math major to figure out that’s a lot pitch-and-catch on short throws. With the NFL trending to wide receivers who have run after catch skillsets, some consideration must be made to keeping those weapons from getting the ball with a step in space to juke or overpower the coverage.

Maybe some of the reason for all the soft zone is the players that DC Morris inherited were not particularly good at it. Fair enough, there’s a point there. Now though, he’s had three drafts to bring in the type of player/skillset he covets. Jordan Fuller is the only holdover from the secondary or linebacker unit that pre-dates him."

That about sums it up pretty well for me and I am sure plenty of others too. Enough is enough with the Prevent Defense. Let's put that Charmin Shell to bed for good and stop playing scared. beer cheer smiley

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

5 defensive questions that must be answered as Rams open training camp…

Rams4388July 25, 2023 06:40AM

Re: 5 defensive questions that must be answered as Rams open training camp…

Ramsdude67July 25, 2023 10:25AM