Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Article: Kevin Demoff: Rams only had “casual conversations” about trading Stafford

July 19, 2023 02:44AM
Sure Kevin! Whatever you say! rolled eyes smiley

Kevin Demoff: Rams only had “casual conversations” about trading Stafford
link

Rams COO Kevin Demoff isn’t exactly denying that his team considered moving on from quarterback Matthew Stafford this offseason, but he is downplaying talk that the Rams wanted to get rid of the quarterback who won a Super Bowl for them just 17 months ago.

Demoff said on the 11 Personnel podcast that teams reached out for “casual conversations” about acquiring Stafford.

“Those conversations frustrated me because I think it’s trying to inject narratives that aren’t there,” Demoff said, via USA Today. “I know there are reports that we tried to trade Matthew. We were not actively trying to trade Matthew. I know Les has rebuffed that before. It’s just not the case. I think if you wanted to be in the reality of the NFL, there are 10 teams this year, at least, that are going to have different quarterbacks. We were obviously aggressive in remaking our roster in March. It would be naive to think that people didn’t inquire about what was going to happen with the player who the year before won the Super Bowl. It’s different than whether people inquire, whether there are casual conversations.”

Demoff said the Rams still view Stafford as their franchise quarterback, but also didn’t rule out the possibility of a trade.

“He is a pillar, we value him highly,” Demoff said of Stafford. “Now, again, if someone did come in offering a ridiculous trade package, I think you owe it to your organization to listen the same way you would anyone. I think Les said people called about nine players during the offseason. That’s grown probably since that time.”

Demoff denied that the Rams discussed restructuring Stafford’s contract and said the team is fully prepared to keep him on the books on a deal that has an affordable cap hit of $20 million this year but cap hits of about $50 million a year for the next three years..

“The part that frustrated me was this notion that we were trying to get away from the $59 million and that was the only way to do it through trade,” Demoff said. “That tells you that you didn’t have an understanding of the situation. Matthew’s dollars after 2022 were unguaranteed. We could’ve walked away this year, free and clear, for $0. No future money owed. So there was no need to restructure. If we wanted out of Matthew’s deal, we could’ve walked away. We didn’t have to trade him to relieve the $58.5 million. We could’ve just walked away. To me, that’s where there’s a fundamental understanding of what his deal was that drives the narrative, ‘Oh, we were desperately trying to get rid of that.’”

For now, the Rams say they’re not trying to get rid of Stafford. Next year, that certainly could change.

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Article: Kevin Demoff: Rams only had “casual conversations” about trading Stafford

Ramsdude110July 19, 2023 02:44AM

Re: Article: Kevin Demoff: Rams only had “casual conversations” about trading Stafford

Rams4338July 19, 2023 05:01AM

Re: Article: Kevin Demoff: Rams only had “casual conversations” about trading Stafford

Ramsdude18July 19, 2023 06:35AM

Rams4327July 19, 2023 06:37AM