Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Deadpool's 2023 Big Board by Position List - Defense

April 11, 2023 10:54AM
These are my final positional rankings. Some of these guys (especially the LBers) could end up on 2 or 3 lists. I put them where I personally like them the best.

I put this is in a separate post from my Big Board to make it easier to ask and answer questions, but if the admins want to join them, I do not care.

I will put my own thoughts under each position as far as depth and what I think of some of the prospects.

And just for R2K, I will throw in lines where there are tier breaks. Not all tiers are created equal, so keep that in mind.

IDL: (14 players)

21. Jalen Carter – IDL – Georgia – 6'-3” 314 lbs. - A man amongst men, agile for his size and super powerful, overwhelming opponents, my #2 prospect if I wasn’t so concerned with character and dedication issues. Scheme diverse.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

33. Calijah Kancey – IDL – Pitt. - 6’-1” 281 lbs. - Athletic freak, undersized with an explosive get off and a non-stop motor. He’s not AD, but I get the comp. 43 3 tech or 34 DE.

51. Mazi Smith – IDL – Michigan – 6'-3” 323 lbs. - Top rated 34 NT, A monster against the run and able to handle double teams. Has his moments rushing the passer, so there is upside. 34 NT

62. Keeanu Benton – IDL – Wisconsin – 6'-4” 309 lbs. - His length, incredible strength and knowledge of leverage stemming from his wrestling background make him a beast against the run. Linear and a bit stiff as a pass rusher. 34 NT.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

88. Siaki Ika – IDL – Baylor – 6'-3” 335 lbs. - Fairly athletic with plenty of strength and built in leverage to anchor. Not a ton of pass rush potential. 34 NT

107. Gervon Dexter Jr. - IDL – Florida – 6'-6” 310 lbs. - Love his size, initial burst and athleticism. But his height creates issues when he gets too upright. Not the most consistent motor. 43 3T.

115. Zacch Pickens – IDL – South Carolina – 6'-4” 291 lbs. - Athletic, quick with enough power to handle the run and get to the QB. A bit undersized and can get stonewalled. 34 end or 43 3T.

128. Byron Young – IDL – Alabama – 6'-3” 294 lbs. - All day strong with a solid achor to handle the run. Lacks the athleticism to be an effective pass rusher. 43 3T, but should work in any scheme.

135. Jerrod Clark – IDL – Coastal Carolina - 6'-4” 334 lbs. - Size and power to handle the run, and the power and length to bull rush the QB. Good effort player, esp for his size. 34 NT

182. Jalen Redmond - IDL - Oklahoma - 6'-2” 291 lbs. - Strong, fairly quick with a big motor. He can penetrate and cause issues all day. Undersized and lack of length could be an issue. 43 3T or 34 DE

200. Cameron Young – IDL – Miss. State – 6'-3” 304 lbs. - Aligned as a 2 gap NT. He is a run stuffer with good power, but lacks the twitch and mobility to pressure the QB. 34 NT.

208. DJ Dale – IDL – Alabama – 6'-2” 291 lbs. - A nice power/athletic profile to become a penetrating disruptor. Inconsistent and 24 years old. 34 or 43 fit.

213. Keondre Coburn – IDL – Texas – 6'-2” 332 lbs. - Athletic given his size, good power and a hot motor. Has sub 32” arms, losing the leverage battle. 34 NT

221. Nesta Jade Silvera – IDL – Arizona State – 6'-2” 304 lbs. - Quick and powerful with a great motor. Flashes pass rush ability. Solid against the run. Lacks production. 34 or 43 scheme.

This class is not great at the top and not very deep. I will say this: there are some nice 34 NTs in this draft. I personally wouldn't draft Carter with a gun to my head. His pro day was an embarrassment. He looked out of shape and couldn't finish drills. This after the racing incident and the 2 year long rumors that he doesn't love football. He looks like a colossal bust in the making. Kancey is a guy I really like and have for some time now, but I'm not trading up for him. After that are some nice nose tackles. My 2 favorites are Benton and Clark. If I'm drafting one late its Silvera.

EDGE: (37 players)

2. Will Anderson Jr. - EDGE – Alabama – 6'-3” 253 lbs. - Very good at everything, but not elite in any trait. 34 OLB

3. Tyree Wilson –EDGE – Texas Tech – 6'-6” 271 lbs. - Bull rusher with incredible strength and length, can play inside and out. Multiple scheme diverse.

7. Myles Murphy – EDGE – Clemson – 6'-5” 268 lbs. -Athletic, quick and powerful. Wins in a variety of ways. Some lower body stiffness to flatten out his arc. 34 or 43 edge.

26. Lukas Van Ness – EDGE – Iowa – 6’-5” 272 lbs. - Strong and fairly athletic. A speed to power bull rusher. Has played inside and out. Why did he never start? 43 edge

39. Tuli Tuipulotu – EDGE – USC – 6'-3” 266 lbs. - A speed to power bull rusher with the strength to hold his own against the run. I’m not sure his position. 34/43 scheme diverse.

41. Nolan Smith – EDGE – Georgia – 6'-2” 238 lbs.- Athletic freak of nature with a red hot motor. Team leader and high character. Lacks production for his intangibles. 34 or 43 OLB.

42. Isaiah Foskey – EDGE – ND – 6'-5” 264 lbs. - Elite athleticism, team leader and ideal size. Great motor. Run defense is a work in progress. I like him way more than most. 34 edge.

44. Keion White – EDGE – Georgia Tech – 6'-5” 285 lbs. - Tremendous size with freakish athleticism. A converted college TE, still a work in progress. Huge upside guy. 34 or 43 End.

48. Will McDonald IV – EDGE – Iowa State – 6'-4” 245 lbs. -Speed to power converter, shows a pass rush plan. Big motor. Needs to get better at defending the run. ISU used him as a 4T, so some projection. Will be 24 before season. 34 OLB.

54. Felix Anudike-Uzomah – EDGE – Kansas State – 6'-3” 255 lbs. - Athletic, quick with an advanced pass rush toolbox. Average against the run and could get stronger. A bit raw. 34 OLB

59. BJ Ojulari – EDGE – LSU – 6'-2” 248 lbs. - Explosive and bendy, he wins with athleticism over brute force. Lacks some length and could get stronger against the run. 34 OLB.

60. Derick Hall – EDGE – Auburn – 6'-3” 254 lbs. - Good length and power. Pass rush is unrefined. A bit stiff, making him a speed to power rusher. 34 OLB.

76. Byron Young – EDGE – Tenn. - 6’-2” 250 lbs. - Fluid, fast with a hot motor. He’s a handful from the snap. Needs to get stronger. 24 years old. 34 OLB

83. Adetomiwa Adebawore – EDGE – Northwestern – 6'-2” 282 lbs. - Should be able to run a 4.49 40. Fast and quick and has played all over that NW line. A linear speed to power rusher on the outside. Big motor. Needs to find the right team and focus on 1 position. Any scheme specific.

95. KJ Henry – EDGE – Clemson – 6'-4” 251 lbs. - Quick first step with good power. A tad stiff and lacks some athleticism. 34 OLB or 43 DE

97. Andre Carter II – EDGE – Army – 6'-6” 256 lbs. - His length and explosive first step make him dangerous from the jump. Has all the physical tools. High character, red hot motor. TE convert. He is extremely raw. Ignore his combine as the Army doesn’t allow him to train for its events. 34 OLB, could grow into a 43 DE.

100. Zach Harrison – EDGE – Ohio State – 6'-5” 274 lbs. - Explosive DE with decent power and good athleticism. Lacks production. 43 DE.

109. Mike Morris – EDGE – Michigan – 6'-5” 275 lbs. - Size and length to set the edge against the run. He is a slow burn, power rusher. Great production last year. Not real athletic. 43 DE.

110. Dylan Horton – EDGE – TCU – 6'-4” 257 lbs. - I like his athleticism, relentlessness and violence he plays with. He will wear you out. Solid against the run. A bit stiff and lacks a robust pass rush set. 34 OLB or 43 DE.

117. Karl Brooks – EDGE – Bowling Green – 6'-4” 290 lbs. - He’s all power and effort. Not much wiggle. A linear bull rusher with great production. Run defense needs work. 43 or 34 DE.

120. Colby Wooden – EDGE – Auburn – 6'-4” 273 lbs. - Good size and power. Very good run deffender and edge setter. Pass rush lacks imagination. 43 base end, could move inside.

122. Nick Herbig – EDGE – Wisconsin – 6'-2” 240 lbs. - Tons of sack production. Run defense is OK, but limited due to size. Full pass rush toolbox. Undersized. 34 OLB.

134. Nick Hampton – EDGE – App. State – 6'-2” 236 lbs. - Bendy, fluid and has an explosive first step. Run defense is not his forte due to size. 34 OLB.

151. Moro Ojomo – EDGE – Texas – 6'-3” 292 lbs. - Big bodied DE, surprising athlete with a nice first step to get the jump on OL. Power is OK. 43 DE.

152. YaYa Diaby – EDGE – Louisville – 6'-3” 263 lbs. - Good production, good strength. Not a great run defender. Developmental type with upside. 34 OLB.

161. Thomas Incoom – EDGE – Central Michigan – 6'-2” 262 lbs. - Relentless pass rusher with a variety of ways to win. Level of competition is a concern, and is still learning. 34 OLB.

171. Tavius Robinson – EDGE – Ole Miss. - 6’-6” 257 lbs. - Height plus length gives him a natural advantage. Explosive first step, converting speed to power. He needs to get stronger. 34/43 EDGE.

184. Robert Beal Jr. - EDGE – Georgia – 6'-4” 247 lbs. - explosive with very good power. He converts speed to power. Love his motor. Lacks prodcution for his athletic profile. 34 OLB.

205. Viliami Fehoko – EDGE – San Jose State – 6'-4” 276 lbs. - Strong with a nice motor. He just keeps coming at you. Good production. Not super twitchy. Scheme versatile.

211. Isaiah Land – EDGE – Florida A&M – 6'-3” 236 lbs. - Quick and fast, bendy enough to flatten the arc. Lacks strength but is relentless. Run defense lacks due to size. 34 OLB.

214. Lonnie Phelps – EDGE – Kansas – 6'-2” 244 lbs. - Another undersized, relentless pass rusher. Can’t exchange power at LoS. Speed is his weapon of choice. 34 OLB.

216. Habakkuk Baldonado – EDGE – Pitt. - 6’-4” 251 lbs. - Good strength and good athleticism to corner the edge. Can set an edge against the run. From Italy with 1 year of HS football. So a raw piece of clay with tremendous upside. 34 OLB or 43 DE on passing downs.

229. Ali Gaye – EDGE – LSU – 6'-6” 263 lbs. - Length and athletic profile to be disruptive, but lacks production. Something is holding him back. 43 DE

235. DJ Johnson – EDGE – Oregon – 6'-4” 260 lbs. - Explosive first step, good athlete. Decent power. 24 years old, not a great run defender and needs more pass rush tools. 34 OLB

247. Eku Leota – EDGE – Auburn – 6'-3” 252 lbs. - Good motor, with a nice pass rush set. Lacks in the run defense department and a torn pec cut his season way short. 34 OLB.

249. Tyrus Wheat – EDGE – Miss. State – 6'-2” 262 lbs. - Stout against the run, power, bull rusher. Kind of a jack of all trades, master of none. 34 OLB.

253. Isaiah McGuire – EDGE – Missouri – 6'-4” 268 lbs. - Plays with red hot motor, big effort guy. Can defend the run and pressure a QB. 34 or 43 scheme

This is a deep group. I think Anderson is the safest pick, but unlike top pass rushers of past drafts, there is nothing super elite about him, from athleticism to size to strength. Wilson is just freaky, OTs are so worried about his power, he can then deek him with speed. Big boom or bust. Tier 2 is my favorite tier. If you are paying attention I think you are starting to notice my favorite tiers are usually 2 or 3. Thats why I want 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks galore. If the Rams come away with someone in tier 2, I'll be a happy camper. Keion White is the only one I'd have concerns with in regards to the Rams, simply on his learning curve. After that I like Beal, Phelps, McGuire, Baldonado, Horton, Diaby and Herbig. I am hoping for 1 early and 1 late.

LB: (18 players)

31. Jack Campbell – LB – Iowa – 6’-5” 249 lbs. - A throwback MLB with great instincts, plenty of stopping power and surprising range for his size. Can he stay on the field on 3rd downs? ILB any scheme.

32. Drew Sanders – LB – Arkansas – 6'-4” 235 lbs. - Super athletic, played inside and outside with very good sack production. I called him Micah Parsons-lite. Needs to get stronger. Scheme diverse.

35. Trenton Simpson – LB – Clemson – 6'-2” 235 lbs. - Best cover LBer in the draft. Super athletic. Played inside and outside LB. WILL or 34 ILB.

57. Henry To’oTo’o - LB- Alabama – 6'-1” 227 lbs. - Smart, instinctual, physical and the leader of that Alabama D. Only concern is his size. ILB any scheme.

73. Noah Sewell – LB – Oregon – 6'-1” 246 lbs. - Strong and physical ILBer with some pass rush ability. He flies all over the field. Not the rangiest LBer and a bit mechanical. ILB any scheme.

78. Daiyan Henley – LB – Washington State – 6'-1” 225 lbs. - The best of the undersized backers. Lots of range, hard hitting and instinctual. Lacks the size to bang heads up with OL. OLB in a 43.

118. Dee Winters – LB – TCU – 5'-11” 227 lbs. - Played all 3 LBer spots plus a bit of safety. Lots of range. Good ball skills. Wish he had more size. 43 WILL.

127. DeMarvion Overshown – LB – Texas – 6'-3” 229 lbs. - Aligned inside and out for Texas. I love his range and ability to cover (former safety) He wins with athleticism and speed, not size and brute force. No stack and shed ability. OLB in a 43.

149. SirVocea Dennis – LB – Pitt. - 6’-0” 226 lbs. - A rangy, instinctual MLB. He lacks the size to hold up inside. Should move outside, where he can seek and destroy. 43 WILL.

160. Owen Pappoe – LB – Auburn – 6'-0” 225 lbs. - Another undersized ILB, that to realized his potential needs to move outside. Tons of range. Solid against the run. 43 WILL.

173. Marte Mapu – LB – Sac. State – 6'-3” 217 lbs. - played safety and outside. Athletic and physical (considering his size) He needs to add at least 10 lbs. Of good weight. Passing down backer.

186. Ivan Pace Jr. - LB – 5'-10” 231 lbs. - Nose for the ball. A ton of tackles and 10 sacks as a MLB? Wow. Undersized, though. So moving outside. 43 WILL.

203. Mohamoud Diabate – LB – Utah - 6'-3” 220 lbs. - Sideline to sideline backer with some ability to blitz. Not great covering in space. He’s physical for his size. 43 WILL.

204. Charlie Thomas – LB – Georgia Tech – 6'-3” 216 lbs. - Played a combo S/LB position. Like a Big Nickel. I think he has the ability to play the same role on passing downs. Nice instincts, good speed and a solid tackler. Wish he was 15 lbs. heavier. 43 Will/Big Nickel Safety.

226. Yasir Abdullah – LB – Louisville – 6'-1” 237 lbs. - He played a WILL/34 edge spot. 19.5 sacks in last 2 years, but also plenty of other stats to fill the stat sheet. Not much of a pass rush set. Is he an undersized 34 or a blitzing 43 WILL? Scheme diverse in an aggressive defense.

227. Dorian Williams – LB – Tulane – 6'-1” 228 lbs. - Tons of production from the MLB spot. He gets sideline to sideline quickly. Shedding blocks are an issue. 43 WILL.

241. Ventrell Miller – LB – Florida – 6'-0” 232 lbs. - Good instincts, excellent range. A bit of a thumper and can drop into coverage. Maybe limited by size. 34 ILB

245. Bumper Pool – LB – Arkansas – 6'-2” 232 lbs. - 320 tackles in 3 seasons. Fairly fluid and rangy with good instincts. I think he can drop into zone coverage. Wish he was stronger. 34/43 ILB.

This just isn't a great class. The top tier are all 2nd rounders IMO. So many undersized LBers, its frustrating. I blame the spread offense in college football. If you need a WILL backer this year, wait and draft one on day 3. If you need a SAM, you are in trouble. ILBers are spread throughout. If the Rams want ILBer depth, I'm waiting until round 7.

CB: (33 players)

6. Christian Gonzalez – CB – Oregon – 6'-1” 197 lbs. - Lab built size for the modern CB. Good instincts. Fluid athlete with the speed to hang. Scheme diverse.

9. Joey Porter Jr. - CB – Penn State - 6'-2” 193 lbs. - Long, quick and strong press man CB. He’s OK in zone. Man scheme.

22. Devon Witherspoon – CB – 5'-11” 181 lbs. - Another physical and aggressive CB. He can work in any scheme as a true #1 CB. Scheme diverse.

24. Cam Smith – CB – South Carolina – 6'-1” 180 lbs. - Fast, twitchy CB with good ball skills. Not afraid of the run. Scheme diverse.

25. Clark Phillips III – CB – Utah – 5'-9” 184 lbs. - Big dog in a small dog body. We all know someone like that. Super athletic. Insane ball skills. Scheme diverse.

28. Kelee Ringo – CB – Georgia – 6'-2” 207 lbs. - built for a cover 3. Love his size/speed combo. He’s a bit stiff IMO. Zone scheme.

43. Emmanuel Forbes – CB – Miss State – 6'-1” 166 lbs. - Fast, athletic and aggressive to the Nth degree. His lean frame is cause for concern. Scheme diverse.

58. DJ Turner – CB – Michigan – 5’-11” 178 lbs. - Sub 4.3 speed. Fluid athlete and good technique. I worry about his size/strength. Scheme diverse.

61. Tyrique Stevenson – CB – Miami – 6'-0” 198 lbs. - Size/speed CB that is physical and aggressive. Not the most fluid CB. Best in a man scheme.

63. Deonte Banks – CB – Maryland – 6'-0” 197 lbs. - Experience in both man and zone. Ideal size/length speed as a CB. Good athlete. Injury concerns. Scheme diverse.

66. Kyu Blu Kelly – CB – Stanford – 6'-1” 191 lbs. - Size and skill set to be a good press man corner. Lacks production. He’s missing something I cant put my finger on. Man scheme.

67. Julius Brents – CB – Kansas State – 6'-3” 198 lbs. - Great length and athleticism for the position. Good long speed. Can get grabby and needs to believe in his ability. Zone scheme.

74. Tre’vius Hodges-Tomlinson – CB – TCU – 5'-8” 177 lbs. - Super fluid, athletic CB with speed to burn. His size is his only limitation. Scheme diverse, prefer man.

85. Darius Rush – CB – South Carolina – 6'-2” 198 lbs. - A WR convert, so a bit raw, but has the ball skills, athleticism and size to compete immediately. Ideal zone scheme.

93. Garrett Williams – CB – Syracuse – 5'-10” 192 lbs. - Aggressive and physical in all aspects. Good ball skills. Lacks the strength to play press man. Torn ACL muddies his draft range. Zone scheme.

105. Kei’Trel Clark – CB – Louisville – 5'-10” 181 lbs. - Smaller CB that played nickel this year. Can play inside and out and has good ball skills. ACL in 2021 and size are concerns. Scheme diverse, inside/outside

114. Riley Moss – CB – Iowa – 6’-1” 193 lbs. - Nice size/speed/athletic trifecta with excellent ball production. Man coverage is not his strength. Zone scheme.

123. Jaylon Jones – CB – Texas A&M – 6'-2” 200 lbs. - Big, physical CB in the run game. At his best with everything in front of him as there is some stiffness. Transition to safety is possible IMO. Zone scheme.

130. Elias Ricks – CB – Alabama – 6'-2” 188 lbs. - Long with great size for a zone scheme, willing tackler. Lacks top end speed. Play time and production dropped after transfer to Ala. Zone scheme.

131. Mehki Blackmon – CB – USC – 5'-11” 187 lbs. - Played a variety coverages. Aggressive in nature with good ball skills and production. Only knock is his size and injury history. Scheme diverse.

136. Darrell Luter Jr. - CB – South Alabama – 6’-0” 189 lbs. - Limited exposure (Senior Bowl) I like his size and length. Demonstrated good ball skills. Worry about long speed and seems a tad stiff. Zone scheme.

143. Jakorian Bennett – CB – Maryland – 5'-11” 188 lbs. - Willing tackler and good ball production. Fast and a good athlete. Not super twitchy IMO. Not physical in man coverage. Zone scheme.

145. Cory Trice Jr. - CB – Purdue – 6'-3” 206 lbs. - Great size and length. I worry he is a bit stiff to remain a man corner going forward. Physical in the run game. Zone scheme esp cover 3.

155. Alex Austin – CB – Oregon State – 6'-1” 195 lbs. - Smooth athletically with good ball skills. Size and length are a plus. Willing tackler. Long speed is an issue. Scheme diverse.

157. Rejzohn Wright – CB – Oregon State – 6'-2” 193 lbs. - Like Austin, size, length, cometitive nature and ball skills are pluses. Long speed is an issue as well. Zone scheme, but could play man.

164. Anthony Johnson – CB – Virginia – 6'-2” 205 lbs. - Love his size, length and ball skills. Do not love his long speed and his tendency to get grabby. Zone scheme or safety convert.

176. Carrington Valentine – CB – Kentucky – 6'-0” 193 lbs. - Physical CB that’ll get after it. I like his ball skills. Technique needs serious work as he can get beat deep and shouldn’t. Man scheme. Press

179. Keidron Smith – CB – Kentucky – 6'-2” 200 lbs. - Good length and size. Good ball skills. Not afraid to tackle. Questionable deep speed. May not be the most fluid CB. Zone scheme. Possible move to safety.

192. Arquon Bush – CB – Cinn. - 6’-0” 187 lbs. - Cool prospect as I saw him line up inside/outside and even a bit at safety. Good ball production and a willing tackler. Lacks long speed. Zone scheme.

196. Mekhi Garner – CB – LSU – 6'-2” 212 lbs. - Big, physical CB with good ball skills. Not the fastest and that could be an issue. Maybe safety conversion? Scheme diverse.

219. Lance Boykin – CB – Coastal Carolina - 6'-2” 200 lbs. - Great size and length for the position, pretty good athlete, but a tad awkward flipping his hips. Decent long speed. Zone scheme.

231. D’Jordan Strong – CB – Coastal Carolina – 5'-11” 190 lbs. - Played in a variety of coverages, and is aggressive in all phases. Size and length could be an issue outside. Scheme diverse, probably slot.

246. Nic Jones – CB – Ball State – 6'-0” 189 lbs. - Limited exposure (Shrine Bowl). Good size, can hang with WRs down the field and seems to have good ball skills. Zone scheme.

This group is fantastic. No super stud shutdown guys like Sauce Gardner, but super deep. There are lots of guys with good size, guys that work in the slot. Off man cover guys, press man cover guys, cover 2 guys, cover 3...you name it, there is someone for you somewhere or multiple somewheres. I love tier 1, but barring a guy sliding, tiers 2 and 3 are jampacked with Rams fits. Forbes, Turner, Banks and Brents in tier 2, Rush, Williams, Clark, Moss, Jones, Ricks and Blackmon in tier 3. Get at least 1 please. After that are some really interesting developmental guys.

SAF: (20 players)

10. Brian Branch - SAF - Alabama - 6'-0” 190 lbs. - Played CB and safety and nickel. Closest thing this draft has to a “STAR” position. His long speed keeps him at safety and not CB. Scheme diverse.

37. Antonio Johnson – SAF – Texas A&M – 6'-2” 198 lbs. - Love his versatility, Split, slot, big nickel. He’s done it all and is physical, using his great size. 1 int. In 3 years is a concern. Scheme diverse.

64. Christopher Smith II -SAF – Georgia – 5'-11” 192 lbs. - Another diverse safety that’s played everywhere. Good ball skills, and a willing tackler. Size/strength is my only concern. Scheme diverse.

68. Jordan Battle – SAF – Alabama – 6'-1” 209 lbs. - Love his size. And he uses it. Ok ball skills. Fairly smooth in space. Long speed and pursuit angles are concerns. Scheme diverse.

69. Sydney Brown – SAF – Illinois – 5'-10” 211 lbs. - Love this kid. Serious ball hawk. Always around the action. Nice combo of speed and athleticism. Played a ton of split safety (rams fit) Scheme diverse.

82. Jammie Robinson – SAF – FSU – 5'-11” 191 lbs. - He flys around the field and gets after it. Good athlete. Lacks ideal size and ball production. A tad slow. Zone scheme

84. JL Skinner – SAF – Boise State – 6'-4” 209 lbs. - Obviously a big, long safety. Physical and aggressive. Sometimes too aggressive. Tone setter. Works in the box. Single high is out of the question. Zone scheme or box safety.

94. Brandon Joseph – SAF – ND – 6'-0” 202 lbs. - Has a real nose for the ball. Good size to pair with instincts. Run defense is a work in progress. Long speed an issue. Scheme diverse.

119. Ronnie Hickman – SAF – Ohio State – 6'-0” 203 lbs. - Aggressive safety that thrives in the box. Coverage skills are good, not great. Lacks ball production somewhat. Any scheme except single high.

140. Brandon Hill – SAF – Pitt. - 5’-10” 193 lbs. - Fast, physical and aggressive. Sometimes too aggressive. Lacks ball production. Scheme diverse. Probably not single high.

156. Jay Ward – SAF – LSU – 6'-1” 188 lbs. - Good in zone pass coverage, very willing in run defense. Plays a smart brand of football. His size (or lack of) scares me a bit. Split zone scheme.

163. DeMarcco Hellams – SAF – Alabama – 6'-1” 203 lbs. - Played all over as a safety. High to box. Physical with good strength. Seems instinctual and fairly athletic. Long speed is an issue. Zone scheme.

175. Kaevon Merriweather – SAF – 6'-0” 205 lbs. - Athletic and physical with good ball production. Long speed is lacking. Zone scheme.

195. Daniel Scott – SAF – Cal – 6'-1" 208 lbs. - Good athlete with good speed and a physical demeanor. 35 missed tackles in 2 years and 25 years old. Scheme diverse.

199. Kendall Smith – SAF – Illinois – 6'-1” 205 lbs. - WR turned Safety, he exhibits good ball skills. Ability to cover a lot of ground and has the size to affect the run game. Raw and 24 years old are concerns. Scheme diverse.

210. Ji’Ayir Brown – SAF – Penn State – 5'-11” 203 lbs. - Weird profile. Great ball production while also being a tackle machine. Not very athletic and lacks long speed, just an instinctual football player. My concern is the speed of the NFL might eat him up. Or not. Scheme diverse.

217. Tyreque Jones – SAF – Boise State – 6'-2” 195 lbs. - Safety and Nickel. He has the size, athletic profile and experience to play either spot. Or play the STAR if he can improve his tackling or lack there of. Zone scheme.

230. Christian Young – SAF – Arizona – 6'-1” 221 lbs. - A hybrid safety/LB that racked up a ton of tackles in the box. Arizona even had him outside CB. Long speed is an issue. So is his position, does he have one. Scheme diverse if you have a plan for him.

237. Rashad Torrence II – SAF – Florida – 6'-0” 193 lbs. - Big time effort guy willing to throw his face in the fan against the run. Good instincts and in the passing game. Size/speed limitations. Scheme diverse.

238. Trey Dean III – SAF – Florida – 6'-2” 200 lbs. - Back to back Gator SAFs, Big, physical and has played literally everywhere. Good ball production. A bit stiff and lacks speed in man coverage. Zone fit.

Good class, Branch is really a slot CB, but if there is one guy that the Rams could really use, its him. I just don't see it. After that, there are a bunch of guys scattered throughout that I like as fits. S. Brown and Joseph are high on my list. I also really like J. Brown and Hill.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Deadpool's 2023 Big Board by Position List - Defense

Deadpool232April 11, 2023 10:54AM