Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oldnotdead is back (fairly non-controversial in this one)…

April 08, 2023 07:01AM
Here’s Oldnotdead…

Hunter Long was considered by many to be the 4th ranked TE in his draft and and most gave him a 3rd or early 4th round grade. Considering the Rams probably were going to spend a 5th round pick on a TE this draft it saved them a pick. He's a receiving TE with ball skills. Not considered much of a blocker, which is a learned skill BTW. The bottom line is that Higbee was also considered a passing TE, with no blocking skills. He was also thought of as being a 3rd or 4th round talent. Just goes to show you how a mid-range player can develop with a good work ethic.

Hunter is more athletic with both timing about the same in terms of long speed. Long being more athletic has more potential in terms of being a receiver and perhaps a blocker. Higbee has always struggled with second level blocking. IMO the Rams saw a similar talent in Long that they saw in Higbee. So in their eyes, they figured they could be getting another young Higbee. If he can develop into a similar player, Hunter Long can justify his inclusion in the trade. Higbee is basically in a contract year, at 31 years old next year he won't be back. We need to wait and see what they have in Long before we write him off.

Personally, I find negative comments regarding Long coming out of Miami immediately after the trade suspicious and dubious at best. Good coaches would never behave that way, it was obviously personal. Until Long shows me differently I will wait and see how he is as a Ram. Hunter Long is the Ram's pick for Higbee's replacement no different than if they had drafted him.

Hopkins has been for whatever reason slow to develop. He's shown flashes, but IMO not enough. He was #3 on the depth chart behind UDFA Kendall Blanton in 2021 his second year. IMO this is his last year as a Ram. That noise he heard when Jalen got traded was the door closing on his career in LA. They might take a TE in the 6th or 7th round as TE3 but I think he would end up on the PS for this year.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Oldnotdead is back (fairly non-controversial in this one)…

Rams43143April 08, 2023 07:01AM