Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Small School/Late Round Guys

April 07, 2023 12:42PM
I know we have been burnt a bit by some of small school picks over the last few years (Rochell, Gerrett, Sloman, Hardy (ok, theres still hope for Hardy) but considering the number of picks we have in the 6th and 7th rounds (again) its still a resource that I think we have to seriously consider, so I have been looking at some of the small school prospects and later round guys in the hope of spotting the odd diamond in the rough. Be interested in hearing opinions on some of the following or if anyone else has suggestions.

Marte Mapu: This is one of my favourites, a LB out of Sacramento State, this guys has played all over the field, Saf, LB Nickel, Corner, QB and WR but he is really a LB/Safety Hybrid. 6'3" 217lbs, 80 wingspan, he is a physical tackler, athletic and can cover. Consensus has him as a late round 4/5 guy and a lot of teams seem to be talking to him butt now he has torn his pec which could see him drop to the 6th/7th round in which case I would be very very interested.

Jose Ramirez: Eastern Michigan, Edge, 6'2", 242 lbs, a little on the small size but he can rush the passer. 6.95 sec 3 cone and 4.3 sec short. He would be a steal in the 7th round.

Karl Brooks: Another favourite, Edge 6'4" 295 lbs, Bowling Green, Brooks seems to be rising and gaining a fair bit of talk, should have been at the combine. A violent pass rusher, Bowling played him on the edge at 295 and he was very productive, maybe move inside. I think he goes way to high for us but I'd love him even in the late 5th.

Andrew Farmer: Edge 6'3" 250 lbs, Lane, Power Rusher was a standout at the Hula Bowl, not getting much attention but would be a UDFA target.

Jerrod Clark: Nose 6'4" 334 lbs, Coastal, Giant Run Defender, I have seen him projector everywhere from the 4th to the 7th. I would be interested in the 6th but no earlier.

Thomas Incoom: Edge 6'4" 260 lbs, Central Mich, Good potential pass rusher a late target for me as a 2nd edge target, 11.5 sacks in 22. How late will he be there? 5th, hmmm, 6th, yes please.

Andrei Iosivas: WR 6'3" 205 lbs, Princeton, Deadpool has already told us all we need to know about Iosivas and he is very high on my list, I don't want us to spend to high a pick on a WR but if we want this guy then I think we will have to. I keep getting him in the 5th on Mocks but I can't see that happening and at the moment we don't have a 4th. This guy ticks a lot of boxes but I think too many people have noticed him now and the weak WR class will see him going too soon for us I fear.

Nick Saldiveri: OT/OG 6'6" 307 lbs, Dominion, I really like Saldiveri as a developmental guy, he may even be better than the likes of Anchrum and Acuri already. Not sure where he goes, PFF has him as the 128th ranked prospect Draft Network has him as 121st. With all our needs he might be too high for us to take but if he's there in the 6th then maybe we should bite.

Aubrey Miller Jr. LB 5'11" 229 lbs, Jackson State, SWAC Defensive Player of The Year looked good at the Senior Bowl. Thumper who can rush the passer, team leader with special teams potential. Like him in the 7th round.

Isaiah Land. 6'3" 236 lbs, Florida A&M, Edge who could move to off ball Linebacker. Productive, I would look at him after the draft.

Chandler Zavala: OG 6'5" 325 lbs, NC State, another one who seems to be getting a lot more attention suddenly. PFF has him as their 70th ranked prospect. That's way to high for me but if he is there in the 6th then he might be my 2nd pick along the IOL. Mauler.

Some other names that I like in the late rounds, not small school guys:

Nick Broeker
Elijah Higgins
Puka Nacua
Atonio Mafi
Hunter Luepke
Darrell Luter Jr.
Jon Gaines II
PJ Mustipher
Rejzohn Wright
Lonnie Phelps
Ventrell Miller