Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cooper Kupp’s connection to Mike LaFleur goes back to memorable draft interview…

February 09, 2023 05:59AM
Cooper Kupp's connection to Mike LaFleur goes back to memorable draft interview

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

The pre-draft process isn’t always the most memorable experience for prospects. It’s an extensive evaluation period, from the Senior Bowl to the scouting combine to team visits.

Cooper Kupp went through that six years ago when he was a draft prospect from Eastern Washington, eventually going in the third round to the Los Angeles Rams. And even though he doesn’t remember many of his interviews leading up to the draft, one sticks out in his mind.

During an interview with Rams Wire on behalf of his partnership with Sleep Number, Kupp recalled his pre-draft meeting with Mike LaFleur, who at the time was in his first year as the 49ers’ pass game coordinator and WRs coach. Kupp appreciated LaFleur’s ability to connect with players, calling that a “pretty special trait.”

Kupp is happy to have LaFleur in Los Angeles now after he was hired as the Rams’ new offensive coordinator.

“I interviewed with Mike when I was coming out in the draft and he had just gotten to the Niners. I remember that interview and just being able to talk to each other and talk ball,” Kupp said. “I remember he was one of the few – the draft stuff is a complete blur – but he’s one of the interviews I remember just being like, ‘This is someone I really enjoy talking football with,’ being personable and being able to be someone that can connect with players, which I thought was a pretty special trait. And something where he’s conducting so many interviews but being able to be in that place and still be genuine and want to connect with you in that regard I thought was a pretty special thing. We’ve obviously kept up. We’ve obviously played the Niners multiple times over the last four years that he was there. Always pregame, being able to talk to each other, catching up. Got a lot of respect for him and really glad he’s with the good guys now.”

Lafleur and the 49ers had a chance to draft Kupp just before the Rams took him at No. 69 overall, instead selecting Akhello Witherspoon three picks earlier. The Rams and Kupp should be thankful things worked out the way they did.

Kupp already had one LaFleur as his offensive coordinator when Matt, Mike’s older brother, was with the Rams in 2017. Now he’ll get a chance to work with Mike and given their past relationship, it shouldn’t take long for them to get acclimated in Los Angeles.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Cooper Kupp’s connection to Mike LaFleur goes back to memorable draft interview…

Rams43121February 09, 2023 05:59AM

Re: Cooper Kupp’s connection to Mike LaFleur goes back to memorable draft interview…

KRams59February 09, 2023 07:15AM