Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Well Waterfield, you jinxed me...

October 08, 2016 11:34PM
Kidding, of course. Friday night my son fielded a kickoff and as he side stepped the tackler the tackler wrapped his arms around my grandson's legs pulling them up and behind him... the result being head first into the turf... and a mild concussion. We took him in, by ambulance... we are very cautious.

The prognosis: no contact until symptoms have completely disappeared Two doctors saw him, same diagnosis... and this was at Valley Childrens Hospital in Fresno... VERY well known, and respected. They say he should be fine in two weeks... but it depends on symptoms which must recede to 'none'. He had a very bad headache immediately, getting much better by the time he arrived at the hospital... and this morning he had none to very slight headache. I hope.... and I say I hope because...

He was officially invited to Humboldt Recruitment day... guest of the team. I 'hope' he was truthful because he wasn't about to miss this trip.

My grandson and one of his teammates as well. They went with their WR/DB coach...although the other kid is actually a LB that drops to Safety occasionally. Today they met the coach, some players, attended the game. My grandson LOVES the campus. They'll spend the night in the dorms with the team. Not sure what is on the agenda for tomorrow...but today they also toured the campus and they discussed which degrees were offered there.

Now... watching my grandson on the sideline 'trainer table' being checked out... obviously in pain but also emotional.. he is like that. Didn't want to come out of the game, went into tears when they told him he was done for the night. I watched from across the track, maybe 20' away... and yes, several times I said to myself, "this isn't worth it". This happened at the end of the 3rd quarter... my wife and I left immediately beating the ambulance to the hospital by a good 15 minutes, (about a 40 minute drive).

We were crushed in the game. so was my second oldest grandson's JV team... his worst night ever. Not a good night for us... somewhat better today as my 10 yr old scored 2td's on 5 carries and led his team in tackles... and all the while, proud as a peacock watching him... I wondered, thought, "Not sure this is worth it". - JamesJM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2016 05:41AM by JamesJM.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Well Waterfield, you jinxed me...

JamesJM610October 08, 2016 11:34PM

get well wishes for Mason

21Dog304October 09, 2016 04:42AM

It was natural grass....

JamesJM314October 09, 2016 05:11AM

Tough thoughts....

73Ram327October 09, 2016 05:31AM

Re: Well Waterfield, you jinxed me...

waterfield366October 09, 2016 05:06PM

Re: Well Waterfield, you jinxed me...