Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: If Houston Tags Clowney

February 15, 2019 09:49AM
Rams43
David Deacon
I wonder if Houston Tags Clowney if they would take Brockers and a 1st rounder for him? That would give us the perfect compliment to Donald.

Lots of ripples result from that trade, Deacon.

Would certainly give us a solution at one edge. Big time.

Brockers’ salary savings would pay for 2/3rd of Clowney’s new salary of approx $17 million, so that’s another good thing.

Rams would present a nightmare front to any O.

However...

Trading the 1st might cost us an edge, ILB, CB, or even S that might have fallen out of the top 25 to us. A long term and low cost player for a potential 5 years at least.

It would create a hole where Brockers had been. And holes become harder to fill when one’s 1st has been traded away AND now an extra $6M per is coming out of a dwindling cap total.

We would be left with holes on DL (Brockers), other edge (unless Fowler is extended), ILB (assuming that Barron leaves), and S (Joyner gone). Not insurmountable, but would require S&M to have hits on their remaining picks AND make several shrewd 2nd tier FA acquisitions. Doable, but still a tall order.

The beauty of the Suh signing was that he didn’t cost a draft pick and was willing to settle for $14M. Seemed like a bargain at the time. Downside was that Suh was just a one year rental and he mostly coasted until the playoffs. Such would not be the case with Clowney, of course.

What to do? A case can be made both pro and con. So, I guess I’m fine with the S&M decision either way.

I agree with all of this with one exception. I love Clowney but not sure I want to pay his salary and trade a 1st for him.

The one exception is on having the hole with Brockers. I've been advocating trading him or cutting his salary if necessary to get a good edge solution. That's mostly under the assumption that JFM is ready to step into his role thus no starter hole is created.

If the Rams don't feel JFM is ready, I'd be much less thrilled about trading Brock AND giving up a 1st. I'd still be willing to trade him if that leads to an above average edge defender but that 1st could be used on his replacement.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

So...what would be better Clowney or Suh/Brockers?

jemach437February 13, 2019 04:32AM

Re: So...what would be better Clowney or Suh/Brockers?

GroundPounder229February 13, 2019 04:37AM

Clowney but he'll be tagged

Ram_Ruler177February 13, 2019 04:44AM

Let's wait for the tag to happen...until then...

jemach127February 14, 2019 11:06AM

Donald Clowney would be Epic!

stlramz99February 14, 2019 01:58PM

Guys c'mon the Rams aren't signing Clowney

Speed_Kills161February 14, 2019 02:17PM

Re: So...what would be better Clowney or Suh/Brockers?

no name108February 14, 2019 03:11PM

If Houston Tags Clowney

David Deacon140February 15, 2019 01:44AM

Rams4386February 15, 2019 09:17AM

dzrams81February 15, 2019 09:49AM

David Deacon75February 15, 2019 10:00AM