Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Conference Call – November 20, 2018

November 21, 2018 12:18AM
Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Conference Call – November 20, 2018

(On if he's been able to process what happened on Monday night and how the team was able to respond time and time again)

"I think like a lot of the things, kind of we had said yesterday, just real appreciative of the guys’ character they demonstrated. So many different individual contributions that led to a team win – really all three phases. Like we talked about, I think the score isn't indicative of it was just all offense. There was a lot of great plays made by defensive guys. I thought (P) Johnny Hekker's two punts at the end were instrumental in being able to get that win. You talk about a complete team win, guys picking each other up when we needed to, putting all three phases together, being able to have a little bit more enjoyable bye (week). It was a great job by the team yesterday."

(On if he was thinking that the offense needed to get the first down by any means necessary when they got the ball back for the second to last time and if that prompted the pass plays)

"Yeah, I mean they were basically playing zero coverage. They had 11 guys in the box and you're short in the run game, there's unblocked players. We felt like being able to run a couple of those bootlegs, you certainly don't want to have an incompletion like we did on the second down, but we are an aggressive team. We wanted to close the game out right there. You don't want to get too risky, but the confidence that we have in our players, we felt like changing the launch point and running kind of the boot passes where somebody's sliding across the formation was a good opportunity to be able to out-flank the edge, out-leverage a guy that's responsible for the tight end or for (WR) Robert (Woods) like we did on the first down play in man coverage. That was what we felt like was going to be the best percentage there, just because they're playing with nobody in the middle of the field. They dropped the 11th guy down in to the box and you're short in the run game and basically it becomes tackling practice for a defense."

(On how his night was and if he got some sleep)

"I think you know me well enough by now, I was pretty wired. I came back to the house with some friends and was able to relax a little bit. They had the highlights on and stuff like that, but I would say right now is about the first time that I'm starting to wind down and be able to take a nap hopefully here soon."

(On if RB Todd Gurley II tweaked something early in the game and if it had any effect on him)

"He got his ankle rolled up on. I thought he still continued to compete and do a great job, but it did limit him a little, but I think that's why you saw (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown) in there. Then, (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II) is such a phenomenal player. We all have so much respect and appreciation for all of the different contributions that he gives to our team. He got banged up a little bit and there was a lot of instances where they were playing some defensive structures where they basically were daring you to throw it. I think a lot of that is a result of the respect that they have for Todd and for our running game. But, he did get rolled up on, on the far sideline – his ankle a little bit. He pushed through, but that definitely was a little something that bothered him for sure."

(On if Gurley will be okay)

"Yeah, he'll be fine. He'll be fine. It wasn't anything that's going to like prevent him from not playing or anything like that, but you could just see – and he's so tough, he's not going to say anything – but it bothered him a little bit. We got Malcolm in there and then kind of the flow of the game. I know we're accustomed to seeing him get more opportunities and that's something that I've got to continue to make sure that I'm always doing a good job of. But if the runs aren't there and some of those things, we've got to find ways to get him touches in the pass game. He had a couple plays that were big – the screen got us going on one of the drives and then we tried to get it to him again and we got a hold (penalty) that called it back. But, that did limit him a little bit then he kind of settled in and I think it felt okay as the game progressed."

(On if he felt it was important to keep Gurley out there as a decoy sometimes)

"No. I think you want to make sure that you're playing your guys if they feel good. We've got a lot of confidence in Malcolm Brown as well. If he comes in, we really continue to operate as if Todd's in the game and that's a result of the confidence that we have in Malcolm. But, if Todd could go, we certainly want him in there, but you never want to have a guy playing if there's something where he's not feeling like he's capable of playing at the level that he feels like can contribute to our team."

(On how much of an asset P Johnny Hekker is and how comforting it is to have someone who can pull of a 68-yard punt when they absolutely had to have it)

"He was awesome. I think, really, you certainly don't take players like Johnny for granted. For us, you don't want to have to use him as a punter. You want to use him as little as possible, but when you have to I thought he did a great job of pinning those guys deep, especially with those last two punts. Those things are not to be taken for granted. The versatility where he gives us the ability to potentially fake some because he's such a great athlete that can throw the football, he can use his legs and he's an outstanding holder and he's a great leader for our football team, too. The first two years that I've been here, you let the players vote on captains and this guy is almost unanimously voted on each of the last two years that I've been here. I think that's a great demonstration of the respect that people have for him on this team and that's been well earned over the course of his career. He continues to play at a high level and he's vital to us."

(On if there was anything in Monday night's game that indicated to him that staying in Colorado and training in the altitude benefited the team in some way)

"You'll have to talk to the players. If anything, it makes me wonder did that make us cramp a little bit. I'll have to talk to (Senior Director of Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie (Scott) and (Director of Strength Training and Performance) Ted (Rath) about that. They've got all these nice numbers for me and stuff like that, but I don't know. The players would be better suited to tell you how they felt. I felt like I had my good wind yesterday, but I wasn't running around."

(On if he felt any different running up and down the sideline)

"It's true. You know what, I felt fresh. I think I might've tweaked a calf, but I don't think that had any effect from being in Colorado."

(On what he and QB Jared Goff saw on the final touchdown to TE Gerald Everett)

"Well, they had really been mixing a couple different coverage contours, where (S Daniel) Sorensen was basically playing the tight ends in man-coverage and it was either going to a two-man structure or it was going to man-coverage when they were dropping one of the safeties down to kind of rob crossers and different things like that. If it went to the single-high look, which is exactly what we got there, he was bumped outside and that was a matchup that we felt good about and (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) gave him a perfect throw and Gerald did a great job winning on his release. Then, to be able to finish and have the body control to tip-toe down the sideline and stay in bounds was incredible. But, that's just Jared having a great feel for the flow of the game and really the flow of that drive with what (Chiefs Defensive Coordinator) Coach (Bob) Sutton was playing coverage-wise. I thought he did a great job right there. It was awesome by him."

(On if DT Aaron Donald's performance this season is a continuation of what he saw last year or if he seems to be playing at another level this year)

"I think he was well-deserving of Defensive Player of the Year last year and I think he's even playing better this year. I think he's truly taken his game to a different level. You feel him every single snap. The impact that he makes on the game in so many different ways that maybe don't even show up on the stat sheet, even though he is putting up these eye-popping numbers where he's leading the league in sacks and he's forcing fumbles. It's almost something similar what you guys were asking with Johnny. You just kind of get accustomed to, 'There's another play (DT) Aaron (Donald) makes,' but you don't ever want to take that for granted. The best part about Aaron, and you guys know this, is when you hear Aaron interview, the first thing he says is, 'I've got a lot of room for improvement.' I think the one thing that I've been so impressed with, with him is he is a great player. He's a special player, but he's always continually focusing on what he can do to improve. There's never that complacency that sets in. I think that's why you see a great player playing at a really high level. I think he raises the level of his teammates. He certainly raises the level of this team and he is making big-time plays at the moments that we need them the most. He is a really, really special player that we are lucky to have. I just think the way he works naturally rubs off on people and I think that consistency where a lot of people think leadership is talking and things like that. Really, what I've learned being around Aaron is I think he's a great leader by the way that he consistently goes about his business, brings people with him just by doing right. We talk about it all the time, we see a lot better than we hear and he's a guy that definitely shows up and he shows instead of having to say all the time and then that speaks a lot louder than what words can do in a lot of instances."

(On how having a performance like he did on Monday night helps OLB Samson Ebukam moving forward from a confidence standpoint)

"I think it's great. I think we're so happy for him just because he works so hard. He does all those little things the right way and to be able to have an opportunity present itself and for him to be able to capitalize in two instances last night where he ends up getting the two touchdowns was great. I think anytime that you're able to have success, you can use those experiences to draw confidence from. He's been a confident player that's continued to get better. Like we mentioned, he was the one that (Seahawks QB Russell) Wilson on the fourth-down-and-10 that they had to seal the game last week. He obviously had two big-time plays that led to us winning that football game last night. He's a guy that's only continuing to get better and like we said, I think (Assistant Linebackers Coach) Chris Shula and (Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers) Joe Barry are doing a great job with him."

(On if Monday night's game was the one the team needed to really capture the city and become Los Angeles' football team)

"I think you always want to continually do things that make people want to come out and support us and put out a good product and a team that's exciting and fun to watch. I think that's what these guys are doing. I think what's been so unique is you go back to last year and just as the season builds, the Atlanta (Falcons) atmosphere was such a special one in the playoffs and you want to make sure that you capitalize on the opportunities to play in front of your fans, especially in those night settings. Those are pretty cool. I think the three opportunities that we've had really this year when you look at really the three night games that we've had going back to Atlanta. Then, you end up playing the Thursday night game against Minnesota and then last night was pretty unique. I think that's a credit to the fans coming out, supporting us and obviously the players delivering and making people want to say, 'That's pretty fun to watch those guys play and whenever they're going at home let's go check them out.'"

(On if the bye week is coming at a good time, his message to the players in terms of how he wanted them to spend it and what he thinks the team needs to improve going into the final stretch of the schedule)

"Yeah, I think the bye week came at great time for the coaches and for the players. I think anytime that you're really rolling for 12-straight weeks, or really 11-straight weeks, you're like, 'All right, it's about time to get a little bit of a rest.' I'm kind of looking forward to just being a fan of football this week. Kind of got a chance to do that a little bit on Sunday as well when you play those Monday games. For us, yes, it did come at a great time. It feels really good. I think the players did an outstanding job of handling what seems like two weeks that was about two years’ worth of things that they had to go through. All they did was just handle it like pros and do everything the right way that makes you appreciative – like we said yesterday – of just being able to work with people like this. For us, there's so many different things we can get better at and that's the exciting thing about it is with football, there's this never-ending goal of continuing to improve and focus on the little things – whether that's situational football, whether that's taking care of it or taking it away defensively. So, there's a lot of things within the framework of every single situation. Then, it's going to be about continuing to improve and playing team football. If we do that, then we think good things are going to happen, but it's going to be a tough stretch. We've got some great games coming up. For us, when we get back, the number one focus will be on the Detroit Lions and then we'll go from there."

(On if he feels like his message of avoiding personal foul penalties got through to the team or if was just circumstance)

"I think two things – I think that we all wanted to improve and I think that you continue to evaluate that as you go forward. I thought the guys did a great job last night. I thought it was a good, clean game, too. There was obviously a handful of flags early, but I didn't ever feel like the game got chippy or anything like that like it had the previous week with regards to some of the other things that were going on kind of that maybe weren't able to be seen from everybody as you're just watching the game. So, I thought it was a good game. Good, high competitive game, but I did think the guys avoided those types of situations and that's things that we want to continue to do moving forward. I think that's ultimately how we'll evaluate that, but I do feel like everybody is on the same page with regards to the standards and the expectations we have as far as doing things that hurt the team if it's things that we can control with regards to our emotions and responding to things that maybe are done to try to rile us up."

(On what really got the team through the last couple weeks)

"I think just each other. Really, it's just being able to lean on the people that you care about a lot. I think the families, but I think in a lot of ways it sounds cliché, but you feel like this is a big family. These coaches, these players, we spend so much time together and especially being in Colorado for a few days. Just the amount of work that's put in and really, these things that we're talking about are so much bigger than football, but I think that having this as an outlet, having something to be able to go to and be around people that you care about and love unconditionally is something that does provide good relief. Then, being able to compete together, that's what's so unique and special is sharing that feeling of the excitement when you get these wins like we did (against) Seattle and like we did last night. But, I also think there's a lot to be said about putting your arm around somebody and finding a way to pick each other up when we have some disappointment like we did against the (New Orleans) Saints. That to me is really even more valuable than the wins. It's how we respond from the loss or the temporary setback. Then, I think one thing that you've been so pleased with, with this group, really for the last couple years, is their ability to handle small setbacks. I think as a result of them dealing with those minor adversities in the right ways, we've avoided the big adversity and that's something that we hope to continue to do moving forward."

(On how CB Marcus Peters played overall and his mood in the locker room after the game)

"Yeah, he played really well. I thought he was locked in, he was engaged. That's a phenomenal offense and they did a lot of good things, but I thought (Ccool smiley Marcus' (Peters) play was instrumental in getting the win. He was excited. Marcus is always a good player though that's emotionally into the game because it's important to him and he's a great competitor. I think he'd be better served to answer that, but I think it did mean a lot to him. I thought it was pretty cool to be able to have he and (Lcool smiley Ramik (Wilson) both coming here from the Chiefs – guys that have made a lot of contributions to our team – to be able to get those guys game balls that they were well-deserving of, to be able to go against your former team and get a win. We're glad they're with us and I know that was a big-time play last night to be able to help get that win. I'm sure that was emotional. We're really pleased with what Marcus did last night. I thought overall, there's a lot of ways too that – people want to make a storyline about the things and I really was pleased and impressed with just – I thought Marcus handled the whole week really well. It was really good for him and I was really happy for him to be able to get the win with the team."

(On what it would mean to potentially clinch the NFC West division title this week during their bye week and how intensely he will be watching the Panthers-Seahawks game)

"I think that would be pretty cool. We can only control what we can control, but I wouldn't be upset if the Panthers came away with a big win this weekend (laughs)."
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Conference Call – November 20, 2018

Shaky256November 21, 2018 12:18AM