Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: I have to disagree about his self-criticism

October 17, 2018 09:20PM
Rams43
zn
AlbaNY_Ram
Here's a prime example of McVay taking the blame for something that really isn't his fault.

I disagree. It was his fault. Goff was having an off day against a D dedicated to taking away the pass to the point of sacrificing the run D.

So on 3rd and 3 in FG range, they call a pass when at a minimum, a run would keep the FG range reasonable.

Instead they lose 10 yards and miss the FG.

The issue there was calling a pass in that situation under all those combined conditions.

He was right to be self-critical of that.

If all McV's self-criticisms do is get chalked up as "well he does that" then they are meaningless, and don't accomplish what they're supposed to accomplish, which is to hold everyone accountable, starting with the head coach.

No one is being held accountable if his public self-criticism is just bs.

Maybe a Gurley run would have been the prudent call, especially given how Broncos were defending.

But Goff is expected to throw the ball away to avoid a sack and a 10 yard loss, too. I mean, high school QB’s know that.

I love McVay to death. But I am in the camp that thinks that he blames himself excessively in his pressers. Players love it and I have no doubt that they get the unvarnished truth in film review away from the mics and cameras. It’s no big deal to me whether McVay goes overboard in blaming himself for everything.

Show me any presser from any other game where he does this. I can' think of any other game where he goes on for just short of 600 words critiquing an aspect of his playcalling one game like that. Maybe that's my memory but if there is another equivalent of what I quote below, quote it. And this one is the 2nd time he did it in relation to the same game and it shows up because he was directly asked do you stand by your self-criticism from the first post-Denver game presser.

To go on in this detail, unless it's sincere, is the worst kind of bs. "Yeah guys, I took the hit for 10 minutes in public but I didn't mean it, it's really your fault."

I mean. C'mon. cool smiley

And on top of it he's completely right in everything he says. To focus on my favorite example, it's in the 4th and you're in FG range on 3rd and 3 and all game the defense has been using its strong pass rush and strong secondary to attack the pass at the expense of the run, Goff had been sacked 3 times already at that point (on 24 attempts...that's a 12.5% sack rate which across 6 games would be the worst in the league), 3 points there puts the game out of reach, and Gurley had not had a single run for no gain or for lost yards all game. A pass there is a bad call situationally.

I know he's not stupid enough to deflect blame for the wrong call at the wrong time putting his qb in a bad situation when he did not NEED TO, just cause the qb is in theory and on paper is "supposed to throw it away." (Why do qbs ever get sacked at all then? Aren't they all just supposed to "throw it away"? Maybe we can credit Donald last year with 11 "qb didn't throw it away" moments instead of 11 sacks.)

Again...if there is one, find another 600 word passage like this from a presser from any other game and tell me with a straight face he always does this.

“Yes, I just think some of the things that we did in some of the spots. Anytime that you’re in the role that I am, our job is to try to put our players in the best spots and you don’t want to waste plays. Every play is so important. When you think about a couple of the specific instances… the fourth play of the game, when we end up having (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley) coming across in that motion, we hit it. It’s an incomplete pass, but you really waste a play right there in the high red zone where every play is so important, but specifically in those area. My gut told me to take a timeout in that instance and I didn’t do it. It ended up leading us to not executing the way that we’re accustomed to, and that’s a result of the operation that starts with me. That’s an instance right there. When you’ve got a situation at the two-minute, the first play of the drive, when you feel like they’re going to play a split-safety match coverage and you call a longer developing play and there’s really not an answer, leads to a sack. Those are the plays that I was really disappointed in myself. I thought the sequence when we’re up 20-3, we get the ball back, and really, as a result of us not communicating properly. But again, it all goes back to it starts with me and it starts with us as a coaching staff in terms of making sure that, ‘Are we getting plays in that we have the opportunity to be able to communicate?’ If we’re trying to run two plays, or one or the other, are we being mindful of the atmosphere, the environment? That really ended up hurting us where it ended up leading into a turnover, they get a quick score and get it to a 20-10 game. And then I thought the two plays that we ended up taking sacks, when we were on the 19 yard line. Fortunately, the second one on the bootleg didn’t end up hurting us, we were running the ball so efficiently. Then the third down-and-three, where we end up knocking ourselves out of, what you feel like is going to be a good field goal range. So to answer your question, yeah, I’m still bothered by those. I thought that you got to learn from them. I’ll move on, but I think it’s great. We ask our players to try to learn from some of their decisions or their execution and things like that. It’s the same way. Those plays didn’t work out in our favor, but they didn’t really go in alignment with some of the flow and the feel of the game, with the way we were running the football. Those are the things that, hopefully, you get better with and you learn from experience. But the aggressive nature in which we operate and try to attack people, I’ll never apologize for that. It’s more of the situational awareness, within the framework of ultimately playing complementary football to win a game and are you really putting your players in some of those spots? I thought I put (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) in some tough spots specifically and then the start of the two-minute drive. Those are the plays that bother you the most....You don’t want to ever seem like you’re a negative guy, but I do think that the accountability and always just trying to make sure that you’re learning from your mistakes like our players.

Behind the scenes .

Players: you sure bs-ed em pretty good there. That was oscar level.
McVay: yeah cause the truth is, I blame you guys.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2018 10:07PM by zn.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Sean McVay Postgame Press Conference

Speed_Kills777October 14, 2018 05:55PM

Re: Sean McVay Postgame Press Conference

Rams43274October 14, 2018 06:00PM

stlrams13236October 14, 2018 06:02PM

73Ram217October 14, 2018 06:13PM

Re: Does it get old when McVay says it? Nm

Speed_Kills179October 14, 2018 06:14PM

I've noticed this year the HC doesn't seem to