Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: There are less nay sayers now

September 24, 2018 04:17AM
David Deacon
Goff really got tarnishes for his poor rookie year. He was a system QB in a really bad system. He had terrible coaching that did little to help him succeed. He also was not ready and needed to learn how to be a pro style QB.

That's the general story you hear. But it's more than that. First off, qbs from college Air Raid systems rarely make it in the NFL (going back to the 90s) and the few that have never played well as rookies. That's so true that when Mahomes (an Air Raid qb) was drafted, article after article about him talked about how Air Raid qbs arrive in the NFL behinder than most. The trick with Mahomes was to sit him for a year. There's no Russell Wilson style fast starts among Air Raid qbs (Wilson was in a pro system). In fact of all the Air Raid qbs to hit the NFL only 4 have made it at any level at all--Goff, Mahomes, and to a different extent, Keenum and Foles (and Foles can still have meltdown games).

Second, the move. The move was why, among other things, an OL we thought was okay at the end of 2015 was a mess in 2016. Several LA writers warned people in advance that NFL teams that move do not do well (there's one exception).

Third, Gurley was not himself in 2016 so no running game. (Think how much Goff benefits from play action.) McGinnis has said Gurley was hurt in 2016. He lost weight in the off-season and by his own admission started working out a month or 2 behind schedule. He didn't practice in the summer. He has mentioned having a back issue that year. Either way he was not his normal explosive self and that was visible from game 1. Keenum also would probably have done better than he did (and he started out okay, after game 1 that is) if Gurley were himself that year. Fortunately for them (and us) Gurley put that behind him.

His coaching? Well the passing coordinator that year (Groh) is now the Eagles offensive coordinator so I think this whole "it was all the system" story gets exaggerated.

McVay is not only a far better coach than Fisher, he is far better than any Rams head coach I;ve known except maybe DV and he can surpass DV. But McV benefited from NOT having to deal with a rookie Air Raid qb so that works both ways.

I speak btw as a Goff supporter from way back--through 2016 (I did not express a single doubt), through interception gate in the summer of 2017, through the rough games against top defenses (Vikes, Jagz, Eagles, Falcons). I am always realistic about where he stands and always optimistic about his abilities and what he will be like with seasoning and experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2018 04:20AM by zn.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Jared Goff quietly leads Rams to perfect 3-0: Silver

Anonymous User634September 24, 2018 01:01AM

nothing quiet about that game yesterday

Speed_Kills178September 24, 2018 01:39AM

He definitely has a short memory

Hazlet Hacksaw175September 24, 2018 01:52AM

There are less nay sayers now

David Deacon210September 24, 2018 02:18AM

Re: There are less nay sayers now

zn189September 24, 2018 04:17AM

Loved reading this part....

JamesJM237September 24, 2018 04:40AM

Re: Loved reading this part....

zn127September 25, 2018 04:17AM

Re: Jared Goff is the man, no doubt a very solid NFL QB.

oldschoolramfan98September 25, 2018 05:12AM

Re: Jared Goff quietly leads Rams to perfect 3-0: Silver

Rampage2K-68September 25, 2018 06:57AM