Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

These FA decisions come down to a bang for the buck...

February 17, 2018 07:02AM
Can a given player be replaced, or maybe even be upgraded in some cases, for the same or a lesser amount?

If so, our UFA is probably a goner. And should be, frankly.

By such a standard the various decisions become more impersonal and businesslike.

Joyner stays. He’s playing at a near elite level and can’t be realistically replaced, even for $9-10 million.
TruJo goes. Can be mostly be replaced and for less money. I’m not convinced that he’s a true fit for Wade’s D.
Barwin is iffy. He’s pretty good and for a bargain price on the one hand. But it’s possible that he could be replaced, even upgraded, by a rookie or Ebukam.
Quinn is probably a goner, or should be. Classic lack of bang for the buck player. Hope he can be traded. Not a UFA, but principle remains the same.
Barron could be a goner, too, although another non-UFA. His salary and health vs replacability seem out of balance. Could be adequately replaced for a fraction of his cost.
Watkins is iffy for me. How much potential vs how much salary? I dunno. My arbitrary ceiling is in the $9-10 million range, but it’s far from clear to me.

Those are the biggest personnel decisions for this offseason, IMO.

Don’t get me wrong. I personally like or even love all those above players. But this isn’t about personal feelings toward a given player. It’s about what’s best for the team long term. Period.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Lamarcus Joyner is PFF's No. 1 free-agent safety in 2018

Ramsdude420February 17, 2018 03:56AM

Joyner and our draftniks; Snead and Fisher

leafnose168February 17, 2018 05:39AM

disagree

zn163February 17, 2018 06:02AM

Re: interpreted

leafnose165February 17, 2018 06:27AM

Re: interpreted

zn116February 17, 2018 06:33AM

These FA decisions come down to a bang for the buck...

Rams43120February 17, 2018 07:02AM