Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Which O position group will have the most starting turnover in '17?

February 12, 2017 03:31PM
The two biggest issues I've seen with the current batch of WRs is dropped passes and route running. I think it's good news that both qualities are coachable.

Drops According to [www.sportingcharts.com] this is what the Rams WRs did last year:

Tavon Austin, 106 targets, 7 drops (6.2%)
Kenny Britt, 111 targets, 3 drops (2.7%)
Brian Quick, 77 targets, 1 drop (1.3%) <== surprised me: anyone have a link to a different number?
Mike Thomas, 9 targets, 1 drop (11.1%)
Bradley Marquez, 7 targets, 0 drops, (0.0%)
Pharoh Cooper, 20 targets, 0 drops, (0.0%)

The rest of the Rams WRs aren't listed, I presume because none of them had a pass thrown their way. So I have to rely on faulty memories of camp reports and preseason games to get a read on Spruce, McRoberts, and North ... and I don't remember a particular problem with drops with any of them. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

So it really boils down to Austin. Can the new coaching staff improve his drop total from 7 to let's say 4? (That's 3.8%) If so is the drop problems of the Rams WRs fixed? (The Rams have drop issues elsewhere, notably Kendrick and Higbee, both at 6.9% ... but they're not WRs.)

Route running

Austin runs sloppy routes. Doesn't matter: his contract says he stays.

Quick isn't the greatest route runner, either. If that's a big deal and it can't be corrected then just don't resign him.

Those are two of the Rams three starting WRs. So route running is gonna look lousy cuz there was only one WR out there who knew what he was doing (Britt). Replace Quick with Garcon and the route running looks a lot better. Maybe someone can teach Austin a couple routes over the summer, maybe the Rams put him in the backfield more in 2017 and have someone else man the slot once in a while.

The other 6 guys - Thomas, Marquez, Cooper, Spruce, McRoberts, North - which ones run poor routes?

AlbaNY_Ram
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Which O position group will have the most starting turnover in '17?

Rams43725February 12, 2017 07:53AM

Re: Which O position group will have the most starting turnover in '17?

AlbaNY_Ram313February 12, 2017 03:31PM

Actually Quick runs that pist double move

reggae284February 14, 2017 03:17PM

probably about even

LMU93228February 14, 2017 02:18PM

2 groups at top of list...

jemach259February 14, 2017 04:05PM