Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

View from a pessimistic anti-Fisherite

August 29, 2016 04:56AM
I am not optimistic about the Rams as long as Fisher is in charge. So let's get that out of the way. Why the words "extension" and "Fisher" are even used in the same sentence is beyond me. Why after 4 lackluster years people still want to blame the Rams woes on Climate Change, Alien abductions, anything but what is clearly obvious, I don't know. It used to be in the NFL that you are what your record says you are. No more. Now in the age of FF and endless stats and media spin, suddenly there is pretty much nothing that can (or can't) be laid at the feet of the HC. Look up the word "mediocre" in the dictionary and you'll find Fisher's picture next to the definition.

Be that as it may, I have watched the preseason games carefully and multiple times.

And as much as I hold on to my view that the Rams are hamstrung as long as Fisher is the HC, here's what I see from my armchair and it is actually a bit better than I had hoped:

1) If our WR corp is not the worst in the NFL, then there isn't a worst. Pathetic; and Fisher and Snead ought to be shot at dawn for stocking us with a bunch of afterthoughts and apparently honestly thinking that WRs are right behind the 3rd string Kicker in value. I do think that Spruce will elevate the WR corp. He had one shot in the preseason and all he did was carry the entire offense on his shoulders and score the winning TD. And, as the practice reports say, he catches everything....period. The problem I have is that I don't think Fisher has a clue what good NFL WR looks like. The fact that he loved Quick coming out, and even gave him a new contract makes me go.......Whaaaaat?? And he's just as liable to cut Spruce and try to get him to the PS because, as he said in his Press Conference, Spruce has missed some time (good grief, who CARES????!!!).

2) We have a good and developing group of QBs. I can't believe I just said that. Even Mannion is a LONG way from his rookie year. He's played very well in the Preseason. You can't just look at stats and determine what is happening. Why, after all these years, QBs still get the ding for perfectly thrown balls that are dropped by club-handed WRs is just plain wrong. On almost any other team in the league the Rams QBs stats would be better. And this is because their WRs actually catch run of the mill passes; it's not an adventure every time the ball is thrown. Clearly Goff has an elite arm and elite accuracy. But...he needs to gain a good 20 pounds if he is going to survive. And, the rest is just adapting to the NFL and learning the NFL game. The ball just flies off of his hand and travels like a laser any distance he wants it to. It's amazing the balance he has, and such good footwork, and can also throw with accuracy off balance if he has to.

3) Our oline has come a long way. We have depth. GRob for the first time looks like a legit NFL LOT. Not a star mind you; but more than competent. Barnes leaps off the screen as a polished NFL Center. Not an All-Pro, just consistent, gets to the 2nd level when asked, hustles, and does NOT get shoved back into the QB. We now have an NFL quality Oline. It's not the Cowboy's Oline, but it could, by the end of the season, actually be a strength. They look in sync, they get a push, and they are not behaving spasticly. Yes, when you get nothing but 2nd and 3rd teamers in there it doesn't look great. No one's oline looks great when you get well down into the depth chart.

4) Our Defense overall is looking good. My concern is FS. No one has stood out. I'm quite concerned about EJ Gaines and his constant injuries. I personally think that our next best corner after Gaines and Johnson is Hill. I still think the Sensabaugh signing is dumb, dumb, dumb. A waste of valuable cap space. Joyner looks frustrated. I think it's because they're not letting him settle into a role. Once settled (and I think he ought to be our FS), he'll play well. Ogletree gave us a glimpse at why they moved him to MLB; he gets to spots JL never could. It'll take a few games, but we're OK at LB....not sure about depth, though.

5) Our Dline is going to have to carry the D at the first of the year. I think it will. They absolutely dominated a good Denver Oline. Easley looks better. Coples is not even our 11th or 12th best Dlineman. He'll go with the first cuts. Westbrooks, Sims and Longacre could start for many NFL Dlines. I like Cam Thomas; he moves OK for a huge man, and he takes up a lot of space in the middle. I see a DT rotation of Donald, Brockers, Easley, Thomas.

6) Fisher's conservative philosophy continues to tick me off. It is HIS fault that we got no TDs against Denver. The minute the Rams get into the Red Zone, the offense goes into a shell. It is clear that despite the rhetoric, Fisher prefers the less risky FG to the higher risk TD. I just hate this "scared to be great" Fisher mentality. If he ever went on a Halloween Trick or Treat, he'd go dressed up as a cocoon.

7) Our TEs can make a difference. Higbee is for sure a player and difficult to defend. Kendricks is Kendricks. Any thought that after these years suddenly he's going to stop dropping passes in crucial situations is a pipe dream. He is what he is. A very good blocker, static or on the move, and marginal as a receiving threat. Clearly Hemmingway has physical tools. But just as clearly it is hard to imagine him making the 53. He's got a long way to go.

8) Our RBs are so deep it is unreal. We have at least 3 NFL starting variety RBs in Gurley, Cunningham and Brown. After that, McGee and Green are virtual ties to my eyes. And Reynolds is essentially an emergency RB. But he CAN run, catch, and pass block, so it's not like he's like having no RB at all if called upon.

9) GZ still worries me. He makes short FGs an adventure. He's poked some 35 yarders (and less) BARELY between the uprights. He has a wonderfully powerful leg, but the idea that a 60 yard FG with time running out is going to carry the Rams to playoff heights is right there with the Tooth Fairy. I say cut him and hire Bartolett. He did a very good job in the preseason and clearly he has plenty of leg to kick in this league. And his FGs were right down the middle.

10) From what I see today, I predict 7-9 or 8-8 depending on injuries. Some of this is because the Niners are going to be awful, and I think the Seahawks and Cards are going to take a step back. Palmer isn't getting any younger, and neither is Fitzgerald. They are old by NFL standards and it's amazing how overnight the skills can fall off a cliff. Seattles loss of Lynch and the not so good Oline is going to hurt. At some point, Wilson's luck at staying healthy while running around as much as he does in going to run out. And then....disaster. I think if Keenum stays healthy (and he tends to), he ought to be the QB for the entire year unless (and I suspect this is what will happen) the O doesn't produce points (and most O's that have lousy WRs don't) and then Fisher will finally have his excuse to put in Goff. But that won't happen until around the bye week. My fear is that Fisher will overuse Gurley. He still thinks this is the 90's and you win with Eddie George and a few passes here and there.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

View from a pessimistic anti-Fisherite

RockRam1172August 29, 2016 04:56AM

Re: View from a pessimistic anti-Fisherite

SoCalRAMatic465August 29, 2016 06:23AM

So TG will "at least" break the NFL rushing record by 200 yds? WOW. (nm)

Suh-weet!544August 29, 2016 08:59AM

Re: View from a pessimistic anti-Fisherite

Rams43426August 29, 2016 06:37AM

A pleasure to read your post...

max410August 29, 2016 06:58AM

Re: A pleasure to read your post...

LARams17472August 29, 2016 07:16AM

Fisher has made himself their father, not their coach

RockRam449August 29, 2016 07:25AM

Re: Fisher has made himself their father, not their coach

LARams17373August 29, 2016 07:33AM

I agree with 98% of that and the 2% isn't worth mentioning. nm

Saguaro436August 29, 2016 07:41AM

Re: I'm a bit flummoxed

laram578August 29, 2016 09:24AM

Starters should have played 2 qtrs per game

Hazlet Hacksaw296August 29, 2016 09:30AM

True to a degree, but how individuals play also matters

RockRam315August 29, 2016 09:35AM

Re: I spoke of "units" not individuals...

laram438August 29, 2016 10:08AM

Great posts Rock! nm

six2stack568August 29, 2016 10:19AM

Good post

dodgerram402August 29, 2016 10:35AM

Then, Fisher will get fired and we start over.

SunTzu_vs_Camus284August 29, 2016 03:41PM

Re: The Rams cupboard is not bare

Speed_Kills416August 29, 2016 03:52PM