Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Keep your car's maintenance records... WRITE IT DOWN...

October 08, 2020 02:02PM
My wifes car blew up recently. Well, it didn't actually blow up but the engine froze. I was driving it to the repair shop when it happened.. on a freeway in Fresno so it was adventurous.

Anyway.. her car was under warranty, purchased at CarMax, with the extended warranty. HOWEVER... when I called CarMax I was informed that their service department was closed due to Covid-19.... but that another dealership would honor the warranty. That's where I was headed when the car went to sing with the choir invisible.

So the lady who checked me in asked for my maintenance records.... yikes, I don't keep personal maintenance records. The lady informed me that if I had not completed every recommended service they would not honor the warranty. DOUBLE YIKES YIKES. That would mean a totaled car, a totaled car NOT paid off.

So, I went to CarMax and got copies of all maintenance records... also went to Red Carpet, just in case, and got copies of all oil changes and a few other things Red Carpet takes care of. I had a stack of papers 2 inches high.... took them in to the service place then waited on pins and needles for 3 days... it's covered. I'm good.

Point i'm making is this... if you do your own maintenance, (as I have in the past, but not with this particular car), for some 'warranties' you better have good documentation, OFFICIAL documentation... or you could be up you know what creek. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Keep your car's maintenance records... WRITE IT DOWN...

JamesJM267October 08, 2020 02:02PM

I bought my Sentra new, in April 2011.

Ramgator156October 08, 2020 04:03PM

Re: Keep your car's maintenance records... WRITE IT DOWN...

waterfield102October 08, 2020 04:50PM

Yup, that's how I was with this car....but my pickup?

JamesJM103October 09, 2020 08:04AM

Re: Yup, that's how I was with this car....but my pickup?

waterfield107October 09, 2020 09:24AM

That's true, depends on the type of service....

JamesJM95October 09, 2020 10:35AM