Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My first impression Firestick vs AppleTV review...

July 16, 2017 08:15PM
I have little experience to go on here with the Firestick, only been using it a few days.

I have both - AppleTV and Firestick. So... here's what I can say at this time.

They are exactly the same, do the same things, so me buying a Firestick was "mostly" redundant. Oops. The only thing that you can really compare, (another that I'll get to), is navigation and I don't like either system very much. I'm talking menus, finding things, voice recognition, etc. If I have to choose..well, I can't. AppleTV is far more simple and easy to use... Firestick is more robust. But I KNOW AppleTV and I'm LEARNING Firestick.. this could change.

So for the most part there is no difference.... no big difference. I believe, not sure, the Firestick has a bit more to offer in the way of apps for watching shows: movies, TV, etc. That's the 'other' thing. As far as the 'major' channels.. .HBO, ESPN, Local Channels, there is no difference... both have them all EXCEPT... I think the Fire Stick now has Amazon Prime and it won't be available on AppleTV until later this year.

Without question AppleTV works better with my computers and devices, (duh, they're all apple). BUT... and even though I haven't set it all up yet... I think the Fire Stick will work with my computers and devices as well. Personal content I mean.. movies, music, photos. Never as seamlessly, for sure, Apple will make sure of that... Google as well.

THUS... since the Fire Stick is so much cheaper... and if you have neither, and aren't locked into Apple like I am... go Fire Stick. Although, and some of you might know... can you stream from a phone, or tablet, to a Fire Stick? If that's important to you, (it is for me), and Fire Stick won't, then AppleTV wins. (I gotta believe you can with a Fire Stick).

Siri vs Alexa... as far as I can tell no difference whatsoever. Both work well, both can be somewhat touchy. I prefer the Fire Stick remote... much easier to use if not as 'elegant' which Apple would like you to have as your priority... doesn't work for me.

Bad thing for me and Fire Stick... gotta be fix, or I'm just not doing things right... but my model Harmony Remote won't control a Fire Stick remote.

My new TV is great.. and frustrating. Far more complicated to learn and the Sony's now come WITHOUT a manual. Or a good manual, I should say.. only the basics, VERY basics. Got the AppleTV and Firestick running through my stereo for audio but can't figure out how, if it's even possible, to get my over the air antenna to do the same. I think this is a problem with my Harmony universal remote which doesn't have an 'antenna' option... I'll try it soon bypassing my Harmony Remote and using the TV remote.

what I know for sure... you may like one over the other but I don't believe there's any good reason to do so. They're the same blessed thing. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My first impression Firestick vs AppleTV review...

JamesJM509July 16, 2017 08:15PM