Advanced

Article: PFT’s 2023 NFL defensive rookie of the year: Kobie Turner

January 09, 2024 02:32PM
PFT’s 2023 NFL defensive rookie of the year: Kobie Turner

By
Mike Florio
link

Published January 9, 2024 07:10 PM

The race for defensive rookie of the year featured a couple of names throughout the year. By the time the dust settled, an unlikely candidate emerged as the winner.

The PFT defensive rookie of the year for 2023 is Rams nose tackle Kobie Turner.

A third-round pick from Wake Forest, Turner led all rookies with 9.0 sacks, a significant feat for any interior defensive lineman. He also tied the Rams’ rookie sack record, set nine years ago by Aaron Donald.

Turner finished strong, racking up eight sacks in the final nine games of the 2023 season. He played in 62 percent of the defensive snaps, with four starts in 17 games.

Has Kobie gotten enough attention to sway enough of the AP voters? That remains to be seen. He got our attention, however, and he gets the prize as this year’s best rookie on defense.

Finishing second on the internal ballots was Texans defensive end Will Anderson. Also getting consideration were Eagles defensive tackle Jalen Carter, Seahawks cornerback Devon Witherspoon and Steelers cornerback Joey Porter, Jr.

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2024 02:33PM by Ramsdude.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Article: PFT’s 2023 NFL defensive rookie of the year: Kobie Turner

Ramsdude171January 09, 2024 02:32PM