Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

For those who like more wonky stuff on Avila - this is good

April 30, 2023 07:30PM
The Trench Warfare 2023 NFL Draft Film Room

TCU LG Steve Avila

Avila was originally recruited to TCU as a guard after playing left tackle as a senior in high school but began his time in Ft. Worth playing right tackle as a freshman on the scout team under the tutelage of former TCU and current Chiefs RT Lucas Niang. Avila was moved inside to center the ensuing season, which was a dramatic change that took some time for him to adjust to, but his time spent outside at tackle helped increase his comfort-level operating in space and refined his skills as a pass-protector.

Avila eventually settled in at left guard in 2022. He amassed 35 career starts over his college career at center (17), left guard (15), right tackle (2) and right guard (1). Avila projects best as a guard in the NFL while offering proven versatility across the interior with the ability to get a team out of a pinch at tackle.

When I began studying Avila’s tape at center from the 2021 season, I was impressed with his play strength but wasn’t particularly drawn into many other areas of his game. Then I turned on the 2022 tape at left guard, and the more exposures I had the more I started to recognize traits that set him apart from others in this class.

At 6’3” 335 pounds, Avila has the wide-bodied frame with starter-level play strength and power to both dissipate and dish out force, holding and resetting the line of scrimmage in the run game, but it is his light feet that really drew me in and raised his grade.

During our 40-minute discussion, I showed several examples of these traits and critical factors with Avila providing excellent insight into his career, mindset and overall approach as a player. We really connected in our love of the trenches, and this was one of my favorite sit downs with any prospect over the last few seasons. Once you take the time to watch/listen, you will quickly see why I project Avila as an early starting guard in the NFL.

Specific topics covered during the film room:

Scout team RT, transitioning to center and playing both guard spots

The differences in tackle, guard and center

Playing offensive line is all about angles and how they change from position to position. Avila’s understanding of those really jumps out when you watch and listen to him talk about his game

How ‘shortening angles’ at guard plays right into Avila’s wheelhouse

One of the most fun aspects about playing offensive line; finding work when uncovered

Avila’s favorite “ID” against a three man front

Resetting and refitting hands under and inside of a pass-rusher and how that can win the leverage battle

“Deleting” the frontside defensive end en route to the linebacker versus an odd front

Avila talks about the Senior Bowl and how one of his top goals was to prove that he is more versatile than given credit for. Ex: not just an ‘inside zone/duo’ blocker.

Adjusting aiming points against post-snap movement to dig out a massive 3-technique attempting to cross-face and gain inside penetration

Video preview

The importance of having active, alert eyes in pass-protection combined with the anchor to shut down penetration while already engaged

Video preview

Avila broke down one of his favorite plays of the season against Michigan with a lot of moving parts and you can really get a sense of his passion and knowledge of the game during his breakdown

One play that caught my eye was an awesome job finishing from Avila despite being down by 50+ points late in the National Championship against Georgia that speaks to a really impressive level of consistency and competitive toughness.

Video preview

The importance of staying light on your hands and not trying to deliver kill shots in pass-protection allowing you as a blocker to stay in the fight and recover after the rusher executes their first move
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

For those who like more wonky stuff on Avila - this is good

JimYoungblood53268April 30, 2023 07:30PM