Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blinkscout Combine analysis ... QB

March 09, 2023 07:32AM
The pundits seemed consistent with making cases for a lot of these guys to get drafted in the mid rounds ... I don't know how much we've seen that, so I was confused. Ridder, Corral, Howell, and Willis were drafted mid rounds. I had Howell as the highest of those and he went last. But also, he might be the only sure starter of that bunch come next September.

The goal here, is to get a solid backup that can win games. Not "in a pinch" ... no qualifiers. And for some of these guys, the measurements matter more than others.

Tyson Bagent, Shepherd Pretty much prototype size, ball comes off his hand in an interesting manner (almost "rolls"winking smiley ... had another solid day (was a an all star game) throwing the ball. Not spectacular, but it wasn't too big for him either. His Dad is the reigning 28 time world arm wrestling champion, and is a huge personality, so I have some psych questions for him.

Stetson Bennett, Georgia Two time CFP champ. Same size as Bryce Young. 5-10.5 190. First thing he did was really get out the gate running with a 4.6 40. So he can get away from LBs. Also, it was a VERY quick start ... his split was likely very fast. Question is accuracy. Kid is a winner ... tough. Every once in a while during the workout he'd just miss. He's 25 I think? Maybe a few tweaks and that changes. that can likely be said for a few guys on this list.

Malik Cunningham, Louisville He's progressed in his career, but enough to make a team? He can definitely run, but can he make a tough throw when it's needed? I don't think he's draftable.

Max Duggan, TCU I've been talking him up all year. He's one of the toughest competitors I've ever seen, and he came in bigger than I thought at 6-1.5 207. Then he ran a 4.52. I have been willing to spend a fifth on him and I still am. I still think he's in play for there or the 6th. I can't see him going undrafted. He has some accuracy concerns but they didn't show up in his workout from what I saw. Not saying he didn't miss throws, he just wasn't off by much and corrected his mistakes the next rep.

Jake Haener, Fresno State Another kid I like. If you've read me at all this year you know I am a fan. He had a great Senior Bowl week and game. He has more of an arm than you'd think and can really sling it if he needs to. He was as accurate as he needed to be. But he came in at 5-11.5 and 195. So how many teams ding him for that?

Jaren Hall, BYU So, I don't like him. lol. I watch a lot of BYU. They're high in my rotation. What I don't like is that he teases you with excellence and then blows it when it matters. I thought he had a great workout. He has enough size. He's older. I know someone will draft him in the mid rounds, I just hope it isn't us.

Hendon Hooker, Tennessee So ... let's say you're in a dynasty league. This IMO is the player with the highest floor and second highest ceiling. He just met with teams, but he's far enough along to start the season. Doesn't mean he will, just means he'll be ready as a backup this year and ready to go next year if not taking over by the end of this one. I don;'t get why he's not in the top 10 conversation. He'd be playing for best in show if he wasn't injured and he has improved more than almost any other player I've seen throughout his college career, and also likely runs a 4.4. I don't get it.

Will Levis, Kentucky Loves the gym. Didn't run, but he's not wanting to run away for people, so maybe just coach him on not taking hits. The offense suffered not having Liam Coen ... so his tape has some desperation in it. He has a gun, and had a good workout spinning it and taking some off when needed and putting air under his throws. Will likely be in the top 10, one of the top 4 QBs, who could really go in any order.

Tanner McKee, Stanford Older kid ... went on a mission. A real 6-6.5 and 238. Arm is above average, accuracy is "decent" but with Stroud and Young in this class you're not going to show them up. Stanford had O line issues this past year and injuries at WR (I'm looking at you Michael Wilson). So, for me he's a big unknown. Besides stature, I don't know why he's in the convo for the top 2 rounds.

Aidan O'Connell, Purdue Not a runner. In fact I'd say not a really natural athlete. "Pocket is his friend" ... so does he have a place in today's NFL? He had Charlie Jones and Payne Durham as security blankets. I don't think he's draftable, but he could stick to a PS.

Anthony Richardson, Florida So ... I'm a Gator fan by roots (Grew up in FL and had friends go there) and I tend to form strong opinions about their players. He had me really frustrated at the beginning of this year, just saw huge potential and not much leadership or accuracy. He improved during the year, but with limited starts and erratic play I have a hard time putting him in the first round. I think he'll go top 10 ... but he's a real risk. He's basically been raising his younger brother so I'm happy for his family and that his hard work will help them ... doesn't change the risk factor.

C.J. Stroud, Ohio State Maybe the prettiest example of throwing a football at a combine I've seen. I'm thinking he's pushing Bryce for best in show right now.

Dorian Thompson-Robinson, UCLA Athlete and competitor. My issue ... I watched his two biggest games this year. He turned the ball over 3 times in each. He had USC beat. So, I don't know what that is. He has a quick release and throws a tight spiral. I don;t know where his head was at those games, but it was a huge red flag.

Clayton Tune, Houston I have him as my consolation prize to draft in the 7th. or convince to come to town as a UDFA if we miss the other guys. He had a weak deep ball at the combine and if I remember he usually underthrew his WRs on dep balls at Houston.

Bryce Young, Alabama No workout, which might lose him the 1 overall spot if he doesn't kill his pro day. He's definitely small and not on the thicker side. How many hits can he take?

With the top 5 QBs, where they end up will likely determine their careers. I don't think any of them can do it on their own.

Questions and comments welcome.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Blinkscout Combine analysis ... QB

alyoshamucci341March 09, 2023 07:32AM

Re: DTR, and taking a flyer

leafnose158March 16, 2023 07:32AM

Re: DTR, and taking a flyer

alyoshamucci110March 16, 2023 07:43AM

Re: Blinkscout Combine analysis ... QB

azramfan100March 16, 2023 08:54AM

@Az

alyoshamucci168March 16, 2023 10:38AM