Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blinkscout Combine analysis ... DT and edge...

March 09, 2023 04:23PM
I am moving guys around on this ... the lines between groupings are still not perfect. They had them listed as Linemen and LBs ... I'm making a 3rd category ... so it's basically DT, Edge, and LB.

DT (1,3,5T)

Adetomiwa Adebawore, Northwestern Okay ... best testing numbers ever, I think. He tested with the DEs* but is a DT. He's 282 lbs. and ran a 4.49. Thats Aaron Donald size but .2 faster. He showed off at the Senior Bowl as well ... I feel like he needs coaching and might never be more than a rotational guy, but the athleticism is there.

MJ Anderson, Iowa State I feel like he's a 5 tech, drills were smooth ... he didn't run.

Keeanu Benton, Wisconsin He will likely be underdrafted because he's not dominant as a player. But he's very good at everything and is a starting DT. Drills were great.

Bryan Bresee, Clemson Big recruit and big kid who's best football is likely ahead of him because of college adversity. Tested really well, 3 or 5 tech with great drills. Likely tested himself into the first round.

Jalen Carter, Georgia Nada of course.

Jerrod Clark, Coastal Carolina Maybe helped himself more than anyone else ... separated athletically from the other big boys (340 plus) and had really great drills. I feel like years ago big noses were more of a thing but 3rd round seems likely these days. Case in point, beat Mustipher in the short shuttle by .2

Keondre Coburn, Texas Had a good day ... Not great. But like, try to move him.

DJ Dale, Alabama I have not really been a big fan of Bama's D line lately.

Gervon Dexter, Florida Can he be disciplined and consistent? is the question. He tested well. Huge human.

Siaki Ika, Baylor 355 lbs. Violent. Ive followed him a while, he's gonna make some plays and blow some things up but he needs to rotate out in my opinion.

Calijah Kancey, Pittsburgh Actually watched a Pitt game right before the combine. His numbers transfer. Is he Aaron Donald? No. Is he Aaron Donald lite? Yes. Should be a top 25 pick.

Tyler Lacy, Oklahoma State Not ever really a fan, still not.

Myles Murphy, Clemson Dinged so no workout, but he's a solid 1st rounder.

PJ Mustipher, Penn State He's a rotational DT. Smooth but not sudden.

Moro Ojomo, Texas I thought he drilled well ... likely gets himself drafted late.

Zacch Pickens, South Carolina Had one of the better days, I'd have him a hair behind Benton overall.

Jalen Redmond, Oklahoma Really tested well ... I see him as a 5 tech in a 3-4 using athleticism to tie up blockers and set the edge, maybe chase some QBs down as they escape the pocket.

Jaquelin Roy, LSU Not really impressed.

Nesta Jade Silvera, Arizona State Had a meh workout.

Mazi Smith, Michigan No workout, just nailed the bench. I think people have him around the Benton/Pickens area.

Dante Stills, West Virginia Violent and sudden DT. I feel like he played every snap at WVA so at the next level he might provide more value. I'm a fan and he had great #s. Burst and COD.

Colby Wooden, Auburn Really drilled smoothly (worked with middle group) ... could actually be a big 7 tech but I like him on a 4-3 better. Late rounder.

Byron Young, Alabama No drills I don't think.

Cameron Young, Mississippi State Rotational DT. Decent drills. Maybe draftable.

Edge Defenders

Will Anderson Jr., Alabama He tested with the LBs ... ran a 4.6 .. smooth enough through drills. I feel like in a normal year he wouldn't be in the top 5 conversation but he's still a very good player.

Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Kansas State I don't think he worked out. He's still likely a top 50 guy.

Habakkuk Baldonado, Pittsburgh He drilled well and timed well. Had a down year, and is likely not a top 100 player ... but he didn;t hurt himself at the combine.

Robert Beal Jr., Georgia Lacked burst numbers but had a great 40 ... long arms. Led UGA in sacks. I don't know. Is he a 2nd or 5th rounder? I don't have enough tape on him. He drilled well.

Andre Carter II, Army He was smooth in drills, and looks like an LB, but we were worried about his strength because of limited weight room and bulking opportunities and he put up 11 reps. My brother (Sun Tzu) was a QB and I watched him do 20. So ... can he actually set an NFL edge? There's a threshold where this stuff matters. If he adds the strength, how much will he weigh?

Brenton Cox, Florida I take issue with UF players that get dismissed. I believe he was dismissed twice in fact. His day wasn't terrible but he's only a 5th rounder if he DOES win the interviews. So no thanks.

YaYa Diaby, Louisville One of the bigger surprises. I feel like I have one more of his games. 4.51 40 at 263 lbs. Great drills. Why not more production ... anyone have ideas there? He (and Byron Young) looked like first rounders from the combine they had but I don't see either in the top 2 rounds coming in. 37 vert 1.56 split

Ikenna Enechukwu, Rice I thought he had a good day, not great. Bright spot on a bad team ... special teamer to start.

Viliami Fehoko Jr., San Jose State I wanted to see him test. Bummed. Should be a freak athlete.

Isaiah Foskey, Notre Dame So, me and Dead are likely closer on this guy than he thinks, but I know exactly why I'm dinging him and setting him at the bottom half of the second. Good news, he has really impressive power and converts his energy well ... has long arms (34) ... 10-5 broad. Bad news is his 3 cone is barely better than Keanu Benton the DT. And his split is 1.66. I think the issue between Dedd and I is Im disappointed because I wanted him to be better. But I feel like we have him around the same area.

Ali Gaye, LSU Strange player for me. Decent drills, didn't run. Unproductive giant. I don't know why you draft him. Placeholder backup in a 4-3?

Nick Hampton, Appalachian State Ugh this guy. I love him. Tied 3rd in FBS in sacks and has a real talent to hunt QBs, but HE'S SO SMALL. He ran a 4.58 but his burst isn't great. I don't know if you draft him.

Zach Harrison, Ohio State Wanted to see him test badly. But nope. I need to see #s from him too.

Derick Hall, Auburn Tested well ... I thought his drills were average but the pundits liked them. 4.57 40 is a great time. I feel like he has one move, and it won't be good enough at the next level. Too tight. Still a 3rd rounder or fourth for me but people are talking round 1.

KJ Henry, Clemson Didn't test, did he drill? If he did it was unremarkable. I'm not a fan. Seems stuck in mud too often.

Nick Herbig, Wisconsin Younger brother of Nate the OG. Grew up in Hawaii. 6-2 240, undersized ... ran a 4.65. BUT ... the difference in Wisconsin's defense from when he was there rushing the passer and not? Night and day. If he slides, I'm taking him in the 5th. Maybe trading up for him. 25 reps. He works hard.

Dylan Horton, TCU 4-3 end with plus size and power. Smooth drills but not fast.

Thomas Incoom, Central Michigan Likely a 4-3 end ... though he did drill well, I'd rather him going forward. 4.66 40 at 262. He had 12 sacks and was second in the nation. I have no idea where he'll end up. But he tested much better than I thought.

DJ Johnson, Oregon Run a 4.49 big fella! 28 reps. Not as solid burst numbers, better long speed. I think he's an athletic end not a rush backer.

Andre Jones Jr., Louisiana He pulled a hammy on the 40. Their coach left for UF so who knows what would have happened otherwise.

Isaiah Land, Florida A&M They talked him up a bunch ... I'm not seeing it.

Ochaun Mathis, Nebraska 4-3 end ... thought he had a good workout and had decent numbers. He was productive early in his career then trailed off and transferred.

Will McDonald IV, Iowa State Target of mine. Maybe the best drills... 11 foot broad jump. I feel like his 40 would have been in the low 4.5s.

Isaiah McGuire, Missouri Drilled smoothly and tested well. Likely a 4-3 end mid rounds. Has had some dominant moments. 36.5 vert at 268 lbs.

Mike Morris, Michigan I wanted him to be better. He can be a beast in games or disappear. I don't know what to do with him.

Caleb Murphy, Ferris State Looked like he belonged. Didn't rush or overdo anything. Solid 10 yard split. Put him in a 4-3 and let him rush the passer.

BJ Ojulari, LSU 34 inch arms and a 10-6 broad. No 40. Smooth drilling ... I think many like him more than I do ... but he's a leader and I wouldn't be sad with him after a trade down in the second.

Lonnie Phelps, Kansas Where does he get drafted? 31 reps 4.55 40. I thought he drilled right well with the LBs. If he's around in the 5th or 6th I don;t know how you don't take him. I thought he'd jumped beyond that.

Jose Ramirez, Eastern Michigan Maxx Crosby effect will jump him ... had a ton of sacks ... 12 ? tested out the gate at short shuttle and 3 cone. THis "late orund steal became a likely 2nd or 3rd rounder and he tested well enough to deserve it.

Tavius Robinson, Mississippi Smooth big 4-3 DE that can move inside on passing downs. I like his tape enough for him ot be a rotational piece worth drafting.

Nolan Smith, Georgia No drills. He likely tested firmly into the top 25.

Tuli Tuipulotu, USC Had a great day. I thought he might be stiff and he proved me wrong. Led FBS in sacks at 13.5, and was a serious leader in the locker room. He could be an even better pro. I think you keep him at 4-3 edge and let him play his game. But a team may take himfor 3-4 rush LB .. given his attitude I believe he'd do what it takes to learn it. Teetering on top 40 for me.

Lukas Van Ness, Iowa Low end reps ... I really didn't get that into his tape. Im definitely not as high on him as everyone else. but his numbers at 6-5 270 in the 3 cone, 40, and short shuttle are impossible to ignore.

Tyrus Wheat, Mississippi State 4.65 at 262 lbs. Good split (1.59). Low burst numbers. Needs a redshirt for weight training. 4-3 end only ... not agile.

Keion White, Georgia Tech Freak ... 30 reps, didn't run. Looked like a smaller edge at 286 lbs when moving. Had a great Senior Bowl. He's up and down the first round depending on the moods of the "experts" ... I feel like if you "can" make him an off the ball LB, you try to do it.

Tyree Wilson, Texas Tech No workout. I didn't have him as a top ten talent.

Byron Young, Tennessee Have a day, kid. Led them in sacks two years in a row. 4.43 40? 11 foot broad? He drilled fast but not as smooth as I'd like for an outside backer. That said he's looking like a second rounder that could slide to the 3rd.

Questions and comments welcome ... need to do LBs separate, my hands hurt, dang arthritis.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Blinkscout Combine analysis ... DT and edge...

alyoshamucci222March 09, 2023 04:23PM

Can any of the edge guys have an impact for the rams this year?

Ram4life80March 09, 2023 04:29PM