Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Merlin with some thoughts on Rams secondary…

February 27, 2023 10:26AM
Here’s Merlin…

Decline + Rams are paying him (Ramsey) as an eraser + we had a bottom third defense in many metrics. We need to reinvest in the defense, in particular the secondary. Does it make sense to try to do that while you're pissing cap space away to a moody corner whose best days are behind him. Truth is we are fortunate that the league at large seems to hold him in high regard right now.

Also re: Durant the kid barely got a chance early on to contribute but he led the secondary in key metrics after only a handful of games. Disregarding him is silly. Rams hit on him, question is whether he can adjust to playing outside the hash in the NFL because you must be able to tackle. But worst case he will be a top slot corner for us.

Rams biggest problems are at safety. Ramsey could move to safety, but he's not gonna take a demotion from corner yet. He won't do that until it's obvious to everyone that his skills are gone. And his pay prevents a move to safety making sense.

Personally I am a big fan of Durant and his game. I think his aggressiveness and ball skills are required outside the hash, thus I see him as one of our boundary corners and I expect him to have a fantastic season in 2023. We hit on him IMO. What we need to do now is hit on another corner who can play outside the hash and we'll be good to go. Kendrick is simply too limited athletically and will end up in the slot. But he's got some really nice skills to him as well, in particular his ability to control the opponent when he's on top of him. Which is easier to accomplish in the slot and it is where you have resources around you.

Safety is very irritating to me. I don't know what Morris is looking for with those guys but hopefully we get back to having a duo who can switch it up to allow for playing pre-snap games with QBs. We might need two safeties.

This draft is probably going to be quite heavy in the secondary. Safety and Corner for sure, at a minimum, IMO. And we might see a FA safety as well given that there are guys on that FA list who can help us plus they're relative bargains during that window.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Merlin with some thoughts on Rams secondary…

Rams43168February 27, 2023 10:26AM

More Merlin here and he certainly doesn’t hold back. Lol.

Rams43116February 27, 2023 10:36AM

Re: More Merlin here and he certainly doesn’t hold back. Lol.

Ramsdude91February 27, 2023 10:52AM