Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oldnotdead with some thoughts on Baker Mayfield…

December 30, 2022 07:37AM
Here’s Oldnotdead…

I have to agree. He's been a good teammate in Carolina and in LA. I think all his mis-steps in Cleveland caught up to him and humbled him. You can tell he's very focused and I can tell by his play how much he's improved. He's a system QB best in a read offense, and it's why I kept harping on him to develop the skills while he was in Cleveland. Baker and Kyler are the same in that regard. But guess which one has done the work and has developed and the other hasn't. Mayfield was simply playing the way the coach wanted him to play i.e. by progression, not by reading the secondary and anticipating. If Odell was #3 it didn't matter if he was open, if #1 or 2 were open as well.

If Mayfield stays with the Rams as I anticipate, the Cards will eat their damn hearts out. Instead of throwing money at Kyler, they should have traded for Mayfield. Now that would have made them a legit contender for the division and a playoff caliber team. But that FO can't stop standing on their own (bleeps). My neighbors are already jealous after watching Mayfield with the Rams.

Mayfield will do what Stafford did and push the Rams to the top of the division. The Niners will have to give up on their Lance experiment if they don't want to lose the momentum they have built. They had a QB good enough to win with in Jimmy G and didn't even realize it. Jimmy G is a second tier QB but as with all second tier QBs if you put a team around them on both sides of the ball and have a good running game they would give you complimentary ball and would be good enough to contend with....i.e. al la Goff in Detroit. Jimmy G is hammering that lesson in very hard right now.

Jimmy is a UFA next year. Carr, Jimmy G, and Tommy B all hitting the market as well as potentially Rodgers will dilute the demand for Mayfield who has yet to prove anything. That's why I don't think the contracts that will be offered to Mayfield will be what most here seem to think. I see them as being 2-3 year proveit deals. If Snead can commit to him being a starter here no later than 2025 he might stay. If Snead offers him the start in 2024 he will definitely stay. With Carr hitting the market and he having final say as to where he goes, you better believe LA would be at the top of his wish list. That would give the Rams leverage. I'd rather have Mayfield than Carr for two reasons, 1. McVay really likes him 2. Baker is a good fit for Sean's scheme more so than Carr.

Seattle will have to go after Carr if they want to compete in the NFCW arms race.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2022 07:38AM by Rams43.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Oldnotdead with some thoughts on Baker Mayfield…

Rams43187December 30, 2022 07:37AM

More Oldnotdead…

Rams43126December 30, 2022 08:08AM