Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jalen Ramsey hates when people compare him and Stephon Diggs…

March 30, 2022 06:28AM
Jalen Ramsey hates when people compare him and Trevon Diggs

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

There was an ongoing debate last season about who the best cornerback in the NFL was: Jalen Ramsey or Trevon Diggs? Both had phenomenal seasons, earning first-team All-Pro and Pro Bowl selections. Both helped their defenses considerably, making plays in the secondary for their teams.

But they’re completely different players who play the cornerback position in very different ways. Ramsey is a lockdown corner who takes some chances in coverage, but typically, he’s focused on preventing his assignment from getting the ball.

Diggs jumps routes often and breaks on the ball in an attempt to either break up the pass or pick it off. It’s why he had a league-high 11 picks with 142 return yards and two touchdowns.

Ramsey considers Diggs one of the best corners in the game, but he hates the comparisons that are made between him and Diggs.

“I ain’t gonna lie, I hate it when people compare me and Trevon,” he said on “The Pivot Podcast” this week. “We play completely different. I always play out of phase, he always plays in phase.”

Ryan Clark pointed out that Diggs gave up more than 1,000 yards in coverage, which is a massive number for a cornerback.

“That’s because he always plays in phase, but he also had 11, 12, maybe 13 picks. That’s crazy,” Ramsey replied. “He plays different. He plays in phase. It’s a different style of how he plays. I agree, if you are a guy who plays in phase a lot like he does, you’re gonna have to have a lot of picks, which he does. He does, so it’s working out for him. He’s one of the best at doing that. Same with J.C. (Jackson).”

Ramsey ranked the top cornerbacks in the NFL after himself, putting Marshon Lattimore second and Xavien Howard as No. 3. Diggs was fourth and J.C. Jackson was fifth, mixing the styles of cornerbacks in his top five.

He said if you want a high-risk, high-reward cornerback, Diggs and Jackson fit that mold. But for cornerbacks who lock down an opposing No. 1 receiver and don’t give up much in coverage, Ramsey, Lattimore and Tre’Davious White are in that category.

You can’t go wrong with any of those players in the secondary, but Ramsey would rather not be compared to Diggs.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Jalen Ramsey hates when people compare him and Stephon Diggs…

Rams43274March 30, 2022 06:28AM

*Trevon Diggs

Shecky77March 30, 2022 07:28AM

Re: *Trevon Diggs

Rams4376March 30, 2022 08:16AM