Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FrantikRam has some interesting thoughts on possible Rams draft strategy…

March 30, 2022 07:01AM
Here’s FrantikRam…

Casuals and the media constantly get this wrong. They currently aren't aware, for example, that Greg Gaines has elevated himself out of "role player" status and squarely into "good starter" status (or whatever terminology we want to use).

But even more disturbing to me are that Rams fans on this site seem to be making the same mistake.

The Rams model is to find players that do something well, then develop them. Nick Scott is a great example of this - he was an ace special teamer and has developed into an actual playable safety. Last year he displayed both range and the ability to pop a receiver at times.

The NFL - and really, all professional sports leagues - rely on development from one year to the next. When someone flashes what Scott flashed last year, that potential can turn into consistency with the right coaching staff.

So why do some Rams fans think safety is a need? Because some of us are just refusing to accept that role players are a thing. The other thing to consider is that both getting playing time in a limited capacity (Funk) and being on the roster but getting none (Garrett) are positives for rookies, and this coaching staff has flat out PROVEN that they know what they're doing. So what, exactly, do we know?

We'll ignore QB - although it's worth noting that with Wolford and Perkins, there is zero chance we will be adding a QB - and WR for obvious reasons.

RB - Akers, Henderson, Funk - we know that this group has injury concerns - safe bet that we add a RB late in the draft to compete for that 4th RB spot

OL - Havenstein, Shelton, Allen, Edwards, Noteboom, Jackson, Anchrum, Evans - we know that those 8 are likely to make the roster next year and that group includes at least two players that can play a given position - this means that, despite ROD threatening to jump off a ledge again........it's possible the Rams ignore OL again in the draft. Don't forget that this is the same group as last year minus Corbett and Whitworth - and last year we were facing three FA OL AND Whit likely retiring. So it may not stress the Rams out that Hav, Edwards and Evans will all hit FA next year - I think it's 50/50 that we actually draft an offensive lineman this year, and that's okay - much to the chagrin of this board, any offensive lineman drafted would be for the future, NOT for 2022

TE - Higbee, Hopkins, Blanton - I think it's very likely we finally draft a TE - late - mostly for blocking. In a pinch, Harris could be a flex TE type, and Hopkins and Blanton both played well on the biggest stages.

DL - AD, Gaines, Robinson, Brown, Hoecht, Copeland - this is the group that will make the team, but the Rams seem to like giving Eric Henderson someone to mold and develop in the background - I'd guess DL is on the priority UDFA radar, but not a draft pick

EDGE - Floyd, Hollins, Lewis, Garrett - probably the most divisive group - could go either way. What I want to point out is that this exact group - swapping Garrett for Obo - was getting pressure before we acquired Von. I think the biggest disagreement is on Hollins - he's a good role player though and is capable of starting for us - I think it's more likely we get a vet FA signing ala Melvin Ingram than we do going the draft route this year

ILB - Jones, Howard, Rozeboom - we obviously need a body or two here - IF we sign Wagner, I'd imagine the rotation will just be Jones, Wagner and Howard with Rozeboom playing special teams - but with that up in the air, I think we end up spending a draft pick here

S - the main reason I wanted to talk about role players - we have four of them here, and this is a position group we should absolutely ignore until UDFA. We showed we can find them and have some on other teams rosters; having a 5th safety would be good, but it should be an UDFA

CB - another divisive group - the thing I want to point out here - and really this goes for ILB, S and CB too - is that when you win the Super Bowl with some of these role players playing a significant amount of time, upgrading them should not be a priority unless you have the resources to do it - and we do NOT. It will likely disturb people to think that David Long will play a significant role in the defense next year - but he will. He already did on a SUPER BOWL WINNING TEAM. Long played 82% of the snaps in the Super Bowl and guess what? I don't remember him getting picked on much....at all. Our model also asks Robert Rochell to be a starter next year....that's just how we roll. But that said, we still need to add CB in the draft - likely two of them

(I think punter will be UDFA or a vet FA)

So where does that leave our draft picks - or in other words - what are the positions most likely to be picked?

RB
TE
ILB
CB (2)

These would be the biggest needs, which leaves some flexibility for OL, EDGE and DL if wanted
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

FrantikRam has some interesting thoughts on possible Rams draft strategy…

Rams43221March 30, 2022 07:01AM