Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

McVay and Snead’s often overlooked superpowers…

February 28, 2022 08:40AM
Sean McVay is an elite HC, no question, in part because he does so many different things so very well. But there is one aspect of McVay that usually gets overlooked because there are so many other distracting shiny objects to look at.

The superpower I’m referring to is his uncanny ability to hire outstanding asst coaches one after another. He’s only muffed one hire in 5 plus years! That’s a remarkable record when you think about it. His steady stream of great incoming asst coaches makes it possible for Snead’s strategy of trading away 1sts and 2nds to be successful while relying on the coaches to develop youngsters quickly every season. The importance of this simply cannot be overstated. Helluva ‘superpower’, huh?

Snead has a ‘hidden’ superpower, too. He, too, gets praise for many things he does as a top flight GM. But there is one aspect that doesn’t get enough attention when the accolades are handed out. And that is simply that he assembled an elite corps of scouts and scouting supervisors back in 2017. Probably started the assembly after the ‘12 draft but I suspect that Fisher’s wants and interference kept Snead’s guys from firing on all cylinders until McVay’s arrival, but they’ve been nailing it in draft after draft and FA ever since, despite not having the 1sts. This is the backbone of Snead’s success and yet I don’t think he gets sufficient credit for it to this day.

What a team Snead and McVay have made!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

McVay and Snead’s often overlooked superpowers…

Rams43189February 28, 2022 08:40AM