Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Our Other Generational Talent

January 31, 2022 06:39AM
Watching AD, we all know we are privileged to watch a DT who is one of the very best in league history. A dominant force in virtually every game. A player who simply cannot be taken out of the game.

Well, we have another one. Cooper Kupp is a generational talent at WR.

Here's the thing. Defenses cannot figure out how to cover him. They really, honestly can't. Why?

I think that Cooper Kupp might be the best route runner in league history. I think he is actually teaching the league a lesson about how dominant pure route running technique can be.

I was watching some You Tube nonsense a month back or so. Some ex-players were arguing about whether CK is the best WR in the game. They didn't dispute how good he was, but some of them could simply not accept that he is the best. They kept reverting to physical specimens as being "better," even with much lower production.

They were experiencing cognitive dissonance. The "best" WR has to be fast, right? And CK is probably middle of the pack in pure speed. They simply could not process the notion that a route runner is actually "better" than the physical specimens.

On the other hand, I have heard numerous ex-players talk about WHY CK is so good. They talk about how, at the "top of the route," he is unreadable. He has a quiver full of cut options and no tells. Defenses cannot deal with it. He just slays every coverage with moves and then decisive cuts no one can stay with.

I think the league is in shock about exactly that. I don't think the league really understood that sheer route running could be that lethal. Certainly talking heads don't get it. I have no idea whether others can come along and follow the trail he is blazing, but I am pretty sure that the league is beginning to realize that the ceiling for route running is a lot higher than they realized.

Of course, there's all the other stuff. The QB-level intelligence and ability to read a defense. The blocking. The professionalism. On and on. We've had some great WRs. I always loved Ike because of his route running. But I have never seen a Ram WR open up this large of a gap on league-wide coverage and sustain it week after week against the top defenses in the league. I have never seen a Ram WR this good.

I am not sure I have ever seen a WR on any team match his level of consistency in shredding whatever scheme is thrown against him. I have surely never seen a route runner this good.

NB: I don't really have clear memories of Raymond Berry and Steve Largent really didn't feature in games I watched. Don Hutson was before my time playing in a very different league. I dunno. I just can't think of a route runner on CK's level. Waterfield ... anyone you can think of?

Cooper Kupp is so good it's hard to appreciate all he does. With most players, we remember a couple of big plays. Well, he has those too, of course. But this guy routinely makes 5-15 yard catches that move the chains and does so breaking people's ankles and beating coverages trying to take him away. He comes out of games with, say, 3 big plays and another 9-10 of more modest production but equal brilliance. A fan simply cannot appreciate them all.

I doubt we'll ever see another WR who matches CK's brilliance. Let's enjoy every moment!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2022 06:43AM by RFL.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Our Other Generational Talent

RFL871January 31, 2022 06:39AM

Great post...

stlramz255January 31, 2022 06:43AM

Re: Our Other Generational Talent

nicecatchellard184January 31, 2022 06:44AM

21Dog128January 31, 2022 06:48AM

YAC, too!

RFL125January 31, 2022 06:56AM

I loved Ike.

RFL122January 31, 2022 06:48AM

Wow did you ever say that well....

JamesJM123January 31, 2022 06:49AM

Trying to describe a sunset.

RFL133January 31, 2022 07:03AM

Subtle....

JamesJM130January 31, 2022 07:07AM

Breaking ankles!

RFL217January 31, 2022 07:09AM

Well, it's as you say, RFL....

JamesJM135January 31, 2022 07:15AM

Totally agree. It's absurd to say DeVanta Adams is the best.

RockRam125January 31, 2022 07:19AM

thank you for this wonderful poetry and art

Rams_81133January 31, 2022 07:41AM

Classicalwit105January 31, 2022 07:42AM

Rams4392January 31, 2022 11:57AM

He knows the coverage calls

merlin109January 31, 2022 01:28PM

h2omelonhead98January 31, 2022 01:41PM