Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams are considering ‘different avenues’ at WR with depth thinning…

November 02, 2021 07:14AM
Rams are considering 'different avenues' at WR with depth thinning

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Skyler Carlin

We all know that Cooper Kupp is having a historic season for the Los Angeles Rams, Robert Woods is still a do-it-all guy, and Van Jefferson continues to show he has a bright future ahead of him. But what about the depth behind Kupp, Woods, and Jefferson?

With Tutu Atwell being placed on injured reserve and DeSean Jackson either getting traded or released, Sean McVay discussed what the Rams could do at the wide receiver position moving forward.

“We’re working through that right now. There’s some different avenues, whether it’s guys out there or practice squad. And that’s kind of something that Les and I, we’re kind of working through. This is kind of consistent standard operating procedures based on injuries every single week, and so it is something that you want to be mindful of,” McVay said.

Atwell suffered a shoulder injury in Week 8, ending his rookie season prematurely before he caught his first pass in the NFL. As for Jackson, the veteran wideout seems to want a larger role in an offense, which is something that the Rams can’t oblige with their current personnel.

Behind the main contributors at wide receiver, Los Angeles currently has Ben Skowronek as the only other wideout on the roster, who caught three passes for 30 yards against the Houston Texans on Sunday. Jacob Harris, a hybrid wide receiver/tight end could see playing time out wide in certain offensive sets.

“I’ll tell you what, I was really pleased with some of the younger guys coming in and doing a nice job,” McVay continued. “I thought Ben Skowronek really came in and handled a couple targets really well. You could see he’s got a good understanding of what’s going on. It was good to get Jacob Harris involved. Really pleased with Van’s production and continued maturation, and we obviously know from that position that Cooper and Robert have been doing it at a really high level for a long time for the Rams.”

At the same time, McVay realizes the Rams need to make moves at wide receiver to improve their depth. I don’t expect Los Angeles to trade for a wideout, but I wouldn’t rule out anything when it comes to Les Snead.

Signing someone off of their practice squad or through free agency seems like the most realistic outcome with the trade deadline nearing a conclusion.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams are considering ‘different avenues’ at WR with depth thinning…

Rams43338November 02, 2021 07:14AM

Re: Rams are considering ‘different avenues’ at WR with depth thinning…

nicecatchellard205November 02, 2021 07:18AM

Bring Trishton Jackson back

CROMWELL21138November 02, 2021 07:34AM