Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oldnotdead with a few thoughts on a possible Raheem Morris D...

April 16, 2021 01:29PM
Here’s oldnotdead...

I think Morris will play a more standard 3-4 hybrid scheme. In reality, if played the way that scheme is originally designed it many times will only play one ILB. Both edge rushers would be OLB (JACK) with a MIKE and a SAM (OLcool smiley that is what Phillips played here. He didn't have the players to do it correctly, but Morris does. If Morris plays a more conventional hybrid scheme he will need a SAM OLB which is the position Ebukam played under Phillips and plays in the Niner 4-3. I think Jonah Williams might be someone they look at and a reason Ebukam might have become expendable. Although I also expect them to address this positional loss in the draft, which is why I think there first pick will be an OLB/edge (in this defense they want more than just a pass rusher which is why I think Okoronkwo isn't a starter here).

Ebukam is a perfect fit for the Niners and is an underrated signing by them. The problem with Staley's scheme is that it was pretty complicated which led to breakdowns in the secondary on occasions particularly when the play went off schedule. His scheme was a hybrid zone/man coverage. It will be interesting to see how Morris plays his secondary. The advantage he has vs Phillips is that the Ram front 4 now is much better and can get pressure without blitzes.

Morris played both a 4-3 and 3-4 hybrid schemes while at Atlanta. They originally ran a 4-3 under scheme fairly similar to what the Sea Hawks run. But in 2019 they switched to a 3-4 hybrid attacking scheme and had much more success. The advantage of the 4-3 under scheme is that it is a gap control scheme that allows the d-line to play faster as it eliminates some of the reads. The 3-4 hybrid is played much the same way by the defensive front. The difference is the hybrid gives the DC more options on how to play that front as most of it is made up of LBs which can confuse the o-line blocking scheme.

What I liked about Morris is Atlanta is he was able to get the most out of the players he had. He's never had a roster stacked with this much talent before which is why I'm anxious to see how he intends to use that talent. I would expect this defense barring roster losses to injury or COVID to stay ranked in the top 5 in the NFL. That would be good enough for this team to be a legit SB contender as I feel this offense can also be a top 5 unit.

Too many times this team lost games last year because the offense stalled. As long as Stafford stays healthy I don't see that happening again. There is a new sheriff in LA and he's a gunslinger.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Oldnotdead with a few thoughts on a possible Raheem Morris D...

Rams43414April 16, 2021 01:29PM