Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LA Rams lucky that sneaky Giants fell short in race for FA Leonard Floyd...

March 21, 2021 07:36AM
LA Rams lucky sneaky Giants fell short for FA OLB Leonard Floyd

[ramblinfan.com]

When the LA Rams defeated the New York Giants in 2020, I had three takeaways that were so burned into my brain, that I still recall that game. I recall thinking how that game was far closer than I felt it should have been. I recall thinking that either the Rams defense was elite, or the Giants’ offense was putrid. And I recall thinking that the Giants linebackers, and for that matter, their linebackers’ coaching staff, were at the top of their game.

Yes, the Rams won that game by a score of 17-9. It was the Rams’ second home game at empty SoFi Stadium, and it proved to be a defensive contest. QB Jared Goff completed plenty of short routes, 25 of 32 passing for 200 yards and a touchdown. But the Rams running game was non-existent, grinding out just 58 yards but did manage a two-yard touchdown from TE Gerald Everett.

Giants linebackers Blake Martinez, Kyler Fackrell, and Devante Downs were crisp and executed brilliantly on that Sunday afternoon. And they did so well enough to keep the Giants in the game until the closing minutes.

Rams’ free agency: OLB Leonard Floyd was targeted
But in the course of free agency, it seems that the Giants are not content with good. They want to be great, and they had their sights set on the player who could deliver that for their defense. None other than LA Rams OLB Leonard Floyd. Some said that the Rams overpaid for Floyd. Hmmm?

At the time of Leonard Floyd’s signing, the market price for Floyd had already been set by Tampa Bay Buccaneers and outside linebacker Shaquil Barrett on a four-year deal worth $68 million and guaranteeing $36 million for the ceiling, and by Ravens Matt Judon, who came off a year with six sacks and 50 tackles. He agreed to terms with the New England Patriots for a four-year deal worth $56 million and guaranteeing $32 million. Floyd landed at four-years and $64 million.

Some commenters were upset that the Rams spent so much to keep Floyd. Well, the reality is that he was just a tad more expensive than RFA Darious Williams, His cap hit for 2021 is just $5.5 million, a ridiculously small amount to bring back one of the defense’s lynchpin players.

More bang for the buck
I get it. The fact is that with few dollars there is always hope to squeeze a little bit more into that budget. But Floyd’s fit was so well suited for the Rams’ needs that it’s hard to envision anyone else picking up the role that quickly, that completely. And yet, Floyd did with minimal time in 2020.

That helps me to believe that Floyd will play even better in 2021. Yes, his 2020 season was his first ‘breakout’ year, but the forces leading up to last year’s season were very limiting. No preseason games, no physical OTA’s, a minimal training camp with NFL directed sessions. And after all that, Floyd went out and dominated on a new defense with a new scheme?

Measuring Floyd’s impact in 2020 comes down to this. The same defensive line, same defensive backs (plus S Jordan Fuller), and same linebacking group? The middle-of-the-pack defense suddenly led the NFL. Yes, some of that was the new scheme of DC Brandon Staley, but it was clear that Floyd was an enforcer on the outside of the Rams’ defense. And returning for his second year with the Rams should prove to be an even better year for him.

There were good reasons for the New York Giants to push hard to land Leonard Floyd in free agency. Thankfully, they fell short at that just as they had in the 2020 season matchup against the Rams.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

LA Rams lucky that sneaky Giants fell short in race for FA Leonard Floyd...

Rams43412March 21, 2021 07:36AM