Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Matthew Stafford: Staying with Rams long term ‘would be ideal’...

March 19, 2021 09:33AM
Matthew Stafford: Staying with Rams long term 'would be ideal'

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

Matthew Stafford has arrived in Los Angeles as the Rams’ new quarterback following a blockbuster offseason trade with the Lions. How long he’ll remain their starting quarterback is still to be determined, however.

At the moment, Stafford is only under contract with the Rams for two more seasons. After the 2022 campaign, he’ll become an unrestricted free agent. Given the cost of the trade, it’s highly unlikely the Rams gave up two first-round picks and a third-rounder – and paid $24.7 million in dead money – for only two seasons of Stafford.

It’s possible they will give him an extension before his contract ends in 2023 to prolong this partnership, which Stafford wouldn’t seem to mind. He was asked by J.B. Long whether the Rams are his next stop or his last stop, and it sounds like he wants to stay in L.A. for a while.

“Possibly the last. I’d love to make a long career here, play a bunch of years, have a ton of success as a team. That would be ideal for me,” he said. “I’ve moved my family once now, I would like to not have to do that again. I would love to be here and obviously that’s predicated on me playing at a high level and this team winning a bunch of football games, which is the plan. So hopefully we can get that going and make it happen.”

Stafford had spent his entire 12-year career with the Lions, so this is his first change of scenery. After the Lions’ season ended, he approached the team about wanting a trade and the Rams were on his shortlist of potential landing spots.

What appealed most about the Rams is their winning culture and recent success. Stafford said they’re “a proven winner” and hopes he can come in and elevate the play of everyone around him.

“They were definitely a team that I was really interested in,” Stafford said. “Obviously, past success — it’s a team that’s been extremely successful. Something I was looking for was the ability to step into a team that showed the ability to win and win right now. There’s a ton of great players here, a great coaching staff, an atmosphere of winning and something I’m excited to be a part of now.”

With Stafford under center, the Rams have all the makings of a legitimate Super Bowl contender – and the hope is that they won’t just contend next season, but in 2022 and beyond. Ideally, that will be with Stafford sticking around long term.

Stafford, 33, was asked how long he plans to play in the NFL, to which he said, “I don’t know.” But he did indicate that he doesn’t plan to retire anytime soon.

“I don’t see the end right around the corner, that’s for sure,” he said. “I want to keep playing for a while.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Matthew Stafford: Staying with Rams long term ‘would be ideal’...

Rams43178March 19, 2021 09:33AM