Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Elmgrovegnome with some encouraging observations about Stafford...

March 12, 2021 03:36PM
Here’s Elmgrovegnome...

I’m watching another Lions game. It was the first game of the year against the Bears.

Stafford had some great drives only to have them killed by Oline penalty or the inability to run it in the red zone. Two things that stand out. He stands tall in the pocket and delivers accurate passes with pass rushers all around him. He does not throw off his back foot. He has his feet set most of the time but when he doesn’t he does not throw floaters. The passes still have zip to them.

The other thing that stands out is that he uses every weapon on the field. He does not key on anyone and on any play you couldn’t predict who was getting the ball. So he is seeing the entire field and not reliant on a specific receiver to complete third down passes, even under pressure.

If he can do that then this offense should roll. Consider how few penalties the Rams had on offense and also that they were able to run the ball. Two things that held the Lions back.

The only bad thing I saw in two games that I watched is that Stafford doesn’t seem to start fast. By the second quarter he was money. McVay likes early leads. With Matt’s ability to stand tall in the pocket I worry that the Rams do not protect him well enough and he gets pummeled and injured. I hope they get a center to upgrade the interior.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Elmgrovegnome with some encouraging observations about Stafford...

Rams43370March 12, 2021 03:36PM

One thing about a QB that sprays the ball around to all his receivers without favorites...

Rams43180March 12, 2021 05:21PM