Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So, how should Rams play FA this Covid-cap offseason?

March 10, 2021 07:30AM
They might go in several different directions, but here’s what I would advise.

Restructure big time. Something Demoff hates to do, but this is a special one time circumstance. Cap has been drastically reduced but new TV contract promises fat cap increases in ‘22 and beyond. So, I’d maximally restructure AD, Ramsey, Stafford, and probably Woods.

Then I’d focus on bringing in best quality FA’s at 2 positions. Namely, C and Edge. A Center like Linsley would solve that position for at least 5 years. About the length of time we’ll probably have Stafford, btw. How valuable is that? This is a bold Whitworth type signing but look how well and for how long THAT worked out.

Edge could actually be extending Floyd, but more likely bringing in another hungry talent that wants to build his resume while playing with AD. He would be the 3rd consecutive such FA signing at Edge and it would be another win-win.

Those two signings should be Job 1 and Job 1a.

If possible, I would try to extend Fox. But that’s about it, I’m afraid.

Obviously, I would prefer to go bold on C and Edge rather than tippy toe around with a half dozen or more lesser signings. But that’s just me.

As to how to afford to do these 2 big signings? It would be possible IF the parties could agree to creative and probably back loaded contracts. Only practical because of anticipated cap increases due to the new TV contract.

The future is now so let’s don’t miss this rare opportunity.

The reason I felt this deserved it’s own thread was because of my recommended laser-like focus on just those 2 positions with an emphasis on top quality.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

So, how should Rams play FA this Covid-cap offseason?

Rams43376March 10, 2021 07:30AM

Re: So, how should Rams play FA this Covid-cap offseason?

dzrams137March 10, 2021 09:24AM

Re: So, how should Rams play FA this Covid-cap offseason?

Rams43139March 10, 2021 10:24AM

I wouldn't count on Linsley...

LMU93148March 10, 2021 09:55AM

Re: I wouldn't count on Linsley...

Rams43122March 10, 2021 10:33AM

dzrams142March 10, 2021 10:41AM

OzRam108March 10, 2021 11:24AM

dzrams97March 10, 2021 11:32AM