Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramsey doesn’t see any other CB’s doing what he does on a regular basis...

March 05, 2021 06:32AM
Jalen Ramsey doesn't see any other CBs doing what he does on a weekly basis

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

Jalen Ramsey earned his second first-team All-Pro selection last season after putting together a stellar campaign in the Rams secondary. His impact goes well beyond the box score, consistently locking down No. 1 receivers and forcing opposing quarterbacks to go elsewhere with the ball.

Looking back on his 2020 season, Ramsey would consider it his best year yet. It’s hard to argue with that fact, too. He allowed a career-low completion rate of 50.7%, gave up a passer rating of just 68.1 in coverage and shut down Pro Bowl receivers such as DK Metcalf, DeAndre Hopkins and Allen Robinson.

And as well as he played last season, he still sees a lot of room for improvement.

“I would put this up there as my best season yet,” Ramsey said on the “Huddle and Flow” podcast. “I have a lot of improvements to make still, especially if I’m going to continue playing inside, outside, moving around and playing different positions a little bit more – things I had never done in the past. And that just came to show you how much the Rams value me and how much they knew what type of player I was and wanted to use all of my skill sets and not just pigeonhole me with one specific thing or certain coverages.”

Ramsey became a different type of cornerback last season than he was in previous years. He played the nickel (or “star) role more often than he ever has, he blitzed off the edge at times and consistently matched up with No. 1 receivers.

When he looks around the league, he doesn’t see any other cornerbacks doing what he does on a weekly basis. He knows there are versatile corners out there, but none that is blanketing No. 1 receivers one week and making big plays from the slot the next.

“I’m a football fan so I look at a lot of football as well, but I’m not seeing guys go out one week and guard the No. 1 receiver on the team, who was probably a Pro Bowl receiver or an All-Pro receiver and essentially lock him down, and the next week go play nickel and make plays in the backfield or on the edges and not even really guard the No. 1 receiver that game,” Ramsey said. “I’m not seeing too many guys do that and still make an effect on the game. I’m not really seeing any guys do that, if I’m being honest with you. And there are other versatile guys in the league. I’m not saying there isn’t any other versatile guys in the league. But there isn’t really anybody in the league who’s guarding a No. 1 receiver, locking him down like I am, and then playing the nickel and making an impact on the game as I am. And within all of that, as well, kind of elevating my teammates around me, elevating the secondary guys around me, making sure they’re ready to take advantage of their opportunities when their opportunities present themselves just because at a certain point in games and the season, teams will avoid me.”

Ramsey is just getting started with the Rams and if he plays the way he did last season, he’ll be an All-Pro again in 2021. He’ll be playing under a new defensive coordinator, however, after Brandon Staley left to become the Chargers’ head coach. He’s excited about Raheem Morris, but Staley is someone Ramsey once again called “a genius.”

Morris has said he just doesn’t want to screw up the way Ramsey and Aaron Donald are playing, so expect to see much of the same from both players next season.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Ramsey doesn’t see any other CB’s doing what he does on a regular basis...

Rams43186March 05, 2021 06:32AM