Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GOFF & BRADY - BLITZES & PRESSURE STATS by a1

November 23, 2020 12:44PM
Seeing some misleading stats about Goff. Here are some more to put it in perspective WITHOUT the "anti-Goff" agenda. This is from a1 on another board. Take a look...

Here's a1...

goff and brady have faced roughly the same amount of pressure headed into week 11, or better put, neither has faced a lot of pressure this season.

goff ranks 29th in pressure faced, i.e. only 3 guys have been pressured less, while brady ranks 26th - the thing is, goff has quelled pressure by throwing short, he ranks 26th in depth of completed pass and 23rd in depth of intended pass (average depth of both completed and incomplete passes)... but that's not the case with brady, he ranks low in pressure faced despite throwing downfield, he's 10th in depth of completed pass and 6th in intended depth of pass.

speaking of which, the 5 guys who rank lowest in pressure faced, roethlisberger 28th, goff 29th, rodgers 30th, brees 31st and rivers 32nd also happen to rank 24th, 30th, 26th, 21st, 29th and 27th respectively in depth of completed pass, go figure.

interestingly tho, goff is the 9th highest blitzed guy headed into weak 11 whereas only 3 qualifying qbs have been blitzed less than brady - on average qbs are blitzed on 29.3% of their dropbacks, but goff has been blitzed 32.8% of the time while brady has been blitzed just 21.9% of the time.

fortunately for goff and the rams tho, blitzes don't always = pressure, especially when you get rid of the ball quickly and short.

knd = knockdowns, dpth = average depth of completed pass, idpth = average depth of intended pass, both completions and incompletions:

here's a look at how often goff and brady have faced blitzes and pressure in each game this season, and how they fared against it, ranked high to low...

goff has been blitzed more than the league average in 5 of the 9 games he's played, brady in just 2 of the 10 games he's played... goff has also faced more than the league average in pressure in just 2 of the 9 games he's played, brady in 3 of the 10 games he's played.

looking at the numbers i'm hard-pressed to see much of a correlation between blitzes / pressure and success or failure, both guys have had solid outings and less than solid outings regardless of the blitzes and pressure faced.

i guess you could argue that if you dialed up pressure on 37%+ of brady's dropbacks you could ruin his day, like the saints did against him, but brady also faced 27% pressure against the panthers, which is well above the league average, and hung 47 offensive points on them while booking a 124 qb rating.

looking at goff, in the 3 games he was pressured most, he booked qb ratings of 103.1, 142.1 and 111.6.

clearly pressure has an impact on qb play, but i think it can be safely argued that the impact is much greater on a per play basis than it is on the overall qb play in the game - in other words, this year goff (and other qbs) might not be faring well on pass plays that they're pressured on, but that doesn't mean they don't fare well in a game when they're pressured a lot, which no doubt has a lot to do with clean pockets outweighing pressure pockets 4 to 1 on average.

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

GOFF & BRADY - BLITZES & PRESSURE STATS by a1 Attachments

Ramsdude227November 23, 2020 12:44PM

The question is why is Goff getting pressured more than other QBs?

max87November 23, 2020 12:51PM