Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - October 7, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell, and DL Aaron Donald

November 12, 2020 01:45PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts -
October 7, 2020
Head Coach Sean McVay, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell, and
DL Aaron Donald
Head Coach Sean McVay
(On if RB Darrell Henderson Jr. will play on Sunday)
"Yeah, he’s going to be able to play. He's practicing today. He was a little bit banged up, but the big man is feeling good. He'll be ready to go. So, unless there's something that happens between (now and) game time, do not expect him to miss and expect him to be a big part of what we're doing on Sunday.

(On if he was being smart and cautious by holding him out of practice)
Exactly. Yeah. He is a little sore from the pounding that he took in the Dolphins game, but it was being smart. Kind of like I mentioned yesterday, today is where we really get our heaviest workday, if you will. This is the important one. Every day is important, but today for the physical work, and he'll be able to get that today.”

(On TE Tyler Higbee’s limited performance to this point in the season)
“He's played really well. The opportunities were limited, especially when you talk about, he's a warrior just pushing through to play with that hand. It looked like he's wearing like a Robocop contraption that makes it a little bit more difficult to control the ball, let alone block some of these elite defenders that he's having to handle. So, I think that's more why if you're just talking about strictly the numbers, he's played at a high level. He’s maximized all of his opportunities and as he continues to get healthier and is feeling good, you're going to see it be more reflected in what he's done more consistently over the last handful of games that you see that production in really both phases. He's done a nice job with what he can control. I think the injury is the only reason that the numbers don't appear with the kind of the production he had at the end of the year, if you will, and the early parts of the season, like with the Philly game where he had three touchdowns.”

(On how important the Higbee’s production is for the offense considering the skillsets of TE Gerald Everett and Johnny Mundt)
“I think it was very important. But those two just mentioned, I think it's important to have good production from that tight end spot and to be able to have some different guys. We're in a good situation, where we've got a lot of different skill players that we feel comfortable with the ball in their hands and they can make things happen. But I think especially going back to last year, the rapport that exists between (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) and (TE) Tyler (Higbee) is definitely apparent. All Tyler has done when he's got more opportunities is deliver on those things. His confidence has grown as has our confidence in him. I think he's really developed himself into one of the more complete tight ends in this league. When he's healthy and when that hand isn't restricted, I think you'll see that reflected in his play and production.”

(On how WR Cooper Kupp came through in practice)
“Yeah. So, we have practice after this, he did the walk-thru yesterday. He's got a couple of different things that are banged up. I mentioned wrist and the oblique. He's got a couple things that limited him from yesterday. We're expecting him to practice today. Don't expect it to be anything that keeps him out on Sunday. But the oblique is what was listed on the injury report. He did have his wrist a little bit banged up and the guy took about a beating and it was good the bye came at a right time for him. Today, he'll practice and feel good about him being a big contributor as Darrell, like we talked about earlier in this call, on Sunday.”

(On whether OL David Edwards will practice)
“He is. (OL Andrew) Whitworth, just after the walk-thru, his back tightened up a little bit. So, we'll be smart with the big fella. Then (OLcool smiley Leonard Floyd at some soreness in his knee. We'll be smart with those two players, guys that haven't been necessarily on the injury report, but you'll see them show up, where they won't practice today and veteran players like that, you don't minimize the importance of practice, but those are two guys that you at least feel like, ‘Hey, let’s most importantly get them to game healthy and ready to go and feeling as fresh as possible with the experience they've accumulated.’”

(On whether the players have a sense of urgency toward the second half of the season)
“Yeah, I think so. I think you see a sense of urgency about the opportunity to attack the second half of the season. Any time you come off of a break, I think guys are rejuvenated and recharged and ready to go. I think our bye came at the right time. You hated that it came after a performance like what we had but can't control that now. No matter who you play, it's our ninth game. We are consistent in how we approach that, but we do have some familiarity with the opponent and we know what a great challenge it will be because of playing these guys twice a year and (Head) Coach (Pete) Carroll and their players, they do as good of a job as anybody. I'm looking forward to the challenge and I know our players feel the same way.”

(On how much was learned from Buffalo’s approach last week against QB Russell Wilson)
“I think you take each game, there's eight games of inventory to be able to evaluate him. He's played pretty damn good in all eight of those. I think Buffalo did it a couple of nice things. I think some of the numbers aren't necessarily reflective. You look at one of those interceptions he had was a fourth-down, where he was smart being able to give them a chance knowing that an incompletion does nothing here. That's where one of those interceptions up where that's a smart, aware play on his part, but it doesn't look good on the stats. Buffalo is a very good defense. They did some nice things. They made some of their plays too. I just remember like what I mentioned earlier this week, watching how quickly they can strike. This guy is as resilient of a competitor as I've ever seen. He’s playing at such a high level. He's got great skill around him and (Seahawks Offensive Coordinator) Coach (Brian) Schottenheimer has done a phenomenal job of really stressing defenses that they've played and that's why they're one of the top offenses in the league. It's going to be something that every game provides an opportunity to learn from. I don't necessarily know if it makes you feel like, ‘Oh, we figured something out.’ It's what a great challenge it's going to be. All eight of the games that they've played are something that we've got to use as an evaluation and an opportunity to put together the best plan for our players and go get it done on Sunday.”

(On if he saw the play where Seahawks WR DK Metcalf chased down Cardinals S Budda Baker)
“If I said, no, I should be fired (laughs). I saw it live and I thought to myself, ‘HOLY…!’ (laughs). I mean, that's one of the greatest effort plays I've ever seen because (Cardinals S) Buddha Baker was rolling. Then for them to actually get a stop and have no points come from that is even what made it more special. But yes, I was watching that live, seeing it unfold. It was about as exciting of a play, in terms of just, if you love football, watching that effort and what he displayed. But it was a great play by Buddha Baker as well. I mean, I think just a high-level caliber play. There's been a couple of those guys that you tracked down. I can remember when (Falcons WR) Julio (Jones) tracked down (Lcool smiley Kwon Alexander from the Bucs a couple of years ago, it was about as impressive and, that's one of the more impressive plays you'll ever see in terms of the effort displayed by (Seahawks WR) DK Metcalf. This guy has been balling and I've been so impressed with the maturity and the way that he's taken his game, where he was really productive as a rookie and what he's doing to develop himself into a complete receiver that's explosive and can make plays. If he's winning iso’s (isolations) and he's doing it against great players, some of the best corners in this league. It's not like he's just feasting on some guys that you don't really know. He's done it and he's produced against some of the guys that are perennial All-Pros, which is where you say, ‘This dude is the real deal and it's going to be a great challenge.’ Then we all know what a great player (Seahawks WR Tyler) Lockett is. He is just is one of those guys that just consistently makes plays. I mean, that touchdown that he made against us last year, I'm thinking no way his feet were in. By God he and Russell Wilson found a way. He did that get two feet down, didn't he? They're great players and DK. I did see that play.”

Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell
(On QB Jared Goff's performance in Week 8)
"I'm sure between (Head) coach (Sean McVay) and (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) and some of the other guys, I'm sure they've touched on it. For us, I think just offensively, I think it's just a matter of understanding the things that we could fix and the details in which we practice things and making sure that not only our quarterback, but everybody has a great plan and the ability to feel kind of poised and relaxed under pressure, whether it's all-out pressure, whether it's five, six-man pressure, whether teams are dropping eight in coverage, you know. No matter what defenses do, we want to have our guys prepared and have a plan to execute at a really high level and that's the expectation, no matter what. So obviously, we didn't play up to our standard, and I think we've used not only the Bye Week and this time preparing for a really good football team in Seattle to make sure our guys are ready to go."

(On what he emphasized in practice after looking back at tape from Miami)
"It's just the understanding of the different types of looks, that not all zero pressures are the same, the timing, or the lack thereof of, some variations of the pressures versus others. So, you spend time schematically making sure that you're checking those boxes. Then as far as practice goes, understanding that sometimes you're going to have to speed things up. Sometimes you're going to have to make some throws maybe a little bit earlier than you would via the normal rhythm of plays that he's run many, many times. Then lastly, just understanding what our plan of attacks going to be, so that we can try to take those snaps where the defense is certainly being aggressive and trying to force a play and turn it into a positive for us as an offense. So, I think it's a lot. There's much more than two or three things that go into it, but you do like to simplify a message and make sure that you're going back and figuring out the things you personally, me personally, I mean, can do better, not only with him, but our whole group."

(On the whole offense being in unison)
"I think for the most part, our offense is one in which, we preach a lot about, it takes all 11 to run the football, to throw the football, to execute consistently. So that carries over obviously when things don't go well. I think a lot of our guys would say that, but I also think Jared, and I know myself personally, that you immediately go back and self-reflect on the things you could do better and I know Jared and I have talked a lot about him individually, as well as our group, making sure that we're ready to go the rest of the way."

(On relating to the pressures of a quarterback and the feeling of making mistakes taking a toll on the game)
"I think it can feel like that sometimes in the moment. I think at times that can be definitely the feeling you get. I will say, you go back and watch it and most of the time this happens, and it's much easier with a clicker in your hand, sitting at your desk in the air-conditioned office. But when you go back and look at it, you can see very small details in this game, when you're playing against so many talented teams that are so well coached defensively, it comes down to little, little details sometimes that we really pride ourselves on making sure our guys are prepared for, I think they would say the same thing as players. But yeah, it can feel like that sometimes and that's where leadership and poise and some of those intangibles that we feel really strongly about – not only our quarterback, but our whole group. I feel like it'll be a thing we can obviously circle back on and remember that and improve, but at the same time, trust and rely on the fact that the guys we have in that huddle and we don't blink."

DL Aaron Donald
(On if he is looking forward to facing Seattle QB Russell Wilson)
“Well, it's always a hard-fought game when we play Seattle. So, I'm just ready for this week.”

(On what challenges does he see playing against Wilson)
“Well, it's always a challenge when you're playing against a great quarterback like him that can do so much – make so many things happen with his arm, with his feet. So, he's definitely a special type of player. He makes our job a lot harder, but we just have to try to do our job as far as upfront to put pressure on him, make him uncomfortable, get to him so that he won’t have the opportunity to have the day that he wants.”

(On if there been times where he’s almost sacked Wilson but he gets away)
“It’s happened multiple times over my career, just playing against him. There are times where I had him wrapped up and he still found a way to get the ball away. So, it made my job harder, but we are definitely prepared and ready for that challenge this week.”

(On if the challenge Wilson presents makes it more fun)
“Well, it is fun just because it's football. You get to go out there and play a divisional game, a big game that we need this week, for sure. So you know, we're going to come to play.”

(On if Wilson talks on the field)
“I don't really hear him talk too much, not to us. I know he communicates with his guys, but he’s just what you see.”

(On the clip of Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa trying to say hi to him and if he typically speaks to opposing QBs)
“I don't remember that. I really don't remember him even saying anything. You typically don't get that anyway.”

(On if Wilson throwing the ball more will give him more opportunities to rush the passer)
“You never know what they're going to do against us. Our mindset is – you watch film, you set a game plan of what you see, what you expect is going to come. I'm pretty sure they're going to throw things at us that we didn't even see on film or they didn't do this year, so we're expecting that. As far as when we get the opportunities to rush the passer, we just have to make it count. We have to, like I said, put pressure on him, try to sack him, hit him as much as we can, so he's not comfortable back there and try to make his day harder than what it was supposed to be.”

(On the next five of the eight remaining games being divisional)
“It starts this week, you know, it definitely starts this week. We are worried about this week right now. We know what we have to do. We're prepared. We're ready. We’re fresh. Everybody is healthy. So, it's going to be a good day for us.”

(On his thoughts about the defense’s progress and how they can continue to improve)
“We have just been getting better. I've been more proud of just how consistent we've been playing the last couple of weeks, because obviously we're a good team, a good defensive, but there were weeks where we had a great week and then we came back and it was kind of okay. But the past couple of weeks, we've been consistent playing. So, we just have to keep that up, keep feeding off of that, keep pushing each other, feeding off each other's energy and continuing to dominate. So, I've been proud of that and we just have to keep that up.”

(On Wilson being one ranking ahead of him in last year’s NFL Top 100 Rankings)
“Honestly, I don't even look at that. That's what you did last year, your last year’s success. So, we’re just more focused on this year, what we have to do this year to win games, be productive and continue to consistently productive to help your team to win. So, I didn't even think about that at all. We just know what we need to do this week to play against a good team that's coming in.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - October 7, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell, and DL Aaron Donald

Shaky300November 12, 2020 01:45PM