Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - October 9, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay and Special Teams Coordinator John Bonamego

October 09, 2020 01:31PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts -
October 9, 2020
Head Coach Sean McVay and Special Teams Coordinator John Bonamego

Head Coach Sean McVay

(On injury updates)
"So, (ILcool smiley Micah (Kiser) was limited today. He'll be questionable for the game. We'll wait up until then to be able to make a decision. (Ccool smiley Troy Hill had a little ankle during the week, but he'll be questionable for the game, but I would be surprised if he didn't play. And then (OL) Bobby Evans will be out for the game with his shoulder."

(On the media not seeing DL Michael Brockers out at practice)
"Yeah, we gave him a veteran rest day."

(On Brockers not taking many veteran rest days and if that is because he personally doesn’t want to take them and how it appears that he just appears to grind throughout the week as a result)
"Yeah, you're exactly right. I mean, even to give him today, we almost had to, kind of, make the decision for him, because he's just one of those guys that he wants to get out there, he wants to work, he wants to get better with his teammates. It is a real credit to who he is as a (inaudible) to just come out with a consistency, a focus every single day, to just really continue to perfect his craft. But I think it's also a credit to how well he's taking care of himself. When you look at the longevity of his career for him to be able to be one of those guys, in a lot of instances, those decisions are made because guys kind of just accumulate some wear and tear on their body. But for a guy that's played as many snaps as he has to be in this situation, I think is a credit to being blessed with good genetics, but then also taking great care of himself."

(On transitioning from playing the NFC East to the NFC West and if there has been any extra challenge preparing for the NFC East games in comparison to the divisional opponents)
"I think it's a little bit different, because there's still inter-conference play. It just happens to be against all the same division with the cross division that we play. It really doesn't change anything. It's our fifth game and so we're trying to get our fourth win. It is typically different to be able to just knock out that whole NFC East for four out of your first five games, but let's see if we can go sweep the division this week."

(On if there will be a different tone next week facing a divisional team)
"No, I don't think so. These games are all extremely important. Our sole focus and concentration is on getting ready for the Washington Football Team and we're a little less than 48 hours out now."

(On if the team is staying with the same travel schedule, departing on Saturday and return Sunday)
"We will. Yep. We feel like that's worked out pretty well for us and our guys are feeling good. I think to just be able to have that extra day where they're staying at their homes, sleeping in their beds, has been something that we've tried to keep as similar of a rhythm as possible and guys have liked that."

(On if giving the players an extra day to stay at home is helping with all the COVID-19 protocols)
"I think so. I'm not saying that this is the best way to do it. We feel like it's the best way for us. I know there's some teams that have explored some other options, but given the fact that we've already had two cross-country trips, this'll be a great opportunity for us to get our third one in a short amount of time, so you feel like you're experienced in this."

(On if he has found himself able to maintain overseeing the whole team rather than just focusing on offense)
“I feel good about the confidence and the trust that I have in all of our coaches to be able to step back whether it's from the offense, defense, or special teams. So, that's been a positive. The goal is to be as present as you can with the team. I'm always going to be naturally inclined to spend more time with the offense because you're the play-caller. You know, as soon as I stop doing that, then I think that's where that stuff falls by the wayside. So it has been good, but what's also been reflected in these first few weeks, is that man, am I blessed to be around such great coaches that when I'm not there, I have total trust and confidence that things are getting communicated and things are being done at a really high level, whether that be on offense, defense, or special teams and so far so good.”

(On how S John Johnson III has performed this season and what went into the decision to make him the defensive signal caller)
“I think you guys have seen, he's been great. He's so intelligent. He has such great natural football instincts. I think his calm demeanor rubs off on the rest of the guys. You guys hear me talk about a lot (Qcool smiley Jared’s (Goff) calm demeanor and disposition and how that resonates with the other ten in offense. Well, I think very similar to what we're doing defensively. He's a guy that he plays in all of our personnel groupings, so it ends up being a natural fit. We had some experience where (Former S Eric) Weddell had the mic last year. So when you have those safeties that have that high football capacity and great command over everything that's going on, it's not the norm, but (S) John Johnson (III) is kind of an outlier in terms of his versatility as a player. And then just his above the neck awareness and overall intelligence to be able to get the things communicated that we need to.”

(On if he anticipates any roster moves for Sunday)
“I do anticipate being able to get (Lcool smiley Terrell Lewis up tomorrow to the active roster. As far as what that means for somebody else, we'll determine that tomorrow. But we will have Terrell Lewis active this week.”

(On evaluating Lewis since coming back to practice and what he has shown)
“He’s shown that he's more than capable of being able to compete at that outside rusher position for us, whether it be in some of our sub packages or in our base defense. I think he's just kind of had steady improvement. You know, the difference now, they're so limited, where you're truly able to go full speed and really push it. But we do feel like he's in a good place based on his individual drill work progressions, what he's done in some of these team periods and how good our defensive coaches and (Outside Linebackers Coach) Chris Shula feel about him. So, that's why we'll be able to get him up. And then I think the ultimate evaluation and tool for us will be to see how he performs on gameday.”

Special Teams Coordinator John Bonamego

(On the learning curve for a wide receiver playing on special teams)
“Really the learning curve is how dependable do they catch the ball and they feel the ball? That's really the number one thing. With (WR) Cooper (Kupp), it gives you somebody that's a trustworthy player. You trust their decision making back there. We're on the field as a return unit because the defense did their job. So, the number one goal, number one thing to accomplish is to ensure that the next snap is either a play on offense or us kicking an extra point. So, those are the number one concerns, the number one things that you evaluate. In terms of getting in the flow as a returner, which is probably what more you're alluding to, I think that comes from practice. It comes with reps in the game. (Detroit Lions WR Danny) Amendola was very accomplished as a returner in college, as well as throughout his career. So that one was easy. I think Cooper has done it in the past, but he's done a really good job of kind of learning on the run.”

(On how K Samuel Sloman is doing so far)
“He's doing well. He’s a rookie, so he's progressing. There's a lot of room for growth with him. I think that's one of the things that I like the best about him is his mental resilience. He really bounces back. He's a quick study in terms of, he really understands his technique and what works and what doesn't. So, he's able to self-correct, which is, for a young player, that’s something that's pretty rare. Usually it takes those guys several years to learn that, which is why very few of them stick with their first opportunities. A lot of those guys tend to bounce around a little bit before they finally settle in. But again, he's still developing, he's on an ascending path.”

(On how Sloman reacted to having to attempt a 53-yard field goal)
“He just kind of was disappointed in himself that he missed it. Kind of misplayed the wind there in Buffalo. You have a swirling wind there and you never want to start the ball outside the upright. I thought when he hit it, that it looked really good. It looked like it was tracking true and then at the very end, it just tailed off a little bit. So, he's got the leg to get it there, it's never the question. I think when you look across the league, 50-yard field goals, they’re not a high percentage play. When you really look at the amount of field position that you're giving up, if you don't make the kick, I think that's really what kind of what (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) is alluding to. Not so much that we don't have confidence that he can get it there. He can certainly get it there. It's just a matter of the consequences of not making it.”

(On what goes into setting up the field goal blocking units and what type of personnel does he like to use)
“Well, field-goal block is primarily defensive players. We want to get at least four defensive linemen in the game. The game planning is just like every other phase and not much different than offensively or defensively. We're looking at the personnel on the field goal unit, examining, or really taking a close look at their technique. Looking at the snapper, his mannerisms, if there's any tips there, where does the ball come out from the kicker? Is it in the A gap area, B gap area, how much elevation does he get? So, you're really looking at everything across the board. Then like anything else, you're going to try to gang up on where you think that might be weaknesses by either knocking people back or trying to get people on different levels. There's always an edge rush element, or at least the illusion of that, because you want that, you want them to have to defend everything, whether you're coming or not. I think just like any good defense, I think you mix it up. I think you give different rushes from the same look, to try to use movement to try to get people off kilter and get people on different levels.”

(On if he tries to get a lot of height from taller defensive linemen)
“Yes, you've got (DL Michael) Brokers inside. That's one of the reasons he's on there, he's one of our taller guys. Plus, he's a strong, quick get-off guy, but definitely the taller you are inside, it definitely helps.”

(On his biggest fear when kicking a field-goal and preventing it from being blocked)
“I think probably low kicks are the number one culprit. Then for the field goal team, there's a lot that goes on, but it's a tough unit to be on and when you know you're just going to just have to take it. So, just being disciplined in there, staying low, not getting top heavy, not getting too tall to get knocked back just really, being very detailed in our technique and our alignment. Then obviously, the operation time, the snap hold, the kick is a big factor in that.”

(On Assistant Special Teams Coach Tory Woodbury)
“(Assistant Special Teams Coach) Tory (Woodbury) is doing a good job as my assistant. We kind of break up a lot of the responsibilities within the game plan. With his scouting background, that does come in very valuable to me. Having him look at the players and write up how he sees them in terms of their strengths and weaknesses, that's something that we've always done. It's a matchup game. You want to try to at least eliminate their better players and try to get your better players on their guys that aren't as good. He has been very valuable with that, giving input. We also break up the different units – so, like for punt team, he'll have the gunners, I'll keep the interior core. We go punt return, he grabs the jammers, the outside guys, and I've got the inside guys. With the kickoff return, he stays with the back backend and I've got the front end. It's important to be able to work together and get along. I mean, it's a two-man staff, so there's not anyone else to bounce ideas off of. You have to work together. We're in it together and joined at the hip.”

(On being older on a relatively younger coaching staff)
“Be careful now (laughs). I think I'm the oldest. Let's just say it. I think I am. I'm not sure. I just come to work every day with my lunch pail. I don't feel my age. I feel like I can relate with everybody in the building and we all work together. Everybody gets along and it's just football. Age is a number. I think your attitude and energy that you bring to whatever it is that you do on a daily basis, I think that defines you a lot more than a number would. I feel good. I felt great, in August I celebrated, officially, five years out cancer-free. I've never felt better. I love the weather here in California. I mean, what's there not to like? I love working with (Head Coach) Sean McVay, because of the energy and his outlook, his positivity and the characteristics of the kingdom emanate from the king. He's surrounded himself with people that have the same type of mindset. So, I really don't think about that stuff. I guess I feel like I've still got more than a few in me. I've got a daughter that just turned 16, so, I'm going to be coaching for a little bit.”

(On having the coolest car of the coaching staff)
“Yeah, thank you. I appreciate that.”

(On how long he has been driving his car)
“About two years. There was one of those things that you've always wanted and finally broke down and got it. I had my eye on three of them for quite a while. Went and saw and bought it without my wife, which was kind of dicey there a little bit in the beginning because I got the old, ‘Well, it's your money, do what you want to do.’ But, once she saw it, I think she loves it more than I do. So, it's just a fun, little toy, little hobby.”

(On what kind of car it is)
“It’s a ’74 Gran Torino GT.”

(On the level of special teams play increasing as the weeks have gone on)
“You do see that. I think that's a very good valid point, especially this year with no preseason games and you've got young players out there. I mean, there's a lot of things that we do that, you know, quite frankly, it's next to impossible to simulate. You cannot simulate the speed and the violence and intensity of covering a kickoff in practice. You just don't see that. Without the benefit of preseason games to kind of really give some guys some, some dry runs, where at least it matters, but it doesn't count. It's a tough task. The one thing I could say is that we're all in the same boat, everybody's the same way, but you got players like (OLcool smiley Jachai Polite on kickoff. I think the first kickoff he ever covered in his life was in the Dallas game, you know, in a game. You're kind of seeing that across the board, that generally happens in the league the first couple of weeks anyways, even when you do have preseason and then things tend to settle down. Then for whatever reason, I think they spike up at the end of the year because of injuries. Then again, you have another influx of young players playing for the first time. It's a process and you just really hone in on the things that you believe in, that you hang your hat on, that you know are important and you continue to emphasize those. Show them as much film, get them in as many scenarios as possible, then on game day, just kind of let them play. But really the game reps are the greatest teaching tool. On kickoff, in particular now, with the ball at the 35 (-yard line), I mean, you see a lot of teams that just are taking the touchback where we'll do some of that, but I really want our guys to cover kicks. I've explained this to them and Coach McVay backs us and buys into it. If you stay on track and you keep doing the things that you want to do as a football team, you're going to be playing late in the year and there are going to be teams that are going to be in situations where they don't have any choice, because of the weather and the elements that they have to be able to cover, but they've been kicking touchbacks all year long. And so, now they don't know how to cover. We want to cover kicks. I want to give guys a chance to make plays. It's an opportunity to get a takeaway, cause a turnover. And again, keep developing those guys that are playing on that unit.”

(On the value of special teams in developing fundamentals)
“I think that that's typical for lot of young players, very few of them come in and garner a prominent role offensively or defensively, where they're not involved on special teams. I've always gone by the adage of, if we can't trust you to play on special teams, how can we trust you to play on offense and defense? Because my playbook is about this thick and Sean McVay’s, it's this thick, you know what I mean? So it's more about the fundamentals and the technique and really attitude. But I do think that if players invest themselves and if they're really paying attention, they learn a lot about the game, because there's a lot of transfer, a lot of correlation. We try to use the similar language as much as possible. Because again, you're trying to teach concepts that apply to offense and defense.”

(On having RB Raymond Calais as the kick returner and what prompted the switch)
“Well, (RB Raymond Calais) Ray was active, and so we wanted to get him back there. It's one of the reasons we brought him in, and it's not a slight on (WR) Nsimba (Webster) whatsoever. Nsimba does a great job in everything we asked them to do. But Ray Calais has got some rare traits, one of them being his straight-line speed, he's a very, very explosive athlete. If I’m not mistaken, I think he had the third fastest time at the combine of all positions. So that's significant. He's a guy that in college, did it at a high level, scored touchdowns, had a touchdown in one of the all-star games, whichever one he played in. So, he definitely has a homerun-threat ability. He's got contact-balance and he broke a tackle - one of the Giants players was in position to make the tackle probably around the 20, 25-yard line. But he ran through it and never broke stride and really kind of accelerated from there and probably was if not just a fraction of a second, it might've been one that had gone all the way. So, we're excited about him. We'll keep working to develop him. But the one thing about with his role and where he is at fifth running back, it's not a guarantee every week that we're going to be able to have him active.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - October 9, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay and Special Teams Coordinator John Bonamego

Shaky432October 09, 2020 01:31PM

Re: Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - October 9, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay and Special Teams Coordinator John Bonamego

DallasRam178October 09, 2020 02:10PM

obviously looking forward to seeing Lewis

21Dog211October 09, 2020 02:38PM

Re: obviously looking forward to seeing Lewis

Steve168October 10, 2020 05:09AM

Wonder when he'll join the RB rotation?

RockRam180October 10, 2020 05:18AM