Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Golden Age for the Rams?

September 25, 2020 07:41AM
The Rams have had several nice little "Golden Ages" since I started following them in the late 1960s. There was the entire 1967 season, which peaked with huge victories over the Packers and Colts to finish 11-1-2. Then there was 1969, when they started out 11-0, Roman Gabriel was the MVP, and the Fearsome Foursome was still in its prime. The 1973 season got off to a magical start with gorgeous new uniforms, John Hadl, Harold Jackson, Lawrence McCutcheon, and a sweet 37-31 win over the Cowboys. That season began an extended, often Golden, era of consecutive division titles, which culminated in the Super Bowl run late in the 1979 season (highlighted by the exciting win over the Cowboys in Roger Staubach's final game). The Rams never had a really strong team in the 1980s, but the early part of the 1983 season was magical with the coming of Eric Dickerson. The Rams also had good moments in 1984 with Dickerson breaking the record and the division title in 1985. The Rams had a great run at the end of the 1989 season. Then came the Golden Age of 1999 through 2001. Winning the Super Bowl was the peak, but the crest of that run may have occurred during a 6-0 run to start the 2000 season that included a 57-31 win over the Chargers. It wasn't until 2017 that the Rams entered a new Golden Age. They were the best team in football that season, but they blew it by taking their foot off the gas pedal at the end of the regular season. The 2018 team made it to the Super Bowl, but I consider the 2017 team to be the better of the two. Last season was a letdown, but 2020 is looking like it could be another Golden Age. The Rams appear to my eye to be the best team right now. They have a spectacular new stadium, and suddenly the memories of the Rams being somewhat of a step-child of an NFL franchise during certain periods has become a distant memory. The new uniforms look great. The helmets are a kind of electric blue that is stunning under the sun. Goff is more experienced and looks better than ever. The running game has been strong. McVay has made the adjustments that he desperately needed to make. Higbee may now be the best TE in football. I love the rookies and the new starters. Like many of you, I don't have a good feeling about the kicker. Maybe they ought to bring back one of the other kickers at least for re-evaluation. You don't want to have a great team go down in flames because of a poor kicker. It's only two games. It could all fall apart in Buffalo, but this Rams team appears to have lots of strengths on both sides of the ball.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Golden Age for the Rams?

L.A.Rams417September 25, 2020 07:41AM

Re: Golden Age for the Rams?

Killrazor230September 25, 2020 09:17AM