Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Three encouraging posts about Boom at LG by DR RAM...

August 28, 2020 02:51PM
First post by DR RAM...

I rewatched the first game of last season, sole focus on Joseph Noteboom at LG. I came away very encouraged. I studied this on all 22 coaches film, and watched every offensive play, at least 3 times from every angle. I used to do play by play reports. I didn’t do that. I am just going to do more of a scouting report.

Best:

- Very fluid player, and his athleticism jumps out at you.
- Smooth footwork, utilizes quick choppy steps.
- Didn’t miss one assignment.
- Easily performs combo blocks on running plays. Maybe our best OL at that.
- Very adept at Slip, and zone blocks.
- Hands, and hand placement are very good.

Worst:

- Dropped head on initial pass blocks, lost balance.
- Leverage issues at times, too upright in his stance.
- Lacks hard punch, lacks hard finish.
- Inconsistent re-anchor.

Summary:

Noteboom is a very athletic player, and appeared to have a very fast learning curve in game. Most of the negatives from the worst list, disappeared after the first series. He stopped dropping his head, he anchored better, and he ended up with 3 pancakes.

Noteboom didn’t miss one assignment, and there were only two plays which resulted in negative plays, one of which he was covered, blocked his assignment, and then another DL came in full speed and engaged him. Goff still got the ball off, neither player got past Boom.

He had several key blocks in the game, including a couple GL plays, and Gurley’s longest runs in the game. In the run game Noteboom performed several combo blocks, including key on GL TD. Noteboom made Key 2 pulling kick out blocks during the game, sparking big runs.

Noteboom gets downfield easily, but he needs to break down better to engage smaller players (this is hard to do). He was still able to get pieces of players. If he had a more explosive punch, he would have had more pancakes downfield, as he had opportunities.

He is very alert in passing game, with his head on a swivel, very willing, and often helped when uncovered. He left his zone to help, a little early on one play, allowing a delayed blitzer to get late pressure. Didn’t see him do that again, he appears to be very coachable.

Grade for game B+, or 91, or 4.5 out of 5.

In this one game, I came away very encouraged. No missed assignments, major adjustments during the game, several key blocks. The one thing really missing for me was a lack of assertiveness, but as the game went on, he showed more and more of that.

I’m interested in reviewing game 2.

Second post by DR RAM...

Just studied the 2nd game, and in the 1st half, And in 35 offensive plays, he only had 5 negative or zero impact plays. Of his 3 negative plays, the first one, he got bulled and walked back, his first play on a covered pass. He gave up a pressure.

His next neg play came on the first play in 2Q, 2nd series. He was covered, it was a stretch play, his side, he needed longer sustainment, his Man got his hand up toward his face.

The only other neg play was on the final series in 2Q., and it was a carbon copy of his last neg play, same play, same outcome, and his man had a hand near his face. He doesn’t seem to like that.

Now, the zero plays, are that they have no impact, not even a fake sell. Usually opposite side, or no opposition on the play.

That leaves 30 plus plays, it means he did his job, didn’t give up a sack, pressure, or a miss causing a tackle. He had zero missed assignments. Out of these plays, Noteboom had 4 ++ plays, which are either exceptional, or key blocks.

I know when the wheels came off the bus, Demby came in for Blythe at RG, and all hell broke loose.

Just a comment, in this game, in contrast to the first game, Noteboom was covered most of the game, so it was good to see two very different looks for him.

I am now very pumped to see Boom perform. I believe he’s a natural OLT, but performed extremely well with little experience at LG. If he can play with a little more edge, he’ll be great, and I do think he has the potential, if isn’t already a top 3 OL for us.

Thanks for reading.

Third post by DR RAM...

I jumped to the game against the Shecocks. He played well, in fact, the whole OL played well through 3 1/2 quarters. RT Havenstein, RG Blythe, C Allen, LG Noteboom, and LT Whitworth.

In this game he got all kinds of looks, going against NT’s, Ansah, and Clowney. Very solid game. The Rams run over him on short yardage plays in every game I checked out.

I’m moving on from Boom, I expect him to be above average.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Three encouraging posts about Boom at LG by DR RAM...

Rams43640August 28, 2020 02:51PM

DR Ram in his parent's basement

ferragamo79301August 28, 2020 04:14PM

Re: DR Ram in his parent's basement

Rams43214August 29, 2020 06:46AM

Re: Boom and the over the nose theory

Steve232August 28, 2020 11:21PM