Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

If college football doesn’t happen, NFL will likely also play on Saturdays...

August 09, 2020 06:45AM
If college football season doesn’t happen, NFL likely will play on Saturdays

[profootballtalk.nbcsports.com]

Bad news: There may be no college football on Saturdays this year.

Good news: There may be NFL football on Saturdays this year.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL likely will move games from Sundays to Saturday, if college football doesn’t proceed this season. It’s unclear whether the games would be broadcast, streamed, or distributed on a pay-per-view basis, but the league likely would backfill the vacant Saturday windows with NFL content.

The easiest approach would be to treat each Saturday like the late-season tripleheader the league staged in 2019, with a game at 1:00 p.m., 4:30 p.m., and 8:15 p.m. ET. That would trim the Sunday slate by three games each week.

There’s another wrinkle that would have to be addressed, quickly. The league would need a one-year dispensation from the broadcast antitrust exemption, which allows the NFL to sell TV rights in a league-wide bundle but prevents the NFL from televising games on Friday or Saturday from Labor Day through early December.

Regardless, with college football teetering on the brink and the NFL confident that its games will be played, 2020 could result in four days of pro football every week: Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

If college football doesn’t happen, NFL will likely also play on Saturdays...

Rams43371August 09, 2020 06:45AM

Re: Talk about a HOME RUN for all of us NFL FANS! A HUGE LOSS for College sports.

oldschoolramfan214August 09, 2020 07:45AM

Re: I agree

Speed_Kills121August 09, 2020 07:55AM

Re: I agree

oldschoolramfan135August 09, 2020 01:23PM

Re: yup I saw that yesterday

Speed_Kills134August 09, 2020 07:53AM