Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams CB David Long is ready to make a splash in Year 2...

June 03, 2020 06:46AM
Rams CB David Long is ready to make a splash in Year 2

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

One of the more surprising moves by the Rams this offseason was their decision to decline Nickell Robey-Coleman’s contract option for 2020. In doing so, Robey-Coleman became a free agent and quickly landed with the Eagles.

It was a clear sign that the Rams are comfortable with their younger cornerbacks on the roster, primarily David Long Jr. and Darious Williams. Long was a third-round pick in 2019 but was primarily a backup as a rookie, playing just 109 total defensive snaps.

Entering his second year in the NFL, Long is ready for a bigger role on defense and hopes to make a name for himself as a pro. He won’t be handed a starting job, though, and will need to beat out players such as Williams and Terrell Burgess in order to begin his ascent as an NFL cornerback.

In a recent interview with TheRams.com, Long explained his goals for the 2020 season and what he took away from his rookie year.

“My goal this season is be the best player I can be and really bring everything together. Last season I had a learning curve and progressed well, but I feel I now have the experience and skill set to be the player others have envisioned me to be and more,” Long said. “I also have a better understanding of what to expect, having a year under my belt. Things like lifting, workouts, diets…I just know what my body needs and what I need to get going. I also have a better understanding of the game of football spending a year with Eric Weddle and a good deal of time with Aqib and Marcus in the meeting room. I had a lot of these things last year, but I had to endure a learning curve and get my feet under me. So now I feel ready to make my splash and become a name amongst numbers.”

Long was a highly touted prospect out of Michigan last year, but he was blocked by some talented veteran cornerbacks on the depth chart. Aqib Talib, Marcus Peters and Robey-Coleman were all ahead of Long, as were Troy Hill and Jalen Ramsey later in the year.

Long eventually got his chance to contribute in the season finale with 76% of the defensive snaps played, and he made three tackles and broke up one pass. In all, he gave up 100 yards passing when targeted in coverage, allowed one touchdown catch and quarterbacks completed 69.2% of their passes in Long’s direction.

His playing time should increase significantly in Year 2, but only if he steps up and plays at a higher level consistently.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams CB David Long is ready to make a splash in Year 2...

Rams43249June 03, 2020 06:46AM