Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams 7 rd mock: How a WR first draft might play out for Rams...

April 13, 2020 08:07AM
Rams 7-round mock: How a WR-first draft could play out for L.A.

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

Two years ago, the Los Angeles Rams acquired Brandin Cooks just before the 2018 NFL Draft. It removed wide receiver from their list of draft needs, boasting arguably the strongest depth at the position in the NFL.

This offseason, the exact opposite has happened. The Rams traded Cooks to the Texans last week, bringing wide receiver back to the forefront in the draft. And with this being an incredibly deep and talented wideout class, it seems highly likely that the Rams will take a pass-catcher at some point in the draft.

But what if they prioritize wide receiver and select one with their first pick at No. 52 overall? Regardless of how the first 51 picks play out, there should be a Day 1 starter available for the Rams in the second round.

In this mock draft using The Draft Network’s simulator, we prioritized wide receiver and took one with the 52nd overall pick rather than selecting an offensive lineman, a pass rusher or a linebacker.

It’s a worthwhile exercise and something the Rams are certainly going through themselves, too, because it shows they can still get quality players at other positions later on. Of course, there’s a case to be made that the wide receiver depth is good enough that a top player could be had in Round 3 and 4, instead, but it was hard to pass up the options at No. 52.

Here’s the final haul:

52. WR Brandon Aiyuk, Arizona State

57. OLB Terrell Lewis, Alabama

84. LB Akeem Davis-Gaither, Appalachian State

104. OT Matthew Peart, UConn

126. G John Simpson, Clemson

199. RB Joshua Kelley, UCLA

234. CB A.J. Green, Oklahoma State

Aiyuk and Michael Pittman Jr. were the top wide receivers available at No. 52, as Denzel Mims, Jalen Reagor and Laviska Shenault Jr. were all off the board. Aiyuk is a dynamic playmaker, though, who fits well as an outside receiver in the Rams’ scheme. While not a blazer like Henry Ruggs or Reagor, Aiyuk is still great after the catch and can also contribute on special teams as a returner.

Had we gone with another position at No. 52, Justin Madabuike was available, but the Rams bolstered their defensive line in free agency. Jordyn Brooks was also in consideration, as was Josh Uche and Lewis, but Aiyuk was too good to pass up.

At No. 57, the pick acquired for Cooks, Lewis was the pick. While he has durability concerns, his ceiling is too high to ignore and worth taking a chance on. He has the potential to be a double-digit sack player early in his career.

Davis-Gaither looks to be a rangy, fast linebacker at the next level and in the third round, he’s a great value. Logan Wilson and Troy Dye were also in consideration there. At No. 104, the Rams prepare for the future with Peart, who could be the successor to Andrew Whitworth at left tackle. He needs time to develop, which the Rams fortunately have.

Simpson is a mauler up front and would join a deep competition at guard, while Kelley in the sixth round gives the Rams more depth at running back. Green has prototypical size at cornerback, and with the Rams’ talent at the position already, he would just be a developmental player.

It might seem unnecessary to take a wide receiver with their first pick, considering the Rams already have Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods and Josh Reynolds, but this haul shows it’s still possible for the Rams to come away with impact players at their other positions of need.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams 7 rd mock: How a WR first draft might play out for Rams...

Rams43400April 13, 2020 08:07AM

I’ve got a REAL hard time getting behind a mock that doesn’t take a RB until pick 199...

Rams43172April 13, 2020 08:10AM

Re: I’ve got a REAL hard time getting behind a mock that doesn’t take a RB until pick 199...

dzrams137April 13, 2020 08:29AM

Re: I’ve got a REAL hard time getting behind a mock that doesn’t take a RB until pick 199...

zn138April 13, 2020 08:41AM

dzrams163April 13, 2020 08:46AM

zn136April 13, 2020 10:25AM

I posted yesterday top rushers were mostly 1st 2nd rounders

ferragamo79143April 13, 2020 08:59AM

Re: I posted yesterday top rushers were mostly 1st 2nd rounders

dzrams156April 13, 2020 09:05AM

good question

ferragamo79127April 13, 2020 10:59AM

Re: I like this draft

merlin172April 13, 2020 08:54AM