Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jerry Jones: Rams, Aaron Donald ‘broke my heart’ in 2014 draft...

January 31, 2020 06:34AM
Jerry Jones: Rams, Aaron Donald 'broke my heart' in 2014 draft

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

Aaron Donald was a polarizing prospect in the 2014 draft. There was no denying his production at Pitt (29.5 sacks, 66 tackles for loss), but he was also considered undersized to play defensive tackle in the NFL.

The Rams put those potential concerns aside and looked at his potential, drafting him at No. 13 overall. Since then, he’s been named a five-time Pro Bowler, six-time All-Pro and two-time Defensive Player of the Year.

The Cowboys were sitting three spots behind the Rams in the 2014 draft and were eyeing Donald with their first-round pick. Jerry Jones told Donald on Thursday night in Miami that he was heartbroken Aaron didn’t make it to them in the draft.

“First of all, it broke my heart that they took you before we could take you,” Jones said, via TMZ.

Donald thought he might fall to the Cowboys, telling Jones, “I thought I was going to get there.” Dallas, of course, took Zack Martin at No. 16 overall, who has turned out to be a perennial Pro Bowler, himself.

Jones has often called pass rushers and defensive linemen – the great ones, primarily – “war daddies,” and that’s exactly how he described Donald. He said he’d be one in Dallas, praising the defensive tackle.

“I’m going to tell you something right here,” Jerry said. “You raise your hand to this guy. Now, this is the definition of a war daddy. This’ll be a war daddy right here!”

Jones would love to have Donald in a Cowboys uniform, but the Rams have him under contract through the 2024 season, so it’s hard to see him leaving L.A. anytime soon.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Jerry Jones: Rams, Aaron Donald ‘broke my heart’ in 2014 draft...

Rams43277January 31, 2020 06:34AM