Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TE and WR outlook for 2020

January 01, 2020 04:22PM
I thought I would do a preview of what the Rams have on the roster and lose on the roster as they head into the offseason. I'll combine some positions so I don't have a ton of posts and it will make it easier for me to find later on.

TEs:

Under contract for 2020:
Tyler Higbee - cap hit 8.63m - if cut 8.43m cap hit
Gerald Everett - cap hit 1.92m - if cut 0.63m cap hit

Free Agents:
Kendall Blanton - ERFA (If Rams offer him any kind of contract he is under their control for that amount for at least 1 more year)
Johnny Mundt - ERFA (If Rams offer him any kind of contract he is under their control for that amount for at least 1 more year)

Positional review: Mixed bag from the TEs this year. Everett was dinged late and Higbee emerged in the 2nd half of the season to be considered an actual threat that has to be accounted for. Mundt worked as a blocker and Blanton is depth. I think the Rams like what they have at TE for the time being but I thought we would see a big step up for Everett, but instead it was Higbee. They could make a nice 1 - 2 punch in 2020, if the Rams contunue with 2 TE sets.

Free agency & draft priority: low
With Higbee's contract and Everett's age, I just don't see a FA TE coming on board unless its someone on a very cheap deal for a year. One name to keep an eye on is Jordan Reed, lots of concussions, 29 years old and a new coaching staff add up to him getting cut, saving the skins 9m with no dead money. He could be re-united with McVay and protected by being a part time player for cheap.

I don't see anything happening with a TE in the draft unless they want to take a flyer on a guy in the 7th round, or they don't keep Mundt or Blanton. Decent depth in this draft so a late flyer or UDFA makes some sense.

WRs:

Under contract for 2020:
Brandin Cooks - cap hit 16.8m - if cut 21.8m cap hit - if traded 17.8m cap hit
Robert Woods - cap hit 9.18m - if cut 4.35m cap hit
Cooper Kupp - cap hit 1.2m - if cut LOL
Josh Reynolds - 0.9m cap hit - if cut 0.16m cap hit

Free agents:
Jojo Natson - RFA (restricted FA, Rams can tender at 1st, 2nd or original draft round and receive that rounds pick form the team that signs him)
Mike Thomas - UFA (unrestricted free agent, can talk and sign with anyone)
Nsimba Webster - ERFA (If Rams offer him any kind of contract he is under their control for that amount for at least 1 more year)

Positional review: Woods and Kupp had phenomenal seasons, both eclipsing 1000 yards. Kupp returned to being Kupp and played well despite having DCs try and scheme him out. Cooks had 2 concussions and was really ineffective after coming back. Reynolds was OK as a sub for Cooks and Natson and Thomas were ST contributors. And that is it.

Free agency & draft priority: medium
Much like the RBs with Gurley, the WR offseason activity all starts and ends with Cooks. His concussions are worrisome for 2 reasons. 1st, his health, he is a young man and he has 4 concussions and these last 2 were not caused by heavy hits. And 2, there is a saying in the NFL: the best ability is availability. And he wasn't available. So what can you do with him, I doubt he gets cut, its cheaper to keep him, I cannot imagine he gets re-structured either due to the concussions and adding more guaranteed money. So IMO he either gets traded or is kept for 1 more year as the Rams take their medicine,same as Gurley. If he is traded, the Rams are selling low.

Beyond that, it should be interesting to see if there is any interest from any teams (including the Rams) on Thomas, who has been a ST standout that offers nothing in the form of offense. I imagine he is worth more to the Rams then anyone else, so I could see him returning, if not, its ok. I would love to see a returner upgrade off of Natson since I just don't trust his judgement or decision making skills. Beyond that, I don't see any action form the Rams in FA on a WR.

As far as the draft goes, I would love to see a WR drafted in the middle somewhere. So much speed and size. And it is a deep class. IMO you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't draft one.A guy that would be absolutely dynamic on the Rams would by KJ Hill from Ohio State. Another under-rated WR with some size is Denzel Mims. Pittman jr. from USC is had a great year and could be a middle round guy. Quentez Cephus is going to be an interesting prospect as he was found not guilty of sexual assault so background checks will be important, but he is a fit. Ruggs or Smith if they slide are speed guys the Rams could use from Alabama, can't imagine they are around int he 3rd.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TE and WR outlook for 2020

Deadpool404January 01, 2020 04:22PM

Re: TE and WR outlook for 2020

leafnose167January 02, 2020 05:39AM