Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

McVay says TaylorRapp is ‘just going to continue to get better’...

October 24, 2019 06:09AM
Sean McVay says Taylor Rapp is 'just going to continue to get better'

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

Since taking over as a starter in 2017, John Johnson has quickly developed into one of the best young safeties in the NFL. Unfortunately, that development has hit a roadblock as he suffered a shoulder injury in Week 6, landing him on injured reserve for at least eight weeks, if not the rest of the season.

Fortunately, the Rams are deep at safety and have another outstanding young player ready to step up. Taylor Rapp filled in for Johnson on Sunday and played very well, leading the defense in snaps played and finishing second in tackles with six.

He and Marqui Christian did their best to take Johnson’s place in the secondary, which are no small shoes to fill. Sean McVay is encouraged by Rapp’s play and believes he’s only going to keep getting better.

“They did a really nice job. I think Taylor Rapp taking on added snaps, really did a great job,” McVay said on Monday. “I thought Marqui did a great job in a lot of our known passing situations, you can just feel his range. Taylor Rapp is just a player that’s just going to continue to get better. Like we’re talking about with David Edwards, mature beyond his years for a rookie and doing a lot of good things from those two.”

Rapp is a very reliable tackler, missing just one tackle this season on 32 attempts, a missed tackle rate of 3.1%. That’s an important trait for a safety, being the last line of defense.

He’s at his best when playing close to the line of scrimmage, too, working around blocks and making tackles in the box. The Rams seem to have gotten a steal with Rapp in the second round and he’s only seven games into his NFL career.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

McVay says TaylorRapp is ‘just going to continue to get better’...

Rams43567October 24, 2019 06:09AM

2020 2nd rounder needs to be just as good...

LMU93240October 24, 2019 06:46AM

Re: What do you feel the top picks need to be?....NM

dzrams168October 24, 2019 07:34AM

off the top of my head...

LMU93280October 24, 2019 07:37AM

Re: off the top of my head...

Rams43244October 24, 2019 08:39AM

agreed....OL/DL...or EDGE....

SunTzu_vs_Camus297October 24, 2019 02:09PM

Re: agreed....OLINE and LB!

oldschoolramfan115October 25, 2019 06:35AM

what a dumb headline.....