Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Seahawks Head Coach Pete Carroll - Conference Call - October 1, 2019

October 01, 2019 01:02PM
TRANSCRIPT: Seahawks Head Coach Pete Carroll - Conference Call - October 1, 2019

(On his impressions of the Rams through the first four weeks of the season)
“They (the Los Angeles Rams) put together three good wins and had a tough day last Sunday. Played good teams and played tough, tough football. They’re really good. They’re a really well-balanced team, they give you problems on defense, their offense is balanced with the run-game and all of the mixture in the passing game. Special Teams with (Special Teams Coordinator) John Fassel, it’s a headache from the moment you take them on. Very difficult team to play against.”

(On what he has seen from Rams RB Todd Gurley II)
“He’s (RB Todd Gurley II) looked good. His numbers are good – he’s splitting time, somewhat. We’ve got him carrying the ball 50 times to (RB Malcolm) Brown’s 25 times, so he’s getting two-thirds of the work there. Looks like they’re just mapping out a course for the season and keeping him healthy and fresh. He looks pretty darn good to me.”

(On if he could clarify whether he said Gurley II or Rams QB Jared Goff didn’t look as explosive when he spoke with the media earlier this week)
“Maybe I screwed it up. I was talking about the quarterback (Rams QB Jared Goff) because his numbers haven’t been as big until this last week and then he just went crazy. Throwing for 520 (yards) or whatever. We respect these guys, we know these guys really well and regard them as high as you can regard a team. We know that their top-end stuff is just so dynamic that we have to be really in-tune with everything we’re doing.”

(On if he anticipates the Rams will utilize Gurley II more this week compared to the first four weeks of the season)
“I can only go, really, with what they’re doing. They can do whatever they want, of course, but it looks like they have a plan. It showed last year midway through the season that they had a plan for him. There’s nothing that we would do differently because their offense is exactly the same. Malcolm runs the heck out of the football doing what he’s doing. One guy’s averaging 4.5 (yards per carry) and the other’s averaging 4.4 (yards per carry). Really doesn’t change us.”

(On what challenges will the Rams and Coach McVay face when it comes to maintaining the level they have the last couple years with roster changes)
“It’s truly just staying abreast of what’s going on, that’s with your players and with the scheme and the style of play and all that. You have to just keep going, it never stays the same. You’ve got to just keep going and growing, adapting as you go. (Rams Head Coach) Sean (McVay) does an extraordinary job of taking over his program, as well as anybody has ever done. He knows what he is doing, so he’ll see as things come and players start to change. Our roster has changed drastically in the years I’ve been here. You have to adapt. I’m sure he is going to do a great job of that.”

(On what the year has been like so far for the Seahawks)
“We’ve been trying to find us. We played a nice game this last Sunday, kind of in a balanced way. I think we are still growing. We have a young team that is led by experienced players. With some of the guys that we have, they haven’t been with us very long. (DE Jadeveon) Clowney and (DE) Ziggy (Ansah), those guys have not been around long. (Lcool smiley Mychal Kendricks has not played a lot with us on defense. I really feel like we are just continuing to kind of figure it out. Hopefully, we can win some games and keep rolling while we are figuring it out, so we can get our act together as we get to the second half of the season and really know who we are, what we are. (Qcool smiley Russell (Wilson) is off to a really good start. He’s playing great football, it’s the best he’s ever been. He’s learning his new receivers. There’s just a lot of growth happening here and I’m hoping we can stay on the positive end of things while we find ourselves here, in the coming weeks.”

(On if he thinks that other teams around the league are also still trying to find themselves after a month into the season)
“I don’t think that’s any different than any other time. I think it’s a process and we learn about who we are and what we’re doing. I think often the first four games, you know like the first quarter of it, doesn’t really tell you the story. It just tells you how you started. I don’t know how far we can take this. I do really like the mentality of our team and where they want to go and what they’re trying do by the way they’re working. We have hopes for really putting together a good club by the end of the season. Other teams, they’re all in their own deal and in their own situation and I can’t really speak for them.”

(On if he thinks that given the way preseason and training camp has changed compared to how it was handled in the past has played a part in the first month of teams trying to find themselves and develop cohesiveness)
“I do think it does. Really, if you look at it, (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) has been as proactive as anybody, changing the format of the preseason. He’s made a statement about not using his guys and really saving them through the preseason and then in the years they’ve always started well. He’s done a really good job of doing it, but I think he’s affected a lot of other people. There’s a lot of teams that aren’t playing their guys in preseason. It only stands the reason that there’s going to be some issues there that you’ve got to learn about. A new coach or another coach that does it differently than he’s done it in the past, you’ve got to figure out what the outcome of that is. I do think that Sean has influenced a lot of guys to hold guys back. How that bodes for starting the season, it differs from team to team. I don’t think there’s anything written yet about that. We’ll see and it’s an interesting time.”

(On if he’s changed anything in the preseason)
“A little bit.”

(On the play of his offensive line being a strength)
“Yeah, we’re counting on that. It’s important to us to be able to run the football. I don’t feel like we had as much continuity going into the season as we would like with a couple guys banged up. (G) Michael Iupati was not ready to go during camp, so he missed a lot of time, and (Seahawks OT) George Fant missed a bunch of time. Two integral guys for us. I don’t mean to be making an alibi or an excuse. I just think we’re still getting better. I’m hoping that this will be a really strong part of our club. I love the leadership and the toughness, we’ve got a huge bunch of guys. We have running backs that like to hit the line of scrimmage. So that whole things is part of the makeup of our team. I think we’re going to get better. We’re not hitting the same kind of clip that we have running the football yet, but I’d like to see us improve.”

(On his impression of WR Cooper Kupp from the time he came into the league to where he is now)
“Well, I don’t know if you would say it’s quietly he’s done it. He’s had great impact on their club. He’s such an integral player for them. He’s just such a good football player. He makes so many things happen, contributes in so many ways. He’s clutch, he’s difficult, he’s good at the run after catch. He’s had some big plays this year. He’s just an excellent football player and they’ve got him doing a bunch of things that he’s really good at. I think it’s a really good job by the coaches to utilize his unique talents.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky284October 01, 2019 01:02PM