Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – September 16, 2019

September 17, 2019 12:24AM
TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – September 16, 2019

(Opening Remarks)
“Pretty cool to have the naming rights for the stadium with SoFi – that’s a big deal. Kind of gives you an excitement and lets you know that we’re getting closer and closer to being in that stadium. Certainly, our focus is on this season, but I think it says a lot to be able to get those naming rights and that means a lot to us.”

(On injury updates following Sunday’s game)
“(OL) Austin Blythe got some good news on his ankle injury. He’s going to be day-to-day with that. It’s a low ankle sprain. You end worrying that it might be a season-ending injury because he’s such a tough competitor. (TE Tyler) Higbee had a lung contusion, he’s going to continue to be day-to-day. (DT) Aaron (Donald) had an oblique (injury), in which case he returned to the game. All those guys will be day-to-day.”

(On WR Cooper Kupp’s individual effort on his 66-yard reception)
“That was really impressive. Just to be able to beat a great player like (Saints CB Marson) Lattimore initially, and then the run after the catch. What was as equally impressive is if you watch the way that (WR) Brandin Cooks and (WR) Robert Woods are competing without the ball, looking to get a block to help spring him (WR Cooper Kupp). That play really epitomizes I think what’s unique about this team and those individuals and it was awesome by Cooper to be able to do that. I wish they would’ve given him that touchdown.”

(On reports that TE Tyler Higbee went to the hospital and was coughing up blood following Sunday’s game)
“He (TE Tyler Higbee) was, but everything’s checked out. He’s feeling good, he’s asymptomatic with that in terms of the nuances and those things. He’s feeling good and that’s why he’ll be day-to-day.”

(On if he expects Higbee to play on Sunday against the Browns)
“I think what we always want to do is what’s best for the players. I’ll get the medical report in terms of – we’re never going to put our players in harm’s way. Whatever the doctor’s orders are, what’s in the best interest of (TE) Tyler (Higbee) is exactly what we’ll follow. What that means as far as this week, the following week – we’ll have a little bit more updates as we go.”

(On if he knew what play Higbee’s injury occurred)
“It was on the play on the right corner where he (TE Tyler Higbee) and (Saints Ccool smiley Eli Apple went up for a ball. (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) threw a corner route to him and it was on that play.”

(On how the secondary is involved in the success of both pass coverage and run defense)
“I think they do a great job. A lot of the communication comes from that back end and how it affects, really, the second and third levels – and even, sometimes, the first level of our defense. You can’t say enough about the overall communication, the urgency – especially going against a high-caliber unit like we did yesterday. You’re seeing a lot of positive things, really on all three levels. I think that’s what’s contributing to the efficiency in the run downs. Then, when you’re getting a chance to get into some pass-rush modes when you’re getting to get back on track in some of those third-and-longs. Our overall effort as a defense yesterday – I thought was outstanding. Two weeks in a row, to be able to create a turnover on the opening possession is big. If we continue to play like that, we’ll be in good shape.”

(On the safeties’ ability to play in pass defense and how that helps decide the 46-man gameday roster)
“It’s huge. When you have versatile safeties that have the ability to play coverage, to be able to play in the box, to be able to activate them as blitzers, they’re really those joker-type players for the defense. We feel like, really, when you look at our guys that are playing safety – with (S) Eric (Weddle), with (S) John Johnson (III) and (S) Taylor Rapp – all three of those guys have a similar skill-set. They’re all very smart, cerebral players. Those are things that really enable us to be a little bit more multiple than what you would otherwise, so it’s a huge deal to have those guys.”

(On what he’s seen from DT Aaron Donald in the first two games)
“I think he’s been really good. I think yesterday was a big step in the right direction where he influenced and affected the game in a lot of ways. You see the way that he was able to create penetration consistently. He had a couple of plays where he’s getting into the backfield. You have to almost look, and it’s amazing how quickly he gets back there. The first TFL (tackles for a loss), he ends up stuffing it, and then (Lcool smiley Clay (Matthews) ends up capping it off. Then, he gets another one later in the game, draws a couple of holding calls on some big plays that came out. He’s affecting the game in a huge way and sometimes it doesn’t always show up on the stat sheet. If you look at play in and play out, it’s been impressive.”

(On how what Aaron Donald impacts other players on the team)
“A lot, he’s a huge impact. That’s why football is the greatest team sport there is. I think our coaches, I think our players are kind of understanding how we can ultimately be a great unit, and that’s the most important thing. When you’ve got a great player like (DT) Aaron Donald, that enables the other 10 (players) to play at a higher level. That’s what the great ones do, they raise the level of play of everyone around them. I think that’s exactly what Aaron is doing for us.”

(On if T David Edwards will become the next option for tight end)
“He could, that’s something that we’ve talked about. In a lot of those instances, you look at what are some of the different personnel groupings that we could have utilized in that situation. There were some conversations that, knock on wood, if (TE) Gerald (Everett) were to go down, that potentially he could be able to come in and do that.”

(On how TE Tyler Higbee impacts the offense, and if he’s not available if TE Johnny Mundt will be activated)
“I think that would probably be the natural progression. As far as what he’s done, really, he’s contributed in a variety of ways. You see how efficient he is really being asked to do a lot of different things. Whether it’s blocking in the run game, blocking in protections, you see him make plays in the pass game, when he’s gotten his opportunities. I think his versatility is extremely valuable. I think his leadership has enabled Gerald Everett to continue to grow. I thought Gerald did a nice job stepping in for Tyler. Playing more snaps than he’s accustomed to, made some big plays, then he also did some really good stuff in the run game which was encouraging as well.”

(On what he saw from QB Jared Goff when he watched the film from the Saints game)
“I thought he did a great job. I think really, especially, you look at the third play of the game offensively, what an unbelievable throw it was to (WR) Brandin Cooks. We had some patches in there offensively where we didn’t finish in the red zone. There were some really poor decisions on my part. Really, there is no excuse, just poor decisions. Especially on the third down when we ended up throwing the screen to Gerald. That’s just a bad design, bad idea, there is really no way of running around that one. I thought as the game progressed, Jared made some big-time throws. With guys in his face being able to find (WR Cooper) Kupp over the middle. Even on the touchdown or the 66 (yard pass), or however long it was, to Cooper, you can see he did a great job sitting on his back foot letting Cooper work a little bit, got some push from (Saints DE) Cam Jordan on the right, ends up delivering a perfect throw. I think he did a lot of really good things. I thought as the game went on, he continued to get better and that’s a real demonstration of what we are looking for.”

(On how well the interior lineman did when OL Austin Blythe left the game)
“I thought (OL) Jamil (Demby) did a nice job. He came in and played 40-plus snaps for us. There’s always going to be a couple things, whether you’re a guy that’s played a bunch of football or not that you can correct. You could see the game wasn’t too big for him. He did a really good job of just kind of seamlessly transitioning. (C) Brian Allen’s really demonstrated a lot of maturity for a guy that’s only started his second game at center. (OL) Joseph Noteboom took some steps in the right direction. Really, when you look at those three guys, very young group. They did a good job as the game progressed. For Jamil, it was a real positive step for him to be able to come in, get that live game experience. There’s no substitute for that and that was positive for us.”

(On if there was one play that OL Jamil Demby would want back)
“It was probably the play that (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II) ended up having to kind of take over an interior lineman. He should have been blocking on a play action where we ended up throwing to the back of (TE) Gerald’s (Everett) head. That was a play that we didn’t have a lot of things go our way on that one. There was a handful of things that we can clean up in that specific play.”

(On what he was thinking when Goff threw a long pass to WR Brandin Cooks and if it was off play action)
“I was thinking that it was a great job by him recognizing exactly what he saw. (Saints CB Marshon) Lattimore’s a great corner, the backside safety was cheating with the other vertical route we had coming on the opposite side in the 3-by-1, so he knew he had the ‘iso’ that he wanted. (WR) Brandin (Cooks) you could just see it was that acceleration. When that ball was in the air, (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) did a great job of turning it over. It went 60-plus yards in the air. It was two great players making a great play right there. I was glad because the first two plays didn’t go so well (laughs).”

(On if T Bobby Evans is the next man up or if there is any consideration on any practice squad players if Blythe misses a game)
“Those are things that we’ll discuss as the week progresses. You’ve got (C Shelton Coleman), you’ve got Bobby Evans, you’ve got two guys that we feel confident that could potentially end up being active on gameday. Those are things that we’ll kind of sort through and we’ll start to have a little bit more clarity as the week progresses.”

(On facing two opponents back-to-back that are playing on Monday night and how that impacts their preparation)
“It really doesn’t affect our preparation. I think it is a little bit unique. The only thing you’re waiting on is the game tonight, kind of similar to last week. A lot of what today entails is kind of cleaning up the previous day’s game, making sure your taking care of your own business from a self-scout. Just being aware of all those little things. Then when you start to get into the early stages of our prep where tomorrow really represents the bulk of the early down-and-distance workload. Doesn’t really change much from us. Typically, sometimes we talk about when you travel a couple time zones do you go two days out? We’ll leave on a Saturday, go the day before because we’ve had some success. We like doing some of those things that came up last year playing on Sunday night on the road as well.”

(On Goff passing touchdown to Cooks)
“It was a great play by him. I think really, he recognized that they were in a zero-coverage structure. For him to be able to kind of step to that hard run action and be able to negotiate that window in between the linebacker and then Brandin being able to beat Lattimore on the slant. Those are the types of throws you got to be able to make in the red zone. Whether it be that third play or that play specifically, that was an impressive connection by those guys to be able to punch it in.”

(On Cooks strong catch ability)
“That was a great catch. Good strong hands in that tight quarters. He’s made plays like that over the course of his career. We probably should have given him some more opportunities to do that. Those are things that he’s done consistently in practice and it was good to be able to see him do that in a game. Those two made a nice play right there.”

(On what the degree of difficulty is of catching a ball that has been in the air for so long and high)
“Well I’ve never caught something that long or that far down the field, you’ve got to ask Brandin about that. When you’re tracking a ball down the field especially, when your eyes come back, naturally you have a tendency to slow up. For Brandin to be able to find that ball, accelerate, and then you can see he actually caught the back tip of that and then brought it back in before he went to the ground. Because if he didn’t kind of regather it on his way down, it probably would have been one of those when it hits the ground it actually comes out. A lot of good things. I think Brandin would be better equipped to answer that one.”

(On LB Bryce Hager run stops and his evaluation of Hager)
“(Lcool smiley Bryce (Hager) has done a really nice job in our base defense and in some of our heavier-situational packages. He’s played really consistent. He’s done exactly what we’ve asked of him. That’s kind of what Bryce has done any time he’s gotten his opportunities. We keep referencing when he ended up playing a bunch in the Arizona game a couple years ago. These first two weeks have represented good consistency from Bryce. He continues to be a big part of special teams. He’s done a really good job. He definitely was involved in that fourth-and-one stop. That was a great reflection of great play by our whole defense, if you just look at the push that we were able to get. Everybody winning their gaps, winning up front. I thought consistently as a whole, our defense played really physical. They did an excellent job all day you could feel from the first snap to the last snap they brought it. There was an urgency with the communication, and I think it showed in the way they played from the jump.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – September 16, 2019

Shaky298September 17, 2019 12:24AM