Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – July 29, 2019

July 30, 2019 12:16AM

(On if it was a veteran’s day off)

“It was, typically what we’ll do is those third days kind of typically represent a deload type day. So, for those veterans, those guys that have accumulated a lot of experience, usually around that seven-year plus experience, or (DT) Aaron (Donald) is kind of in that category as well, but we’ve got a couple guys that we want to be smart with. But the nice thing is when you’re able to get a bunch out of morning walk throughs and things like that and then we’ll come out here, we’ll be full pads tomorrow, then we will get our first day off the following day and come back for a couple of good practices against the (Los Angeles) Chargers, which we know what a great team they are. So, it will be good work for us.”

(On what he hopes to see when the team practices in full pads)

“A lot of the same that you saw today. We won’t go to the ground or anything like that, but I think it’s really guys just understanding how to fit blocks, how to play the game in the equipment that we play in. And typically, the times that you’re competing with a helmet on and you don’t have the shoulder pads and some of the contact that inevitably occurs, that’s where you really want to educate guys. But still want to try to stay off the ground but you can get some good looks and a better chance to evaluate your guys up front. Some of the combinations, you can get a better chance to really evaluate the run game and different things like that. So, it’ll be pretty similar. You know, today we were in helmets and shoulder pads and that’ll really represent in terms of the physicality, kind of the same for tomorrow we’ll just have our pants on.”

(On guys who are rotational players and how important it is for them to train and practice smart)

“I think it’s extremely important, because all you can control is what you put on tape and what you absorb from a meeting standpoint. Really, we always want to make sure that we’re learning from those opportunities that we have. But, it’s kind of the same old cliché, control what you can control and so often especially in sports you can get ahead of yourself. Then you’re like, ‘Wait how did we get here?’ You just want to accumulate those small things and then they end up leading to those big changes hopefully over time, but the guys have done a great job. I think really those guys especially, like (DT) Sebastian (Joseph-Day), appreciate that because the more that he’s able to produce in the present, the better chance he’s going to have to be a big-time contributor for this team, which he certainly put himself in a position to be that.”

(On if the work that guys like Joseph-Day put in last year is paying off)

“I think so. I think more that anything but a lot of the stuff that happened last year are things that we can use as learning things to move forward in a positive way. Whether we won or lost the game, there are always learning opportunities and as you continue to accumulate that experience, if you use it for the right reasons, you can build on it. And I think we’ve got the guys that are wired the right way. They’ve got the right intrinsic motivation. They come out here and they compete, they’re very coachable and accountable. That’s really all you can ask for.”

(On TE Gerald Everett’s progression going into year three)

“I think you said it, he’s done a great job. I think Gerald, unfortunately when (WR) Cooper (Kupp) went down, he got some more opportunities then maybe he would have otherwise. I thought he capitalized on those opportunities. He really built on it with a great offseason program. I think he’s continuing to understand some of the little details. You know, the tight end position involves so many different things we’re moving them all over formation, run game, protection. Obviously, the past came with what he can do but he’s really giving himself a chance to be a big-time contributor. I think you’re really seeing him continue to kind of grow up. But the talent has always been there and just continuing to learn how to do it and be a true pro. He’s got a lot of guys that are good examples of that. We are very pleased with Gerald right now.

(On how OLB Samson Ebukam is doing after his injury)

“He’s doing great. I didn’t realize how much pain he was playing through last year. You can see just his get off, his suddenness, his explosiveness, that’s always been the elite trait of his. But not having to fight through the constant nagging pain that he was with that knee injury. I think he feels a lot better about it and you’re seeing it show up. Still three days in, but you can feel him and just talking to him he sounds like he’s feeling a lot better. And then when you just look at him closely and you see the way he’s able to get off, and some of the ways he’s able to just play strong and explosive. You see it paying dividends and hopefully we can keep him healthy throughout the season.”

(On WR Brandin Cooks training camp so far)

“He’s been great. He’s the epitome of being a pro. You talk about a guy who is detail oriented, locked in, loves the game, takes his preparation seriously and then he has the talent to match it. He’s been outstanding and really, he looks strong, he’s taken really good care of himself. The challenge for us is continuing to get him that work and see if we can maintain that strength and feeling as fresh as he does throughout the season. That’s a great challenge but when he is feeling like he is right now and he’s doing those little things the right way, he’s one of the premier players in this league. We’re glad he’s on our team.”

(On T Andrew Whitworth helping the young offensive lineman)

“He’s been great. Those are the things that he just kind of does naturally because he’s invested in these guys. He wants to help out. Like we’ve said, he’s one of the greatest leaders I’ve been around, it’s nothing that is forced, that’s just who he is. It just comes naturally. I think his teammates feel that and usually your teammates are the best guys that have a feel for whether it’s genuine or not. It’s hard to find a more genuine guy, got a lot of empathy about him and he’s obviously a talented player that’s been doing this for a long time. Another guy you feel so fortunate because it seems like all the guys we’ve talked about, you’re thinking to yourself, ‘Man I feel really lucky to be able to work with these guys.’ That’s why you’re confident in this team as long as we take it a day at a time.”

(On if anyone who was out was out for injuries)

“None of those guys.it was all predetermined, planned so nobody was held out because of injury, really through the first three days of camp haven’t had any, knock on wood, of those soft tissues, anything like that. So that’s a positive for us.”

(On what a veteran like LB Clay Matthews brings to the team and locker room)

“Just that. Anybody that’s played as much as he has and had the amount of success, been in a big-time organization, where he’s been a world champion, that’s always something you can learn from. He’s a guy who, whether it’s myself or whether it’s a teammate, he’s come in and he’s worked the right way. I think when you see these guys that have produced at such a high level you kind of just watch them and you see why you’ve been able to do it. And (Lcool smiley Clay (Matthews) is no different than some of the other guys that we have, but he’s done a great job so far and we’re counting on big things from Clay Matthews.”

TRANSCRIPT: Rams LB Clay Matthews – Media Availability – July 29, 2019

(On if at this point in a players’ career there is something to be said about hitting the reset button that gives you some more juice)

“I was talking to (S Eric) Weddle today about one of the things that you don’t really understand is when you go to a team, you get to prove yourself all over again. That’s the spirit of football and athletics in general is the competition. So, to come out here with a new coaching staff, new players, new media, new fans to prove yourself and what you’ve been able to do in the past – that’s the exciting part. It provides a level of energy that might have not been there in the past few years, so I’m excited about that.”

(On if Rams camp is structured different from Green Bay)

“There are some similarities. We practiced in the mornings when I was in Green Bay and we practice in the evenings here. But as far as a strength and conditioning standpoint and the athletic trainers, I think that they do a fantastic job of taking care of some of the vets on the team. To have a day off like this, I didn’t get many days off in Green Bay. But, you look at what they did last year - I think they took some heat in the preseason when they didn’t play their starters but that seemed to work out well for them. It sounds like they kind of on the forefront of sports science, taking care of players and making sure we stay as healthy as possible.”

(On his perspective on the notion of a ‘Super Bowl hangover’ since his former team won 15 games the season after their Super Bowl season)

“I mean, when you lose is there still a hangover? (laughs) I don’t know if it is much of a hangover. No, but like I was saying, one of the things that I noticed about this team from early on is - it’s really hard to explain unless you’re a part of the locker room. There’s so much talent around here. When you’re a part of a team that has that much talent and you see how much it means to each and every player. You know, I had spoken about Weddle, with a guy like (Ccool smiley Marcus Peters, (Ccool smiley Aqib Talib, guys who have made the Pro Bowl and take it upon themselves to be true professionals. Obviously, what (DT) Aaron Donald’s been able to do. Re-signing (OLB Dante) Fowler. There’s just a level of talent that we should be able to put something together and do something special. I can’t speak on behalf of any hangover or curse or whatever you like to call it. But this team looks primed and ready to make another run at it.”

(On if he feels any kind of responsibility helping them out some of the younger players like Fowler and OLB Samson Ebukam and to lead by example)

“Yeah, I feel very much the same as when Julius Peppers came to Green Bay for a few years. I had been there for a few years and was considered the leader at that point, but when you have a guy that’s a future Hall of Famer, you kind of defer to their knowledge and what they’ve been able to do. With Dante and Samson, especially, I’ve been trying to help them out and pick their brains and make sure they pick mine as well and really help them out, so when I’m done, they can continue to progress and move forward and be stud athletes.”

(On if the transition was smooth with his family moving back to SoCal)

“Well, we got three kids in four years, so it’s anything but smooth moving from Green Bay. So, they got back in town a few weeks ago. We had our third (child) in March, earlier this year so, the nights have been pretty eventful. Our son, Clay IV, likes to join us in bed most nights, so coming to camp, believe or not, I got to take a couple of days off. No, it’s been great though. We lived out here in the offseason. For us to come back and play at Cal Lutheran, my wife couldn’t ask for a better situation, we as family couldn’t have asked for a better situation. As I’d said earlier, on top of that, the team is good, it’s not like I’m joining any other team, I’m joining a contender.”

(On him impressions of Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips and anything he may have heard from players who have played for Phillips before)

“One of the things I noticed is he puts his guys in positions to succeed. You can’t help but for me personally look at what he was able to do in Denver with (Broncos OLcool smiley Von (Miller) and (former OLcool smiley DeMarcus (Ware). DeMarcus serving nine, 10 years with Dallas and then going over there and having the same amount of success. One of the things he allows us to do as playmakers is to play to our ability. Sometimes when you’re in certain defenses they want you to do certain things, but here, it’s all about making plays and playing to your ability and making plays. He allows us to do that and I think that’s what allows his defenses to be so successful.”

(On the atmosphere at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum for a USC game against Fresno State)

“I haven’t been back there in quite some time, but when we played Fresno (State) it was Reggie Bush – I wouldn’t say coming out game, but he had like 500-something total yards. It might have even been a sellout. It was a night game, about 92,000 (fans). Fresno, they always play the underdog role. They hung in there tough, I think it was a high scoring affair. But, season opener and the success historically at (USC) has had, hopefully we can get back on track. It should be a good environment, though. Hopefully the Trojans win that one.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky257July 30, 2019 12:16AM