Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams QB coaches play ‘therapist role’ for Goff, at times...

May 30, 2019 08:44AM
Rams QB coaches play 'therapist role' for Jared Goff at times

Cameron DaSilva

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Jared Goff hasn’t gone consecutive years with the same quarterbacks coach since his college days. He’s now on his fourth QBs coach in as many years, dating all the way back to his final season at Cal in 2015.

This season, he’ll actually have two guys coaching him up at the position: Shane Waldron and Zac Robinson. Waldron doubles as the pass game coordinator and quarterbacks coach, while Robinson is stepping into his first season as the assistant QBs coach. They work in conjunction with Sean McVay, who has a great relationship with Goff.

Going through that many coaches is never easy for a quarterback, but Goff is making it work. He’s excited about Waldron and Robinson being on the staff and helping him develop into an even better quarterback next season.

“I think there’s a lot of give and take. I think a lot of times, they play different roles. My relationship with Sean is growing so much to where I work pretty closely with him and the other guys are filling in when they can,” Goff said this week. “But they’ve done a great job. Shane and Zac have been awesome for me and they both bring different things to the table that are so good for a quarterback.”

With two quarterbacks coaches in the fold, Goff gets a lot of coaching – and that’s not even including what McVay does for him. He says Waldron and Robinson are almost like therapists at times, allowing Goff to vent about certain aspects of the game.

Of course, Waldron and Robinson also point out things Goff can do better and help him develop.

“My relationship with Shane has built over the last three years and now having him in our room is awesome,” Goff said. “And then Zac’s brand new and at times they have to play the therapist role where I’m venting to them about stuff and then other times they have to get on me about stuff and it’s been good. They’ve both been incredible for me and I’ve enjoyed my time with them.”

Robinson is a former NFL quarterback himself and previously worked at Pro Football Focus as the site’s lead QB analyst. He’s watched every throw made by Goff and has studied the Rams quarterback extensively, so he has a great feel for where Jared can improve.

If all goes well, the Rams have to hope another team doesn’t poach Waldron or Robinson as their next head coach or coordinator, as so many others have done in recent years.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams QB coaches play ‘therapist role’ for Goff, at times...

Rams43366May 30, 2019 08:44AM