Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Micah Kiser says ‘it’s kind of surreal’ to play alongside Clay Matthews...

May 29, 2019 05:47AM
Micah Kiser says it's 'kind of surreal' to play alongside Clay Matthews

Cameron DaSilva

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

For the second time in as many years, the Los Angeles Rams will have a new starter at inside linebacker. Last year, Cory Littleton replaced Alec Ogletree after the Rams traded the veteran to the Giants. This offseason, they cut Mark Barron, opening up a starting spot next to Littleton.

Micah Kiser looks to be the front-runner to start in place of Barron, but Clay Matthews will also get some time there, too. Regardless, there will be a new face in the middle of the defense.

The two will be on the field plenty together, as well, when Matthews lines up outside and Kiser is at inside linebacker in base packages. Kiser is almost in awe of playing alongside Matthews, who he says he watched growing up when Matthews was at USC.

“He’s a really cool guy to be around. Someone like me, I grew up watching Clay when he was at USC with Rey Maualuga and [Brian] Cushing and all that, so it’s kind of surreal to play next to him and have a locker close to him, so that’s real cool,” Kiser said Tuesday.

Kiser can learn a lot from Matthews, who’s been in the league for a decade and played at a high level throughout his career. The two linebackers talk during OTAs and practice, developing a connection on the field.

Kiser is excited to play next to him and learn from him this season.

“Clay’s a vet so we’re just always like – he’ll ask certain questions about how hard are things. I’m like, ‘Bro, they’re going to really look out for you.’ This is Year 11 for him so he’ll be fine,” Kiser said.

Kiser has been taking first-team reps on defense during OTAs and has a clear path to starting next to Littleton. That’s obviously a huge step for him, but he’s just focused on taking it day by day.

“You just go out and do your best. We’re a deep team, we have a lot of great safeties, a lot of great linebackers, so just whatever my role is, I’ll just run with it,” Kiser said. “That’s just who I am, just go out, be my best, do my thing on special teams, try to play more on defense and just have fun with it and help the team win.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Micah Kiser says ‘it’s kind of surreal’ to play alongside Clay Matthews...

Rams43168May 29, 2019 05:47AM